Luggage limits for 2022-23 Antarctica cruises

cruiseej

On 11/28/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lauranne said:

I completely agree with @cruiseej I thought Oh no when I read the comment about taking three suitcases. If many choose to take more than the luggage allowance, whose suitcase could potentially be left behind. I certainly hope NOT the ones who abided by the limit. 
Laurie

As I will be on a transatlantic with Silversea immediately prior to flying to Santiago, I plan to leave my second suitcase in storage at the hotel.  Boots aside, surely one case plus carry on is enough for Antarctica?  Even with some bulky layers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WesW said:

Have the Silver Cloud Puerto Williams to Capetown (South Georgia Islands) and Capetown to Mahe booked in March, so have the need for good hiking shoes and BOG boots.  Am considering using Luggage forward for one bag (place BOG boots, other heavy items) to Puerto Williams. Silversea luggage valet does not serve Antarctica but Luggage Forward quoted me prices and does.

Has anyone used Luggage Forward for Antarctica?

We're doing Cloud Puerto William's to Walvis Bay in 2024. So safari post Antarctica. Thinking of doing something similar with one bag.  Would love to know how it works out. Luggage Forward served us well this summer to Oslo. We put smart tags in and enjoyed watching their journey. Who knew our luggage was a Chick-Fil-A fan. 😀 Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We just disembarked the Cloud on November 27th and there was no problem with the weight limits on the charter flight to Santiago.   The subject was never discussed during the disembarkation process.

We had three suitcases each weighing approximately 38 lbs.  Several passengers had more luggage than we did and there were no problems.  The overhead bins on the airplane were small and anything larger than a very small suitcase would not fit.  If they were too big the crew put them in the baggage hold of the plane.  

The entire process was handled very well by Silversea and the crew of the charter plane.  It was however a very long day from leaving our room at 8:00 am and checking into the hotel  in Santiago at 5:00 pm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We just disembarked the Cloud on November 27th and there was no problem with the weight limits on the charter flight to Santiago.  The subject was never discussed during the disembarkation process.

If they were being careful about weight/luggage capacity, I would think it would be on the flights going down to Puerto Williams, more than coming back. No one can acquire much to add to their luggage on an Antarctica cruise! 😉  What about when you checked in in Santiago for the flight south? Did they not care about/question the third bag?

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We had three suitcases each weighing approximately 38 lbs.  Several passengers had more luggage than we did and there were no problems.

So you and others just disregarded the limits stated by Silversea? (I'm not criticizing, just asking). Did you have a plan if they stopped you and said the limit was one 50 pound bag per person, or did you just assume it wouldn't be questioned? 

I wonder if they look at luggage closely when there is bad weather which might reduce the capacity of the plane, but ignore it on good days? Or is the stated limit not really a limit at all, and those who make tough decisions what not to bring in order to meet the stated limits end up being the ones who are penalized? I'm aware that some passengers last year had their luggage left behind in Santiago because the plane was at its capacity, and I won't be the one who might cause someone else to have their dream vacation ruined by having their luggage left behind. But if the 50 pound/1 bag limit isn't a real limit, I really wish Silversea would tell passengers what the real limit is.

I do know many people here say 50 pounds isn't/shouldn't be an issue, and I'm sure we'll find a way to make it work. But we do have our own boots to lug along, and camera gear, a laptop, and two Kindles (and their cords and chargers). We just ordered a very expensive lightweight travel CPAP machine just to make my wife's carry on capable of carrying more. I'd like to take a pair of hiking shoes for Port Stanley, but probably won't because they add a few pounds; I'd like to take one or two pair of binoculars, but may not if we're at the weight limit. I'd like to take a sport jacket and an extra sweater or two for a three week trip, but I'll jettison such optional extras if I'm over the limit. We can and will make it work at one bag of 50 pounds each — but it sure would be nice to know if we could go over the weight or bring a third small duffel bag and not have to make these choices!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If they were being careful about weight/luggage capacity, I would think it would be on the flights going down to Puerto Williams, more than coming back. No one can acquire much to add to their luggage on an Antarctica cruise! 😉  What about when you checked in in Santiago for the flight south? Did they not care about/question the third bag?

