Carnival “May”Crackdown on Chair Hogs

sunonfire

1 minute ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

lol, just move the stuff onto the ground and have a seat.  I don't subscribe to people hogging lounge chairs, if no one has come back for 15 min and I'm waiting, I'm taking that seat.

Agreed. That's what I do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

That's what is no nice about the Havana area on some ships. Don't have to deal with that nonsense.

I don't believe for a second that they will enforce it.

There is no family version of Havana area and my little guy is discriminated against because of his age (even though well behaved) so we are prohibited from that area for the time being, unfortunately.  

28 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Me too. Hey, this is starting to sound like a movement! 😁

One of the worst type of offenders are the ones that say 'I put my stuff down then go have breakfast at the buffet and then come back to my lounger'. WRONG and inconsiderate. Why don't you go have breakfast first, then go and get you lounger? The response is, 'Well, there won't be any loungers available then'. That's because everyone is being inconsiderate and doing the same thing. That's the ONLY reason you see scores of loungers reserved at 8:30am but nobody in them or in the pool. 

If everyone just went to a pool lounger WHEN they needed it rather than trying to reserve one for 6 hours a day there would be constant turnover of loungers and always loungers available. If someone wants a lounger for 6 hours a day and won't be in the lounger all that time then rent one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

One of the worst type of offenders are the ones that say 'I put my stuff down then go have breakfast at the buffet and then come back to my lounger'. WRONG and inconsiderate. Why don't you go have breakfast first, then go and get you lounger? The response is, 'Well, there won't be any loungers available then'. That's because everyone is being inconsiderate and doing the same thing. That's the ONLY reason you see scores of loungers reserved at 8:30am but nobody in them or in the pool. 

If everyone just went to a pool lounger WHEN they needed it rather than trying to reserve one for 6 hours a day there would be constant turnover of loungers and always loungers available. If someone wants a lounger for 6 hours a day and won't be in the lounger all that time then rent one.

^^^^^THIS! 

• Like 1

Carnival has been doing a crack down on chairs forever, more towels have got a suntan then people, on our first cruise in 1996 they were going to handle the chair hog problem. It was something people were up at 5: to put something on a chair and show up 0900 or later to use the chair, we are not in that rat race anymore

Confession time:

Hi, my name is ShakyBeef.  (and the group says "Hi, ShakyBeef") 

I never use deck chairs.  But I read all the chair hog threads here.  And I am irritated by chair hogging, even though it has no direct effect on me.  I guess this says something about me.  Maybe a few things.😕😔

Glad that's off my chest.  Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Confession time:

I never use deck chairs.  But I read all the chair hog threads here.  And I am irritated by chair hogging, even though it has no direct effect on me.  I guess this says something about me.  Maybe a few things.😕😔

OK,you gotta tell us the story behind your screen name. You made me laugh! 😂

On the rare occasions I've chosen to sit :gulp: on deck under the :sneer: sun when there was a shortage of un-hogged lounges I have kindly asked a nearby person if they were saving the two chairs I point at, and when they say "no", I then gently move the items from atop the chair to beneeth the chair and sit my poorly shaped arse carefully down and begin reading.  On the one occasion when anyone returned before I left (replacing the items back atop the chair) I told the person "No need to thank me for saving your chair," get up and move on.

I feel a little dirty for baring my sin, here. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

OK,you gotta tell us the story behind your screen name. You made me laugh! 😂

Oh boy, here goes: 

First, the advice:  Don't choose your screen name for an online forum when on a near-starvation weight-loss diet.  You will be obsessed with food.  All the names you will be able to come up with will be food-oriented.  Trust me on this.  In the midst of a hunger-induced brain fog, it might even seem like a good idea to choose a weird, slightly funny, possibly disgusting-sounding food-oriented name.  Maybe a food that 99% of the people who will see your screen name have never even heard of.  And then you will be stuck with this name forever after.

