Drinks in hand luggage?

PhilE123

We are boarding Britannia this week, mega excited and just started the proper packing.

In line with P&Os new policy we are taking some drinks on board (boarding in Southampton) - so we can have a drink on the balcony while the little one sleeps without having to tour the ship first.

My question is about packing, can I put them in hand luggage, or is it airport style security where any liquids need to be in "hold luggage"?

Just don't want baileys split all over my new tux 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks!

You can put the drink in either hand or hold luggage.  If you want to drink straight away,  put the drink in your carry on luggage, as it can be a while before your suitcases are delivered to your cabin.

Your bags will be scanned,  but the security staff are looking for guns, knives etc, not fluids, so no problem with alcohol, perfumes,  shampoo etc. Much different to airport security.

Also, just to point out that the security staff have no interest whatsoever in the P&O one litre per person alcohol limit rule ! 

We put bottles in hand luggage, wine boxes in suitcases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PhilE123 said:

We are boarding Britannia this week, mega excited and just started the proper packing.

In line with P&Os new policy we are taking some drinks on board (boarding in Southampton) - so we can have a drink on the balcony while the little one sleeps without having to tour the ship first.

My question is about packing, can I put them in hand luggage, or is it airport style security where any liquids need to be in "hold luggage"?

Thanks!

Hand luggage. Or main luggage. Have a good trip. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, wowzz said:

Tesco are selling a Banrock Station merlot in a plastic rectangular bottle for £6 which is bith light and unbreakable. 

Worth a look

16660820584345518897574272686563.jpg

Sorry about the inverted image ! Hooefully you get the idea !

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Tesco are selling a Banrock Station merlot in a plastic rectangular bottle for £6 which is bith light and unbreakable. 

Worth a look

They also do/did a white.  Can't remember which style though.  The Ole Lady loves the stuff, we got loads of it last time we were there.  Checkout lady commented that the bottles were like shampoo bottles!

Asda also do 1.5 litre boxes of Jam Shed and 19 Crimes.  Several boxes already bought for next months cruise!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

They also do/did a white.  Can't remember which style though.  The Ole Lady loves the stuff, we got loads of it last time we were there.  Checkout lady commented that the bottles were like shampoo bottles!

Asda also do 1.5 litre boxes of Jam Shed and 19 Crimes.  Several boxes already bought for next months cruise!

Not too keen on Jam Shed. A bit too jammy for me !

Good to know you are stocking up !

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Worth a look

Is this an Australian wine ?🤣. We put ours in the hand luggage.  A small suitcase with wheels, we put some soft drinks in as well. DW can wheel it along quite easily. 

• Haha 1

Don't forget your mixers!

You can also take unlimited soft drinks onboard. On our last trip the eight of us took a shed load of cans so, with our eight different bottles of spirits, it was party night every night before dinner.🥃🍸🍹😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Is this an Australian wine ?🤣. We put ours in the hand luggage.  A small suitcase with wheels, we put some soft drinks in as well. DW can wheel it along quite easily. 

Yes, Australian.  Very quaffable. And 25% off with the Tesco offer that starts today .

Added bonus is that it does not  make a noise when you drop it in your recycle bin !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Main luggage so I'm not carrying it far.

To protect it stick the bottle down the leg of a pair of trousers, roll the trousers and place it in the middle of the case.

I've done this for years on flights and never had a bottle break.

Or if you have sufficient spase in your case, use bubble wrap. Weighs very little.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PhilE123 said:

Thanks!

Phil, might see you on board

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PhilE123 said:

I thought allowing booze on board was a newish thing? Not a regular so may have boofed that one!

Until about four years ago, P&O allowed passengers to bring unlimited quantities of alcohol on board. This freedom was abused mainly by those on short booze cruises.

As a result, the one litre of alcohol per person rule was introduced. Some of us wine lovers may slip in an extra bottle of wine, as we are at a disadvantage versus spirit drinkers, but I, for one, still manage to build up a sizeable bar bill during the cruise. 

• Like 3

On 10/18/2022 at 9:34 AM, wowzz said:

Worth a look

Thanks for this, what a brilliant idea!

Although we normally take a box on (each!) this is also really handy to know about.

• Like 1