So you and others just disregarded the limits stated by Silversea? (I'm not criticizing, just asking). Did you have a plan if they stopped you and said the limit was one 50 pound bag per person, or did you just assume it wouldn't be questioned? 

I wonder if they look at luggage closely when there is bad weather which might reduce the capacity of the plane, but ignore it on good days? Or is the stated limit not really a limit at all, and those who make tough decisions what not to bring in order to meet the stated limits end up being the ones who are penalized? I'm aware that some passengers last year had their luggage left behind in Santiago because the plane was at its capacity, and I won't be the one who might cause someone else to have their dream vacation ruined by having their luggage left behind. But if the 50 pound/1 bag limit isn't a real limit, I really wish Silversea would tell passengers what the real limit is.

I do know many people here say 50 pounds isn't/shouldn't be an issue, and I'm sure we'll find a way to make it work. But we do have our own boots to lug along, and camera gear, a laptop, and two Kindles (and their cords and chargers). We just ordered a very expensive lightweight travel CPAP machine just to make my wife's carry on capable of carrying more. I'd like to take a pair of hiking shoes for Port Stanley, but probably won't because they add a few pounds; I'd like to take one or two pair of binoculars, but may not if we're at the weight limit. I'd like to take a sport jacket and an extra sweater or two for a three week trip, but I'll jettison such optional extras if I'm over the limit. We can and will make it work at one bag of 50 pounds each — but it sure would be nice to know if we could go over the weight or bring a third small duffel bag and not have to make these choices!

As with any other flights with carry-on (number or weight) restrictions, consider putting the binoculars, Kindles and anything else that will fit in a jacket with deep pockets (like ScotteVEST ) that you wear on the plane--just don't go crazy where the loaded jacket is so stuffed and heavy that you can't walk normally or look like the Michelin Man. We had no problems with this on our SS Antarctica flights to or from Santiago.

18 hours ago, cruiseej said:

We boarded the ship in Buenos Aires.  Many people had more than one suitcase per person.

7 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We boarded the ship in Buenos Aires.  Many people had more than one suitcase per person.

Ah. To your knowledge, was there a stated limit of one 50 pound bag per person for your trip? Maybe they have different rules for departures from Buenos Aires than Santiago?

7 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

The weight limit is for the charter flight, not for boarding the ship.  Were you on a charter flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires?

12 hours ago, Port Power said:

The weight limit is for the charter flight, not for boarding the ship.  Were you on a charter flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires?

No, from Puerto Williams to Santiago.

We traveled independently in Chile and Argentina prior to arriving in BA to board the ship.  

Edited by TRIPACIAN
correction

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry I'm late to this thread. Someone just called my attention to it. I've attached a packing list from my last 17 day trip to Antarctica and South Georgia. It also has some tips.  Hope it helps.

Realize, that you will wear the same 'uniform' each day when it comes to excursions, and they don't get stinky because you won't sweat. So you you only need 1 set there. Plus, of the days on board, we were at sea for 5-6 of the days, so my stretch pants/yoga pants were my go-to day where, with a few different tops. No body cares if you wear stuff more than once.

Dinners are casual most nights, a few dressier nights if going over the holidays like I did, but a simply pair of slacks and a dressier blouse with some earrings and you're good to go. The products on board are good, so no need to bring yours. Feel free to ask me more questions at jen@paradoxtravels.com   And overall, don't let it consume your thoughts too much. There is so much more to you than what you wear. And the 'fashion' in the arctic regions is 'ath-leisure'. 