Next, the rest of the backstory:  Bò lúc lắc is one of my favourite Vietnamese dishes.  Bò lúc lắc (pronounced baw look lock) translates, loosely, to "shaky beef," because of the way the pan is shaken while quick-frying the dish.

I was very hungry when I picked my CC name.😔😋

Now, it's your turn, kwokpot.  I've was amused by your name when I first saw it.  I figured it's like "crackpot", but maybe Kwok is your last name?  Am I close?🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Confession time:

"Welcome to fellowship ShakyBeef" 😁

It's not just deck loungers, my son likes the water slide area a lot so we hang out near there a lot and people try and lock-down all the chairs around that whole area as well. I usually will just toss it on the next chair over and take a seat but it  is frustrating, especially on a sea day when the DJ is bumping music and you want to chill and enjoy the party atmosphere and there is nowhere to sit. And don't even get me started on the card/game players who like to take the prime dining seats near the eateries and lido buffet area. Take your game somewhere else for crying out loud, folks trying to sit and eat. I've seen folks take up these locations for hours while people that are trying to sit down and eat are left to do laps trying to find somewhere to eat. 😡 

• Like 2

Oh boy, here goes: 

First, the advice:  Don't choose your screen name for an online forum when on a near-starvation weight-loss diet.  You will be obsessed with food.  All the names you will be able to come up with will be food-oriented.  Trust me on this.  In the midst of a hunger-induced brain fog, it might even seem like a good idea to choose a weird, slightly funny, possibly disgusting-sounding food-oriented name.  Maybe a food that 99% of the people who will see your screen name have never even heard of.  And then you will be stuck with this name forever after.

Next, the rest of the backstory:  Bò lúc lắc is one of my favourite Vietnamese dishes.  Bò lúc lắc (pronounced baw look lock) translates, loosely, to "shaky beef," because of the way the pan is shaken while quick-frying the dish.

Now, it's your turn, kwokpot.  I've was amused by your name when I first saw it.  I figured it's like "crackpot", but maybe Kwok is your last name?  Am I close?🙂

Kwok is popular first name, I know a few with that first name. Maybe he likes hotpot also. 😄

Edited by cruisingguy007

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

"Welcome to fellowship ShakyBeef" 😁

It's not just deck loungers, my son likes the water slide area a lot so we hang out near there a lot and people try and lock-down all the chairs around that whole area as well. I usually will just toss it on the next chair over and take a seat but it  is frustrating, especially on a sea day when the DJ is bumping music and you want to chill and enjoy the party atmosphere and there is nowhere to sit. And don't even get me started on the card/game players who like to take the prime dining seats near the eateries and lido buffet area. Take your game somewhere else for crying out loud, folks trying to sit and eat. I've seen folks take up these locations for hours while people that are trying to sit down and eat are left to do laps trying to find somewhere to eat. 😡 

Have you ever been on an Alaska cruise, wandering the Lido dining area at a busy breakfast hour with your tray of quickly cooling food, desperately looking for a seat, any seat, while walking past many, many window-facing tables hogged by one whale-watcher person with a pair of binoculars and no food at all?  I have.  Those people suck.

• Like 2

Oh boy, here goes: 

Love the backstory!

You're close on my screen name. Kwok is my middle name and part of my Chinese name(Kwok Fai is my Chinese name,which translates to Brilliance of the country). It means country in Cantonese . When I was in High school I worked at a local discount store with my other high school friends. I worked in the small appliances section and of course we sold crockpots. My friends knew my middle name and coined the jokename 'kwokpot'. No one calls me that but it makes for a fun online screen name. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

Have you ever been on an Alaska cruise, wandering the Lido dining area at a busy breakfast hour with your tray of quickly cooling food, desperately looking for a seat, any seat, while walking past many, many window-facing tables hogged by one whale-watcher person with a pair of binoculars and no food at all?  I have.  Those people suck.

