Luggage limits for 2022-23 Antarctica cruises

cruiseej

Has anyone been able to find out what the luggage limits are for this winter's trips to Antarctica (specifically those departing from Puerto Williams)? When Silversea announced the change to home porting in Puerto Williams this year, one of the bullet points was "An exclusive charter flight to Puerto Williams: an upgraded, personalized flight experience, including extra legroom, greater luggage allowance…". 

Since we are flying to and from Santiago in business class, we have the option to take a third suitcase, or stick with two suitcases and load them up to 70 pounds. We're taking our own boots, which add weight and bulk, a CPAP machine, a camera bag, and it just adds up. If you feel we don't need to pack so much for a 21-day trip, please don't lecture me on that; I've read many posts about what to take and not to take, so that's not what I'm asking. 😉 I just want to know what the weight limit is for pieces of luggage and/or the limit on the number of pieces of luggage, under Silversea's promoted "greater luggage allowance" for the charter flights to/from Puerto Williams. Has anyone been able to find this information? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Tex1 said:

I have not seen anything official, but have heard early season cruisers are being told, there will actually not be an increase in luggage allowance.

I had that confirmed by my SS rep - even gave some OBC as an apology so I think it is true. 50 lb checked and 17 lb carry on max per person is what I have heard. Having same struggle with so much bulky cold weather gear plus camera gear. 

Edited by sherylc

From what I have been told by Silversea, there is actually no increase in the luggage allowance, so it's going to have to be 2 suitcases.

I have just done the packing for our November 27th cruise, to see what we can and can't take. Our boots do fit in to our 2 bags, and we have managed to limit ourselves to the 2 suitcases, but we are at the limit of the weight allowed, and I had to leave things out that weren't necessary, but I like to take along on cruises.

We will certainly have to be wearing those red parkers when we fly home!

I was asking the exact same question for our November trip. Here is the SS response to our TA, who is very tied in to SS:

Guests have to follow the luggage restrictions. One 50 pound checked bag, one 17 pound carry on and a backpack or a purse.

I'm sure you have considered this--we wore our heavy boots for flying to Iceland and Alaska.

They were just to bulky and heavy to pack.

Maybe not the look I prefer while traveling, but we had lots of similarly booted company in the first class lounge and on the flights.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, safarigal said:

We will certainly have to be wearing those red parkers when we fly home!

You can put the parka in the SS backpack you'll also get and carry it on--I didn't see anyone weighing those backpacks on our return SS charter flight to Santiago. The hard part is remembering which of the 100+ identical SS backpacks that will be on the plane is yours.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, taxatty said:

You can put the parka in the SS backpack you'll also get and carry it on--I didn't see anyone weighing those backpacks on our return SS charter flight to Santiago. The hard part is remembering which of the 100+ identical SS backpacks that will be on the plane is yours.

That's a good thought! 

Well, this is not the news I was hoping for. I wonder why Silversea made it a point to highlight new, increased luggage limits if it was a lie? But thanks for the info, @Tex1, @sherylc , @safarigal and @Dover Duo.

8 hours ago, broker1217 said:

I'm sure you have considered this--we wore our heavy boots for flying to Iceland and Alaska.

They were just to bulky and heavy to pack.

Maybe not the look I prefer while traveling, but we had lots of similarly booted company in the first class lounge and on the flights.

I'm not concerned with the look, but I just can't imagine wearing these warm high-rise boots for 15-16 hours of travel from home to hotel! 

Now an interesting thought might be packing the boots when we travel Santiago (when we have a 70 pound weight limit) but wearing them for the charter flight to Puerto Williams. No first class lounge involved here, but more like 6 hours from hotel to ship. I might try to wear mine around the house one day to see if I can tolerate them for many hours at a time in warm conditions!

7 hours ago, taxatty said:

You can put the parka in the SS backpack you'll also get and carry it on--I didn't see anyone weighing those backpacks on our return SS charter flight to Santiago.