And yes, the main bag was 50# allowance and carry-on was #18 when I went. OH! A few more tips, not sure I mentioned in the attachment - this year because of all the craziness with flights and baggage....if you have connecting flights, I'd advise that you and your travel partner do 2 things in case one of your bags don't make the connection - don't freak out at this thought, it happens. But a little forethought makes it manageable: 1) pack one outfit, shell, beanie and gloves in your carry-on. As well as meds.  2) pack in EACH OTHERS bag, a few items that if one bag doesn't make, you each have some of the other person's stuff. This is has saved us before. You can switch it back when you get to Santiago if you want. *there is a Mall not far from the Mandarin Oriental - if you really got stuck, you can taxi there and pick up a few items.  

Remember this is a trip of a lifetime thats more about penguins, icebergs, elephant seals and whales!! You will love it no matter what you're wearing. Reach out if I can serve you in any other way. 

Jen 

Packing List and Tips for Antarctica.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, Travelgal 2323 said:

Hi there, sorry I'm late to this thread. Someone just called my attention to it. I've attached a packing list from my last 17 day trip to Antarctica and South Georgia. It also has some tips.  Hope it helps.

Realize, that you will wear the same 'uniform' each day when it comes to excursions, and they don't get stinky because you won't sweat. So you you only need 1 set there. Plus, of the days on board, we were at sea for 5-6 of the days, so my stretch pants/yoga pants were my go-to day where, with a few different tops. No body cares if you wear stuff more than once.

Dinners are casual most nights, a few dressier nights if going over the holidays like I did, but a simply pair of slacks and a dressier blouse with some earrings and you're good to go. The products on board are good, so no need to bring yours. Feel free to ask me more questions at jen@paradoxtravels.com   And overall, don't let it consume your thoughts too much. There is so much more to you than what you wear. And the 'fashion' in the arctic regions is 'ath-leisure'. 

And yes, the main bag was 50# allowance and carry-on was #18 when I went. OH! A few more tips, not sure I mentioned in the attachment - this year because of all the craziness with flights and baggage....if you have connecting flights, I'd advise that you and your travel partner do 2 things in case one of your bags don't make the connection - don't freak out at this thought, it happens. But a little forethought makes it manageable: 1) pack one outfit, shell, beanie and gloves in your carry-on. As well as meds.  2) pack in EACH OTHERS bag, a few items that if one bag doesn't make, you each have some of the other person's stuff. This is has saved us before. You can switch it back when you get to Santiago if you want. *there is a Mall not far from the Mandarin Oriental - if you really got stuck, you can taxi there and pick up a few items.  

Remember this is a trip of a lifetime thats more about penguins, icebergs, elephant seals and whales!! You will love it no matter what you're wearing. Reach out if I can serve you in any other way. 

Jen 

Packing List and Tips for Antarctica.pdf 4.56 MB · 45 downloads

Following your earlier posts when you were concerned about packing it seems you followed the various pieces of advice and did very well indeed with minimal stuff and you were fine.  Presume you had a wonderful trip too.    😀   

On 12/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Travelgal 2323 said:

Jen 

Packing List and Tips for Antarctica.pdf 4.56 MB · 45 downloads

On our trip last spring, one women's luggage did not make it.  Her luggage was overweight so at the airport  she took all her shoes, put it in her carry on and put everything else in her checked bag.  The suitcase never made it.  She boarded the ship with nothing-no change of clothes, makeup, underwear etc.  But she did have shoes! LOL.  Many passengers had extra cold weather gear.  Some even had new makeup and new underwear that were given to her.  The crew put together some clothes so she made it through.  So lost luggage can be a factor.  And unlike the rest of the world there was no place to pick up even the essentials.  She was traveling solo so there was no one to spilt the packing with.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

What does the SILVERSEA RED PARKA PLUS BACKBACK & WATER BOTTLE. WEIGHT.    ALL TOGETHER?    Thks

going in 5 weeks:) 

Really. It enough for you to worry about.  Many on their flight out of Santiago home, carried them on.

• Like 1