Amex platinum cruise privileges run around

cusematt4

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

Do you ever have issues when AMEX says it's not combinable?  Or has RCL eased upon this (similar to how the shareholder benefit is almost always combinable now, but wasn't for a period of time).  For example, can this be applied if booked into agency "group space"?  Are there any sales that have caused issues?  Or does this work pretty seamlessly these days?

The terms state that it’s not combinable with TA Group rates so that is typically the only catch. 

Also, the agent never talks to anyone at AMEX, it’s just an online AMEX website that you fill in some info. But when you call into the cruise line they will tell you if it’s combinable or not. Like I said, the only one so far I’ve been denied was when it was a TA group rate/booking. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Travel agent here... Any travel agent can apply your Amex Platinum CPP to your booking.  It does not have to be an Amex agent or Amex travel direct... but the agent does need to know what they are doing and have a login to a special website.  Many agents are confused and don't think they can do it.  Amex will lead you to believe that only they can offer it... that's not true.  Simply find one who can.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bumping this up.

The OBC provided by AMEX , are they OBC you will see in your account immediately via cruise planner? Or are these OBC's you will see deposited to your account once on board?

My experience with AMEX bases TA it super positive. Much better than any other TA's I have used in the past!

13 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Once final payment is made, our cruise planner/travel agent puts through the request through AMEX and the OBC credit then shows immediately in the cruise planner

Thanks for info! Just took a few hours for it to update on my cruise planner! Just looked and it was applied! 

Have to say AMEX TA is top notch. They were able to get me moved to a GTY Balcony (from a GTY inside)  after final payment because the rates for my upcoming cruise dropped significantly. No price increase either!

Fjord's cruise just got even more exciting for me. Wife and I had already planned early days to get up to the deck's for the deep Fjord's passages. Now I can just roll out of bed to the balcony.. LOL!! Keeping it a secret from the wife! Want to surprise her!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, Cruise Gopher said:

The terms state that it’s not combinable with TA Group rates so that is typically the only catch. 

Also, the agent never talks to anyone at AMEX, it’s just an online AMEX website that you fill in some info. But when you call into the cruise line they will tell you if it’s combinable or not. Like I said, the only one so far I’ve been denied was when it was a TA group rate/booking. 

Does the request to verify/add OBC from this program occur after the final payment?  Or can this be put in the system the day we put down our deposit?

On 10/18/2022 at 11:27 AM, adolfo2 said:

Nope, not necessary (I know first hand)... you just need to find an agency that's taken the time to sign up with AMEX to offer CPP benefits. 

What do we tell our new (new to us) TA that is more than willing to get us the CPP OBC for the new booking that we made with her?  Do we have to wait until after we make the final payment to request for OBC with American Express??

15 minutes ago, Psoque said:

What do we tell our new (new to us) TA that is more than willing to get us the CPP OBC for the new booking that we made with her?  Do we have to wait until after we make the final payment to request for OBC with American Express??

Can’t be requested until final payment has been made. All payments must made with the appropriate card

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psoque said:

Does the request to verify/add OBC from this program occur after the final payment?  Or can this be put in the system the day we put down our deposit?

yes you have to wait until final payment. They need to see that you made all payments with the applicable Platinum Amex card. 

12 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

yes you have to wait until final payment. They need to see that you made all payments with the applicable Platinum Amex card. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You request (i.e. agent does their thing) after initial deposit. I have several sailings in the pipeline for late 2024/early 2025 with AMEX CPP already applied and these are nowhere near final payment.

We get the Amex Plat perks when we book on the ship then transfer to an AMEX Ta.  Some TA's do not participate in the Amex program.  Make sure that you use an AMEX TA.  We had a TA who initially was a participating Amex platinum TA, but dropped her membership- perhaps didn't want to share any commissions.  Make sure you ask the TA and get an e-mail from her stating you will get additional shipboard credit- some TA's won't give you any credit or free dinners on board.

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You request (i.e. agent does their thing) after initial deposit. I have several sailings in the pipeline for late 2024/early 2025 with AMEX CPP already applied and these are nowhere near final payment.

Technically you are correct, however I would never do it that way because if the customer were to make a payment on their cruise with a different credit card it could then put the OBC in jeopardy of being revoked. I just don’t chance it, so that’s why I wait until after final payment is completed. 

23 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Technically you are correct, however I would never do it that way because if the customer were to make a payment on their cruise with a different credit card it could then put the OBC in jeopardy of being revoked. I just don’t chance it, so that’s why I wait until after final payment is completed. 

Technically, BUT the customer can't make a payment on their own... has to go through you, the agent.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 10:21 PM, mnorkus74 said:

Travel agent here... Any travel agent can apply your Amex Platinum CPP to your booking.  It does not have to be an Amex agent or Amex travel direct... but the agent does need to know what they are doing and have a login to a special website.  Many agents are confused and don't think they can do it.  Amex will lead you to believe that only they can offer it... that's not true.  Simply find one who can.

So I had already booked with a TA before I learned about CPP.  I talked to my TA about it and she didn't know what I was talking about.  She asked around and another agent friend said she's been able to call Amex and get the OBC for her other clients.  I did use my platinum for the deposit.  My TA tried calling but Amex says they'll only talk to the cardholder.  Is there anything else she can do to help me get this credit?  I keep reading about codes and tracking numbers that she needs to tie to my cruise booking.  Can anyone elaborate what these codes are?  Just hoping if we call Amex and use the proper terminology, we'll get results.  Thanks

7 hours ago, CrackerJack21 said:

So I had already booked with a TA before I learned about CPP.  I talked to my TA about it and she didn't know what I was talking about.  She asked around and another agent friend said she's been able to call Amex and get the OBC for her other clients.  I did use my platinum for the deposit.  My TA tried calling but Amex says they'll only talk to the cardholder.  Is there anything else she can do to help me get this credit?  I keep reading about codes and tracking numbers that she needs to tie to my cruise booking.  Can anyone elaborate what these codes are?  Just hoping if we call Amex and use the proper terminology, we'll get results.  Thanks

You have to pay for the entire cruise with your American Express Platinum card. Your TA has to be able to get American Express to apply the benefit.  Mine says she does it using some online area and doesn't have to talk to anyone at American Express. Once you've paid for the cruise in full and your TA has gotten the benefit from American Express, you will see the OBC when you look at the reservation online.  That said -- for Royal Caribbean, we should get OBC and a bottle of champagne.  On the Radiance cruise we took last March, we got the OBC, but Guest Services acted like they never heard about getting champagne.  But I'm currently on the world cruise and we did get the bottle of champagne.  Because we booked this as "one cruise," and now it's actually 17 legs, we only got OBC for "one cruise."  LOL!  Oh well -- it's better than nothing, but I truly believe AmEx should have given us OBC for each of the 17 legs as I do have 17 reservation numbers.  The shortest leg is 9 nights and the longest is 28 nights (the one we're on now -- Los Angeles to Brisbane).  

7 hours ago, mnorkus74 said:

Rezsaver is the Amex web portal that the TA needs to use. 

Thank you, my TA is unfamiliar with Rezsaver, is this something she needs to sign up for and do you know if there is a cost to her?  I've tried finding things online about it and am having no luck.  My TA seems reluctant to pursue if there is a cost, which is understandable.

• 3 months later...