Luggage limits for 2022-23 Antarctica cruises

cruiseej

We were on the Cloud Nov 2021 ( 16 night cruise, so not far off from a 21 day).

Merino wool or cashmere sweater(s) are key.  Wearing in the evening.  A pair of trousers, long sleeve dress shirt and polo collar or 1/4 zip thin merino wool sweater is perfectly fine for all dining. That is what DH got by in.  Uniqlo has long sleeved merino polos for 50 bucks.  Or go with a V-neck.  

I wore black skirt or black trousers and sweater over long sleeve tee.  One gray cashmere hoodie, and one lavender sweater.  

When we dined outdoors hot-rocks, even with the heaters, it was cold enough to dine with your parka on, so nobody sees what you have on underneath!

And we wore our best "well loved" aka junky sweaters for the expeditions, and tossed them at the end of the cruise. We had some merino wool sweaters that had been around the block or two.  Nobody can tell your insulated layer, under your parka has a hole in it.

We rented boots, so that saved space and weight.  

Our checked bags were about 49-52 pounds.  We each carry a backpack.  Pretty heavy  backpacks with electronics, and such. 

We didn't bring home the backpacks they gave us.  We both have Osprey that we love, and since we were about to sell everything and go full time nomads, we didn't need more stuff.  We did bring home the Parkas because our kids wanted them.

BTW as full time nomads now since February, we have made it all over South America with the same sub 50 lb suitcase and same backpacks.  And inside is ALL 4 seasons clothing.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Cloud over the holidays this year.  This thread has been really helpful.  I am thinking of buying two "ugly"  holiday sweaters to wear, haha!  But in reality, I have a couple of sweaters and a couple of blouses that I will bring for dinner tops, other than that, layers for excursions.  

For photographers, what kind of gloves did you have?  I have seen fingerless ones, but most winter gloves are so bulky which makes taking photos difficult.

59 minutes ago, How much longer? said:

We are sailing on the Cloud over the holidays this year.  This thread has been really helpful.  I am thinking of buying two "ugly"  holiday sweaters to wear, haha!  But in reality, I have a couple of sweaters and a couple of blouses that I will bring for dinner tops, other than that, layers for excursions.  

For photographers, what kind of gloves did you have?  I have seen fingerless ones, but most winter gloves are so bulky which makes taking photos difficult.

These gloves were not that bulky and worked well for me in Antarctica.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRMO8IU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16 hours ago, How much longer? said:

I bought these gloves from Costco. They are waterproof and have touch technology. We are in Antarctica in February but will test here in Alberta when we get our next cold streak. 

image.thumb.png.78c743af3d665be6899cdf3c9d3a9015.png

Hi Everyone.  Just some comments on what to pack.  I have been on 2 trips to Antarctica, one in December and one in February.  In both cases, it never got colder than what we experience in the winter in the Northeast...highs around 40 degrees Fahrenheit and lows in the high 20's.  We even went through a couple of snowstorms.  I was surprised that it wasn't as cold as I had anticipated.

I brought waterproof pants which are essential.  I brought waterproof gloves (with fingers) also essential since everything seems to be wet when you do the wet landings in Antarctica.  Renting boots and walking poles are the way to go.  If the boots don't fit, they give you plenty of options to change to those that fit.  And the amt of penguin 'poop' that these boots encounter on your adventure are not something that I would want to have happen to my personal boots.

For clothes...the ship itself is warm, but you want to be able to jump out onto the deck from time-to-time to take pictures of the wildlife as it suddenly appears outside the windows, so I packed a thin 'puffy' vest that I wore during the day for that occurrence.  As far as outdoor zodiac trips...the waterproof pants and SS-provided parka are really toasty.  I brought the multiple layers recommended but after the first day on the first Antarctica trip I never wore them again...too hot.  Regular long-sleeve shirt under the parka was fine and my waterproof pants were lined ski-pants so I didn't need to wear anything else under them to stay warm.  The rest of the clothes needed are what you normally wear for a somewhat less-formal cruise.

So as I learned after my first trip...don't overthink the 'cold weather' wear.  The cold weather in Antarctica is not extraordinary...just normal winter cold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lauranne said:

I bought these gloves from Costco. They are waterproof and have touch technology. We are in Antarctica in February but will test here in Alberta when we get our next cold streak. 

image.thumb.png.78c743af3d665be6899cdf3c9d3a9015.png

I purchased these as well for my backup pair of gloves.   I put them on and stuck my hands under the faucet and they seemed to be water tight.  Like I said, they are the backup pair.  