But I already have a carry-on bag and a camera bag, and my wife has a CPAP machine to carry on. I doubt they'd allow another carry on each? But wearing the parka just to go from the terminal to the plane shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

10 hours ago, Dover Duo said:

One 50 pound checked bag, one 17 pound carry on and a backpack or a purse.

Even the 17-pound carry-on is problematic; our normal carry-on bag weighs about 8 pounds, and we usually load it with electronics (laptop, Kindles, cords and chargers) and a change of clothes — way more than 17 pounds. I hope my camera bag would count as a "backpack" and not a carry-on.

Seems like we're going to have to take a bit less clothing than I'd prefer for a cold-weather cruise. I know we can make do with less, but we'd like to have more options than it seems we'll be able to fit. 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 1

We have dealt with luggage weight limits in the past and it is not always easy.

Sometimes we leave the laptop at home and use only tablets. Some destinations certainly require more discipline (and some sacrifice)!

What about if each of you do a backpack with up to 17#? One could have electronics and one could hold camera equipment. We always use at least one backpack as our carry on and it doubles as our day bag (I never travel with or bring a handbag).

A carryon that weighs 8# empty is really cutting into your weight. 

And I hate to even broach this subject--but seriously consider ditching any blue jeans. They are heavy, bulky and take forever to dry. Same with fleeces and sweatshirts---we never pack those items no matter where we are traveling. 

• Like 1

@broker1217 Thanks for the thoughts.

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Sometimes we leave the laptop at home and use only tablets.

My MacBook Air weighs only slightly more than a tablet. I store all my pics on the laptop, and prefer it to a tablet anyway, so for the extra pound or so, the laptop stays. 😉

I guess we'll need to abandon our normal carry on and use backpacks. I hate to take two backpacks when SS will give us two small ones when we get to the ship!

I wonder if they allow a CPAP machine as an additional carry on? If that has to count as my wife's sole carry on, we're really in trouble with capacity! I''ll have to weigh my camera bag; with all I cram in there, it's probably at capacity for a 17-pound carry on. That would leave us with nothing for a day bag.

3 hours ago, broker1217 said:

seriously consider ditching any blue jeans. They are heavy, bulky and take forever to dry. Same with fleeces and sweatshirts---we never pack those items no matter where we are traveling. 

I pretty much live in jeans, but I hear you... I'll probably wear a pair on the plane and maybe pack one. (We have a lot of sea days with going to South Georgia Islands.) No sweatshirts, but a fleece is my go-to- for instance warmth, and it's both light and doesn't can be scrunched in less space than a sweater. But we'll certainly need to take fewer changes of clothes than we're used to on cruises to meet the weight limits and include our cold weather gear (boots, gloves, hat). Fortunately base layers and hiking pants are light. But my size 13 shoes are not. 😉 

Simple solution if you dont want to wear the boots during flights but you dont want to pack them is to put a pair of lightweight pumps into your hand baggage and change once you have boarded, you can then put the boots into the hatrack.   Come on folks this is not a huge issue.   50lbs is plenty of weight for main bag for an expedition and 17 lbs plus purse of rucksack provides lots of extra space for camera equipment etc.   Remember you really dont need lots of "heavy weight" clothes for antarctica, a couple of sets of thermals plus a mid layer are the only extras you need.   Waterproof pantss are lightweight and take up no space and the parkas are amazing.   If you pack lots of clothes you will take most of them home unworn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I wonder if they allow a CPAP machine as an additional carry on?

I was just thinking about you yesterday and the thought that the CPAP could be an additional carry on. As for back packs, instead of a big bulky one, consider a cheap lightweight foldable nylon one. Not a big investment so you can chuck it if you like the SS one better. I use them regularly and they are quite sturdy. Amazon has lots of options.