I could imagine lol. People suck sometimes. Haven't done Alaska yet, plan to do it someday and will probably wait until covid isn't a concern and when that global warming kicks in to full gear and heats the place up to more hospitable temperatures. 😁 

I've read several reviews by others and it has inspired me to want to go now for sure. Some really great photos and some neat things to do. It's on my list, not super high, but definitely on the list. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Love the backstory!

You're close on my screen name. Kwok is my middle name and part of my Chinese name(Kwok Fai is my Chinese name,which translates to Brilliance of the country). It means country in Cantonese . When I was in High school I worked at a local discount store with my other high school friends. I worked in the small appliances section and of course we sold crockpots. My friends knew my middle name and coined the jokename 'kwokpot'. No one calls me that but it makes for a fun online screen name. 

Love it!🤣  Crockpot! - didn't think of that one, even though I use one frequently.  Thanks for sharing.😊

16 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

lol, just move the stuff onto the ground and have a seat.  I don't subscribe to people hogging lounge chairs, if no one has come back for 15 min and I'm waiting, I'm taking that seat.

Mmmm, I'd use a slightly longer timeframe than 15 minutes.   That's barely enough time to go to a busy bar for a drink or to use the restroom, etc.   

Carnival sets the time officially at 40 minutes and that's fine with me;.  If I were setting policy I'd probably make it 30 minutes and you're out.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Love it!🤣  Crockpot! - didn't think of that one, even though I use one frequently.  Thanks for sharing.😊

It was the first thing I thought of.  

I never would have guessed the original of Shakybeef though.  Although I too have done a very strict diet and thought of nothing but food so I get it. 

• Haha 1

I don't lay out by the pool so this subject really doesn't apply to me, but it makes me really angry that people are so self-centered. On my last cruise, after breakfast we went out to the lido deck and the live wake show was on the big screen. I wanted to sit down but all the loungers had towels or whatever on them. I moved a towel to the top of the lounger and sat on the bottom of it. If the "owner"came by I would have gladly moved but they never did. So I say, just move their stuff and use the chair.

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 3:07 AM, Pellaz said:

Mmmm, I'd use a slightly longer timeframe than 15 minutes.   That's barely enough time to go to a busy bar for a drink or to use the restroom, etc.   

Carnival sets the time officially at 40 minutes and that's fine with me;.  If I were setting policy I'd probably make it 30 minutes and you're out.  

Agreed with at least 30 minutes for a good time frame, and 40 is more than fair - 15 really is a bit short. The person could be in the pool or whirlpool for a good 15-20 minutes and if it were me, I'd be upset if someone moved my stuff in that short of a time.

I've seen deck chairs be 'reserved' and unoccupied for half the day or more with nobody touching the items on the chair and none of the staff marking it in any way. Personally, I really only have ever seen this be a problem around the pool and water play areas (even on other cruise lines) - there are usually plenty of deck chairs elsewhere on the ship where the bar servers are still attentive and you can still hear music from the pool areas if you're just wanting to soak up the sunshine. 

• Like 1

I hope they do. I can understand why they don't. Imagine being the person who is constantly being chewed out by entitled jerks who felt their lounger should be reserved for 4 hours. Can you think of a worse job?

The only reason I think it might be any different now is from the larger ships, sailing at full capacity. Carnival knows how limited the space is, and dedicated plenty of space to other things. To make the model work, they are going to have to patrol this. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:01 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Chair hogs are worse IMO, keep the pot in the designated smoking areas and it doesn't bother me much, chair hogs though, I'd like throw them overboard lol.  

Agreed. Smelling .02 seconds of pot smoke affects exactly zero people. I don't care. Hell, they're usually a ton of fun to be around. (unlike drunks) But chair hogs blister my butt. I will move their stuff and hope they gripe about it. It's the most inconsiderate thing on a ship, IMO. When I had small kids and needed to be directly beside the pool to make sure I could see my kids, I handed about 3982 flip flops and books to the attendant.