Edited by maadimom

We fly to Santiago on Thursday so after much planning, today was the actual packing day. Everything easily fitted into our 2 suitcases and overnight carry on bags so I was feeling quite happy and relaxed. The suitcases were both under 50 lbs so I thought all was well. Then I read the small print on our charter flight information:" Each guest is limited to one (1) carry-on of no more than 17lbs (8kg) and checked bags (one) not to exceed a total of 50 lbs. (23kg)"

Oh no! "Not to exceed a total of 50 lbs". Together my carry on bag and suitcase weigh more than 50 lbs. That weight limit does sound to be a bit stingy. I am not happy :(.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, broker1217 said:

I'm sure you have considered this--we wore our heavy boots for flying to Iceland and Alaska.

They were just to bulky and heavy to pack.

Maybe not the look I prefer while traveling, but we had lots of similarly booted company in the first class lounge and on the flights.

And you can carry some slip ons in your carry on bag and change once on the flight and put the big boots into the hatrack!   

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

And you can carry some slip ons in your carry on bag and change once on the flight and put the big boots into the hatrack!   

Well our suitcases are in the hold of our American Airlines plane, and soon we will all be heading to Santiago. I will be taking the idea of dressing in layers to the extreme on the charter flight, so hopefully all will go well. We will know for sure when we fly to Puerto Williams on Sunday. Can't wait!

This is all very useful information, thanks to all. Is there any need or use for a regular pair of hiking boots? I would prefer to wear something lighter than the heavy waterproof boots in cases where they are not absolutely necessary, i.e. wet landings, deep snow...

1 hour ago, MVAgrippa said:

Is there any need or use for a regular pair of hiking boots?

In Antarctica? No. You simply don't walk far enough to need them. And you don't want to get your nice hiking boots mucked up with penguin poop.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:21 PM, sherylc said:

We will be enjoying the Mandarin Oriental both nights with you alithecat. Just wish we could get the Friends of MO benefits. We joined but hotel only lets those who book their own room use the benefits -- not when made as a group sale. 

Not quite true. The front desk took our number after we checked in with Silversea and we have free high speed internet. 

1 minute ago, hoya68 said:

In fact we just got off the flight from Puerto Williams to Santiago.  Carry-on bag not weighed and many people had pretty heavy checked bags.

In fact my wife and I had 3 suitcases total. Not a problem. 

1 hour ago, hoya68 said:

In fact my wife and I had 3 suitcases total. Not a problem. 

I would love to have an extra suitcase, or one heavier case, for our trip in two weeks. But I've read that last year, some people had their luggage left behind in Santiago — intentionally — because passengers brought too much luggage. I can't imagine the disappointment of waiting for a trip like this and arriving at the ship with no luggage! I realize flights can be affected by many factors; bad weather can decrease weight capacity for a flight. If the weight wasn't an issue, I can't imagine Silversea would state these luggage limits (especially after initially announcing increased luggage limits and then rescinding that promise). So I don't think it's fair to take more than we're allowed and risk putting anyone in a situation like the people who didn't get their luggage on the charter flight last year.

• Like 1

I completely agree with @cruiseej I thought Oh no when I read the comment about taking three suitcases. If many choose to take more than the luggage allowance, whose suitcase could potentially be left behind. I certainly hope NOT the ones who abided by the limit. 
Laurie

Laurie, if they have to leave luggage behind, it will undoubtedly be what's still sitting on the tarmac and not yet loaded. There is no way they would track who has a third bag, and unload luggage from the plane to find it. In other words, if too many people bring too much luggage and they have to leave some behind, it would be luck of the draw as to whose luggage is on and whose isn't. That's why I feel it's incumbent on everyone to follow the stated rules so everyone has the cruise they've been dreaming of. (And if there actually is extra weight capacity this year, as Silversea promised, then shame on them for not updating their rules for luggage allowances.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have the Silver Cloud Puerto Williams to Capetown (South Georgia Islands) and Capetown to Mahe booked in March, so have the need for good hiking shoes and BOG boots.  Am considering using Luggage forward for one bag (place BOG boots, other heavy items) to Puerto Williams. Silversea luggage valet does not serve Antarctica but Luggage Forward quoted me prices and does.

Has anyone used Luggage Forward for Antarctica?