12 hours ago, labrasett said:

Simple solution if you dont want to wear the boots during flights but you dont want to pack them is to put a pair of lightweight pumps into your hand baggage and change once you have boarded, you can then put the boots into the hatrack.   Come on folks this is not a huge issue.   50lbs is plenty of weight for main bag for an expedition and 17 lbs plus purse of rucksack provides lots of extra space for camera equipment etc.   Remember you really dont need lots of "heavy weight" clothes for antarctica, a couple of sets of thermals plus a mid layer are the only extras you need.   Waterproof pantss are lightweight and take up no space and the parkas are amazing.   If you pack lots of clothes you will take most of them home unworn.

The OP specifically said 

" . . .If you feel we don't need to pack so much for a 21-day trip, please don't lecture me on that; I've read many posts about what to take and not to take, so that's not what I'm asking. . . "

He/she likely does not want  "come on folks" or  "50 lbs is plenty of weight" advice about what works for you (even if it makes sense to you).  People have their individual preferences, habits, health issues, and bodily concerns.  The weight limits for a cold climate, combined with the headaches of a connecting flight on top of the other risks and concerns, are one of several factors that makes us (especially my DH) pause about booking Antarctica. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

The OP specifically said 

" . . .If you feel we don't need to pack so much for a 21-day trip, please don't lecture me on that; I've read many posts about what to take and not to take, so that's not what I'm asking. . . "

He/she likely does not want  "come on folks" or  "50 lbs is plenty of weight" advice about what works for you (even if it makes sense to you).  People have their individual preferences, habits, health issues, and bodily concerns.  The weight limits for a cold climate, combined with the headaches of a connecting flight on top of the other risks and concerns, are one of several factors that makes us (especially my DH) pause about booking Antarctica. 

Just so I don't get hollered at for my post, I am directing my comments to everyone EXCEPT Cruiseej. I did this trip in November, 2021. We were the very first commercial flight from Santiago to Puerto Williams. The owner of the airline was on the flight with us to celebrate. A lot of press and champagne. A very memorable trip.

I received the same warning about the weight limits. I can't promise that 2022 will be the same as my flight in 2021, but my carryon weighed about 21 lbs (it was a rolling backpack with all my electronics and meds) and my 1 checked bag was 57 lbs. Our luggage was picked up at the hotel in Santiago and we never saw it again until we were on the ship. I did rent the boots from SS, so that cut down on the weight. They fit perfect and I didn't have to deal with a pair of boots with loads of penguin poop in my suitcase on the way home. We had about 80 people on the 18 night trip and only a small handful had their own boots. I brought my own waterproof pants and the rest of the cold weather gear. The parka that SS supplies is great. I was surprised how warn the weather was. We had a low of maybe 28 and a high of about 40, and that was November. The only time you get cold is on the long zodiac rides in the open water. When you are on land, you are hiking, and you find yourself shedding clothes. I did use the laundry service on board a couple times, but I also overpacked and brought some clothes back that I never wore. I was on the Explorer and I packed nice dress slacks to wear for dinner. After the first day, most guests were wearing jean and very casual clothes for all the meals. In some cases we would get back to the ship from an excursion and there wasn't enough time, or energy, to change for dinner, so most people just shed the heavy clothes and wore what they wore on the excursion for dinner. All my nice dinner clothes remained on hangers in the closet. If I had to pack again for this trip, I would easily hit the 50 lb limit, if I was willing to use the ship's laundry once or twice. I am doing the Arctic in 2023, and I know I will be able to meet the required 50 lb weight limit for the charter flight at the beginning of the trip. I realize that everyone has their own set of travel idiosyncrasies, but travel to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands is a different kind of trip. Again. please don't holler at me. This is directed to anyone else who might be taking this spectacular trip.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, retiredand happy said:

Just so I don't get hollered at for my post, I am directing my comments to everyone EXCEPT Cruiseej. I did this trip in November, 2021. We were the very first commercial flight from Santiago to Puerto Williams. The owner of the airline was on the flight with us to celebrate. A lot of press and champagne. A very memorable trip.

