Refund for canceled cruise?

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

I hate to ask this here!  But, if we were to cancel (possibly to re-book) our cruise, how would this work?  We have paid for most of the cruise with several Princess cards that we had got with a discount.  Also booked an excursion wth a credit card.

How would this refund be made?  Does anyone know if there are long delays and waits for Princess refunds right now?

Before the final payment date you would be refunded whatever you paid.  After the final payment date It depends whether or not you have travel insurance.  This page explains the refund policy applicable to cruise cancellations:

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

If you purchased travel insurance and have to cancel for a covered reason (most commonly some illness or family emergency that prevents you from traveling) the insurance will generally cover whatever amount is not refunded under the standard refund policy.  If you have "Cancel for any reason" insurance that refund will be made in the form of future cruise credits that can be used to book another cruise.

If you paid with gift cards, I would assume the refund would be put back on those gift cards.

Edited by Vexorg

We had a similar booking, except we were before final payment and booked thru a CVP.   We cancelled a cruise that was paid almost 100% with gift cards, purchased thru one of the promotions.   Our CVP was able to make a notation in the booking that the gift cards were to be moved to an existing booking.  Took around a week or so for everything to be finalized. The other option was to refund the monies to the original gift cards.   Fortunately I kept track of the gift card numbers and which cruise they were applied to.   

Thank you so much!   That info above is very helpful.  If it is possible to have the amount put towards another existing booking, then that would be the best way to go about it.    I think we do have all of the card info.  A couple were actual cards, and a couple were just E-certificates.  I will have to check.

Well, this won't. help us anyhow.  You all can count me in with those who are just done dealing with Princess.   I am reading other post about past cruisers not being able to access the rates and perks that they should.  And, I know that this is just nothing compared to some other stories here.    But, we do not have a Princess Planner who will even return calls We  have tried for weeks to get her to respond.    I know, for sure, that we can book and get the rate and the 100.00 per person credit.   Have a travel agent who has a booking on hold with all of this in place.   Princess will not make this right.   They will not let us cancel and refund to our Princess cards in any reasonable amount of time, so we can't book with the TA and use these cards.  They are holding this money hostage.

One of the reasons for this cruise was to go ahead and use up these Princess cards.  We just don't want these things hanging around, waiting to book with Princess again.   

They also will not forward this to another Princess Planner.   We even forwarded the absent planner that we had a screen shot of this other TA booking.   NO answer.   Dead air.  No willingness by Princess to make this right.

We have enjoyed sailing on Princess before.  But, like some have said,  our patience and loyalty can only go so far.  Dealing with Princess is just a nightmare.

1 hour ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Well, this won't. help us anyhow.  You all can count me in with those who are just done dealing with Princess.   I am reading other post about past cruisers not being able to access the rates and perks that they should.  And, I know that this is just nothing compared to some other stories here.    But, we do not have a Princess Planner who will even return calls We  have tried for weeks to get her to respond.    I know, for sure, that we can book and get the rate and the 100.00 per person credit.   Have a travel agent who has a booking on hold with all of this in place.   Princess will not make this right.   They will not let us cancel and refund to our Princess cards in any reasonable amount of time, so we can't book with the TA and use these cards.  They are holding this money hostage.

One of the reasons for this cruise was to go ahead and use up these Princess cards.  We just don't want these things hanging around, waiting to book with Princess again.   

They also will not forward this to another Princess Planner.   We even forwarded the absent planner that we had a screen shot of this other TA booking.   NO answer.   Dead air.  No willingness by Princess to make this right.

We have enjoyed sailing on Princess before.  But, like some have said,  our patience and loyalty can only go so far.  Dealing with Princess is just a nightmare.

We cancelled our cruise with a travel agent (not a Princess agent) because we could never get her to call us or answer our emails.  We had paid with gift cards in the Princess promotion - buy $500 get $50 free.  The gift cards were returned almost right away…but the bonus cards we lost because they were past the expiry date and are non refundable or transferable.    We booked the exact same cruise but with Princess, just the person who answered the phone.  And now we can talk to anyone and even use the chat feature whenever we want.  Like that much better.

• Like 1

Did Princess not assign you a Planner and have them contact you.

Even when we call Princess, they will not really even try to answer our questions or make this right.

They say,  contact your Planner.

It doesn't matter if a TA is Princess or another agency, I think there are good ones and bad ones.  

We also called the main customer service number of this online agency, with a question, as our TA was off at the time.  Got thru and got great service.

When an outside can get you the rate you know you should get and the perks that you know are offered, but Princess will do everything they can to tell you 'Can't do that'...  and not do what they should, or make it right.  That says a lot.

3 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Did Princess not assign you a Planner and have them contact you.

Even when we call Princess, they will not really even try to answer our questions or make this right.

They say,  contact your Planner.

When we went to book we told them we didn’t want a planner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Thank you so much!   That info above is very helpful.  If it is possible to have the amount put towards another existing booking, then that would be the best way to go about it.    I think we do have all of the card info.  A couple were actual cards, and a couple were just E-certificates.  I will have to check.

Mine were all e-cards.

@PRINCESS Sweet Pea wow sounds like you have my fired CVP. She was useless so I was reassigned. As to timeline on getting refunds:: my December 2022 cruise dropped in price yesterday and she handled it. Refund showed up as a credit on my visa card today. She's also been able to readjust all my FCC so that none expire worthless, 'lift & shifted' airfares, worked through ship redeployment which entailed moving gift card payments from 1 cruise to another, and gotten me OBC that no one else can find (or doesn't know how to find) 

I can't share her initials but there are good ones out there. I'd be telling Princess to connect me to a supervisor then telling the supervisor to reassign me to one who has been there 5+ yrs