Live from Majestic Princess - 20th October 2022

On 12/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, MMDown Under said:

If someone prepurchased a celebratory meal at a restaurant for you, how would you feel if that restaurant then asked you for an extra $80 per couple?  That is how I feel about the extra charges being charged at some restaurants on cruise ships.  This is no longer a token amount.  We can eat well at a restaurant for $80!!  

I don't feel that way. In comparison, the ingredients are better, the attention to detail is better, the waiter is far more attentive with less people to serve. 

And most importantly, it is voluntary.

Yes, these were $20pp fifteen years ago, and considered a token amount. Considering all the other things that have doubled in price over the past 15 years (including quality cuts of beef), I still consider it a token amount. 

Now, $90+ pp for Chops Grill on Royal, that is definitely OTT, but people still pay for that too.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:51 PM, windsor26 said:

Thanks  I had hoped it was $28 as I saw this on the Princess site but probably US$

Currently it is $US32, but the app can't tell the difference and you can pre-book via the app for $AU32pp. Once aboard, the menu pricing is $40.

PS: That was the last time I looked. Drink packages are going up, so maybe these as well. I already have ours booked for Feb & November.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:04 PM, Aus Traveller said:

They might have difficulty selling places at the specialty restaurant at $52.60pp.

Maybe, but with more people booking premier packages, they are also having trouble fitting everyone in on some nights.

Royal is still charging way over this amount, even for some basic Jamie Oliver tapas. People still book there.

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Currently it is $US32, but the app can't tell the difference and you can pre-book via the app for $AU32pp. Once aboard, the menu pricing is $40.

PS: That was the last time I looked. Drink packages are going up, so maybe these as well. I already have ours booked for Feb & November.

I booked with the app recently and had the money deducted, $A28, almost straight away, so it is a bargain. If they charge the higher price and you don't like it, you can cancel and get your money back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nnps said:

I booked with the app recently and had the money deducted, $A28, almost straight away, so it is a bargain. If they charge the higher price and you don't like it, you can cancel and get your money back.

I keep trying via the app but it says try closer to the day and it is only January cruise

2 hours ago, nnps said:

Did you have to pay ahead on your credit card or will the cost of the specialty dinner come off your OBC?

39 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I keep trying via the app but it says try closer to the day and it is only January cruise

You need to click on "make a reservation", not explore dining options.

Via the app today, the prices for Crown Grill (and the other specialty restaurants) are:

$52.65 Adult

$26.33 Kids

This is for a cruise in late February, and another in November.

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Did you have to pay ahead on your credit card or will the cost of the specialty dinner come off your OBC?

For a suite or premier package, you can use those dining voucher credits as payment. OBC can be used once aboard, but not when pre-booking. Maybe worth a phone call, but you need to pay by credit card when booking via the app.

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For a suite or premier package, you can use those dining voucher credits as payment. OBC can be used once aboard, but not when pre-booking. Maybe worth a phone call, but you need to pay by credit card when booking via the app.

OK. So it is like pre-booking internet where I had to pre-pay. Strangely, I was able to book shore excursions paying from OBC.

The reason I asked about specialty dining is that we have $735 OBC on an up-coming cruise and I wondered if a fancy dinner might be a way to use some of it.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

OK. So it is like pre-booking internet where I had to pre-pay. Strangely, I was able to book shore excursions paying from OBC.

The reason I asked about specialty dining is that we have $735 OBC on an up-coming cruise and I wondered if a fancy dinner might be a way to use some of it.

Unless you have a short cruise, where I would suggest biting the bullet if you want a reservation, just book as soon as you board and you will have no probs. Easy to apply your OBC that way.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Unless you have a short cruise, where I would suggest biting the bullet if you want a reservation, just book as soon as you board and you will have no probs. Easy to apply your OBC that way.

It is a 14 day cruise so I might book as soon as we board. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

No it came out of my account almost instantaneously. (and I had some OBC)

Edited by nnps
addition

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, arxcards said:

Bistro Sur La Mer (specialty). We had dinner there one night. It was lovely food, but the lack of ambiance does detract a bit. It is just tucked over to one side of the atrium, so not my idea of an intimate dinner.

I will look through my photos, and pick some to post later.

Bistro Sur La Mer is no longer on Majestic Princess. Next month prior to her Alaska season, she will be getting a specialty seafood restaurant - "The Catch". I get the name, but the timing is interesting, considering what we caught on Majestic on this cruise. I am not a huge seafood person, but Barb will love the change of restaurant and menu when we get back to Majestic in November. The ambiance is unlikely to change, as I can't see the layout being much different.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/04/princess-cruises-unveils-the-catch-by-rudi-new-signature-seafood-restaurant.html

Yes, I know, I still haven't put a bunch of photos up. Maybe one day.