I received the same warning about the weight limits. I can't promise that 2022 will be the same as my flight in 2021, but my carryon weighed about 21 lbs (it was a rolling backpack with all my electronics and meds) and my 1 checked bag was 57 lbs. Our luggage was picked up at the hotel in Santiago and we never saw it again until we were on the ship. I did rent the boots from SS, so that cut down on the weight. They fit perfect and I didn't have to deal with a pair of boots with loads of penguin poop in my suitcase on the way home. We had about 80 people on the 18 night trip and only a small handful had their own boots. I brought my own waterproof pants and the rest of the cold weather gear. The parka that SS supplies is great. I was surprised how warn the weather was. We had a low of maybe 28 and a high of about 40, and that was November. The only time you get cold is on the long zodiac rides in the open water. When you are on land, you are hiking, and you find yourself shedding clothes. I did use the laundry service on board a couple times, but I also overpacked and brought some clothes back that I never wore. I was on the Explorer and I packed nice dress slacks to wear for dinner. After the first day, most guests were wearing jean and very casual clothes for all the meals. In some cases we would get back to the ship from an excursion and there wasn't enough time, or energy, to change for dinner, so most people just shed the heavy clothes and wore what they wore on the excursion for dinner. All my nice dinner clothes remained on hangers in the closet. If I had to pack again for this trip, I would easily hit the 50 lb limit, if I was willing to use the ship's laundry once or twice. I am doing the Arctic in 2023, and I know I will be able to meet the required 50 lb weight limit for the charter flight at the beginning of the trip. I realize that everyone has their own set of travel idiosyncrasies, but travel to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands is a different kind of trip. Again. please don't holler at me. This is directed to anyone else who might be taking this spectacular trip.

Thank you - this was very helpful 🙂

I appreciate ALL the comments, even those which say if we're worried about the weigh limit we're packing too much. We're continuing to think and rethink about what to pack. 😉

Let me ask this question about dinners. I know there's no formality on an Antarctica trip, and I'm happy about that. But I'm often cool in the evening in a restaurant or bar; a basic button-down shirt isn't always warm enough for me. So I'm trying to decide what to take for my "evening layers". If I took one sport jacket — for a warmer layer as well as being slightly more dressed on some nights, even with jeans — would I be completely out of place? (Consider we're traveling over Christmas and New Years, if that makes any difference.) Otherwise, a couple (I mean two!) sweaters would likely be what I bring for warmer clothing aboard the ship. And since the cruise is 18 days, I'm reconciled to using the ship's laundry.

@retiredand happy In terms of the weight limit, I know there's a reasonable chance every checked and carry on bag won't be checked and weighed. After all, they don't weigh the human cargo, so the aircraft weight limits can't be that tight! On the other hand, I've also read the horror story of some people's luggage being left behind because of a flight being at its limit, and I don't want too be "that person" who endangers someone else's cruise, or my own cruise, by ignoring the weight rules. That's why I'm asking all the questions. 

I imagine the weather in Antarctica is variable; it might be in the 30s or even 40, but it might be colder. (Just like when cruising to Alaska in the summer: I wore t-shirts some days because it was so warm, while passengers other weeks have had temperatures 20-30 degrees colder.) 

@cruiseejTo answer your jacket question, we are on the Cloud Holiday cruise and my husband is taking his blazer. I would expect Christmas and New Years to be informal (jacket required) evenings. He has some nice, thick long sleeved shirts, not as thick as flannel but warmer than cotton. He will wear these as his outer layer under the parka during the day, and for dinner at night. Plus a couple (also probably two) of sweaters. He has decent pants for dinner that look nicer than his jeans.

I haven't decided what to pack for myself yet. I have options, but it depends on how heavy my suitcase gets with all the expedition wear.

We rented boots. We bought light, collapsible walking poles, and all the suggested socks, hats, gloves, waterproof pants, long underwear etc. Plus very lightweight slip-on water sandals for the boot room and whirlpools, waterproof bags for the camera,... Sure hope we get to go on this trip after buying all this gear!

We have one lightweight nylon carry-on, and one regular carry-on with wheels, so we can attach the lightweight one to the regular one.

Counting down the days now and starting to get excited.

We are also on this same holiday cruise and a bit tired of hearing people (especially those not on Expedition cruises) telling us that we really don't need to pack so much. We, too, rented boots to cut down on weight, but have been buying layers, gloves, hats, etc that all take up space and weight not even counting all the camera equipment!! I don't think we will bring any dress up clothes even though it is over the holidays. Just not enough room!! Will likely wear a sweater and slacks to dinner, but probably going to be the same 2 (maybe 3 if im lucky) ones warn again and again. Definitely wish Silversea had kept to their advertising of more luggage allowance!!!

Looking forward to meeting all of those sharing this trip of a lifetime!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Let me ask this question about dinners. I know there's no formality on an Antarctica trip, and I'm happy about that. But I'm often cool in the evening in a restaurant or bar; a basic button-down shirt isn't always warm enough for me. So I'm trying to decide what to take for my "evening layers". If I took one sport jacket — for a warmer layer as well as being slightly more dressed on some nights, even with jeans — would I be completely out of place? (Consider we're traveling over Christmas and New Years, if that makes any difference.) Otherwise, a couple (I mean two!) sweaters would likely be what I bring for warmer clothing aboard the ship.

I've done 6 expeditions cruises on SS. Dress runs the gamut. Either option would be fine for dinner. I've done sweaters and blazers on different occasions. Or a more casual button-down worn over a t-shirt.

Sweaters are more useful than a blazer, because a sweater can be an extra layer under your parka if needed. But a blazer would be festive over the Holidays for sure. Knowing me, I'd probably bring one of each. And a festive tie too.

3 hours ago, sherylc said:

We are also on this same holiday cruise and a bit tired of hearing people (especially those not on Expedition cruises) telling us that we really don't need to pack so much.

We're just trying to help ease your anxiety about the weight limits. And I've been on plenty of expedition cruises so I'm speaking from experience.

So from the perspective of someone who's done a lot or expedition cruises: you don't need as much as you might think. Layers make up for almost anything. But that's hard to believe until you find out for yourself, usually after overpacking a few times.

We used to be overpackers as well, so I get where you're coming from...I guess it's anxiety-provoking either way. Your choice seems to be whether to worry that you've not packed enough, or worry that you're too close to the weight limit (or over).

I hope you all have a great cruise!

• Like 7

18 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I appreciate ALL the comments, even those which say if we're worried about the weigh limit we're packing too much. We're continuing to think and rethink about what to pack. 😉

Let me ask this question about dinners. I know there's no formality on an Antarctica trip, and I'm happy about that. But I'm often cool in the evening in a restaurant or bar; a basic button-down shirt isn't always warm enough for me. So I'm trying to decide what to take for my "evening layers". If I took one sport jacket — for a warmer layer as well as being slightly more dressed on some nights, even with jeans — would I be completely out of place? (Consider we're traveling over Christmas and New Years, if that makes any difference.) Otherwise, a couple (I mean two!) sweaters would likely be what I bring for warmer clothing aboard the ship. And since the cruise is 18 days, I'm reconciled to using the ship's laundry.

@retiredand happy In terms of the weight limit, I know there's a reasonable chance every checked and carry on bag won't be checked and weighed. After all, they don't weigh the human cargo, so the aircraft weight limits can't be that tight! On the other hand, I've also read the horror story of some people's luggage being left behind because of a flight being at its limit, and I don't want too be "that person" who endangers someone else's cruise, or my own cruise, by ignoring the weight rules. That's why I'm asking all the questions. 

I imagine the weather in Antarctica is variable; it might be in the 30s or even 40, but it might be colder. (Just like when cruising to Alaska in the summer: I wore t-shirts some days because it was so warm, while passengers other weeks have had temperatures 20-30 degrees colder.) 

I was on the smaller Explorer last year. You are likely on the Wind. I will be doing the Wind to the Arctic in August, 2023. Regarding the sport coat. If you have room, you certainly won't look funny wearing it at dinner. On our cruise, I didn't see anyone wearing a sport coat. On the other hand, we weren't there over the holidays. It really comes down to what you have room to pack. If something has to go, it would be the sport coat, but keep the sweaters. 

You are correct, it is not possible to determine what the airline will do on your specific trip, so guessing is just guessing. I know there was a lot of angst amongst the passengers on my trip about the luggage weight. In the end, it was not an issue since the bags went from a truck from the hotel directly to the plane.  The size of the carryon was more important than the weight because of the configuration of the plane. I was very careful not to get carried away, and kept my weight to just a few pounds over. 

Getting dressed for the shore excursions is a "fun" process. It takes 7-10 minutes to get all the layers on and have them in the right order. When you are fully dressed, you walk like the first explorer to the moon. They are VERY strick about having the life jacket on properly and in the proper order. You need your hands free to board the zodiac, so the backpack is worn on your back until you get in the zodiac. We saw passengers who put their backpack on first and then their life jacket over the backpack. That's a certain trip back to the boot room to get redressed. Protecting the environment was very important. All the clothes you were wearing to shore had to be vacuumed to remove any foreign material. They did this 2-3 times during the trip. Your boots had to be thoroughly cleaned in the boot room after each shore excursion. The boots were inspected before you were allowed to get on the zodiac on every shore excursion. Usually about 10% of the passengers were sent back to the boot room to clean all the penguin poop and dirt off their boots. The same applied to your waterproof pants, if they had penguin poop on the bottoms. The weatherproof backpack that SS provides is large and heavy duty. It protects your equipment from getting wet in the zodiacs. You should plan on getting wet in the zodiacs. Some days the water is smooth as glass. Other days everyone got a mouthful of sea water. Extra gloves in your backpack are a good idea. The SS parka and the waterproof pants and the heavy boots keep you dry. When you buy your waterproof pants, get the ones that unzip or unsnap at the bottom so they fit over your boots. That makes getting dressed so much easier. 

The pictures below are a sample of what is to come. I am the guy in front of the elephant seal. You will talk about this trip for years to come. It is spectacular. 

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0553.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks for all the information and advice. In the past three days, our air has finally been ticket, and now our pre-cruise hotel is listed. After two years of canceled cruises, it's starting to look like the third time might actually go!

@alithecat As of today, it finally shows our pre-cruise hotel (booked through SS) as the Mandarin Oriental. I know you booked on your own and were guessing where we'd be; that question has now been answered. 🙂

@cruiseejI just went to MySilversea and our hotel now shows as the Mandarin Oriental too. Thanks for that. We booked our own air, after declining Silversea's bad routing, but did book both the transfer and 2 nights in the hotel thru Silversea. I recall there was someone else who booked the extra night on their own, but can't find them now. Yes, hopefully 3rd time lucky for us too.

We will be enjoying the Mandarin Oriental both nights with you alithecat. Just wish we could get the Friends of MO benefits. We joined but hotel only lets those who book their own room use the benefits -- not when made as a group sale. 

On 10/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, sherylc said:

We are also on this same holiday cruise and a bit tired of hearing people (especially those not on Expedition cruises) telling us that we really don't need to pack so much. We, too, rented boots to cut down on weight, but have been buying layers, gloves, hats, etc that all take up space and weight not even counting all the camera equipment!! I don't think we will bring any dress up clothes even though it is over the holidays. Just not enough room!! Will likely wear a sweater and slacks to dinner, but probably going to be the same 2 (maybe 3 if im lucky) ones warn again and again. Definitely wish Silversea had kept to their advertising of more luggage allowance!!!

Looking forward to meeting all of those sharing this trip of a lifetime!!!

SherylC - for ladies it is really quite easy to "dress" for evenings on expeditions, just take several lovely scarves and possibly pashminas and some pearls or necklaces.   I was complimented on my different look on many nights but it was all smoke and mirrors with the use of accessories which took up little space but changed the "look".   We have been on lots of expeditions down south and believe me you really dont need lots of layers just a small number of the right ones.    Have  wonderful trip and dont angst about the weight of the bags, if you can get past the initial airline check in without penalty you will be fine.