Amex Offer Question

Greygooser

Hello all-

I was lucky enough to get the recent American Express offer that gives me $350 back on spending $1k. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to booking cruises. Obviously, if I book a cruise costing over $1k through NCL.com I would qualify for the $350 back. However, if I book at some of the bigger travel websites, I could get some additional OBC and prepaid gratuities which is a pretty substantial amount. I'm trying to determine if when booking through a third party website, do they charge me or do does the charge show up as NCL?

I am told if booking though a travel agent, the charge shows up as NCL and triggers the offer. If I had a travel agent that could offer me the extras I'm looking for that would be ideal, but I don't have an agent as I don't travel frequently. If it matters, I'm looking to go on the 10 day Caribbean sailing of the Getaway towards the end of November.

Any guidance or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

13 hours ago, Vacationlover2 said:

I used the AMEX offer through my travel agent and got the $350 back.

That would be ideal just need to find a good one. I understand why CC doesn't allow sharing specific TA's, as I'm sure it would just be constant promotion on here. Just a bit overwhelming for me!

13 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Read the TA fine print and research them on google before you commit. Some TAs may give you extra perks but would charge admin penalty if you cancel or their after booking services are subpar.

Some TAs do have a fee if you cancel a cruise you have booked through them.  Mine does not.  She’s been outstanding since I’ve worked with her over the years.

But, that has nothing to do with the AMEX perks (of which there are many).

On 10/24/2022 at 6:13 PM, Greygooser said:

Obviously, if I book a cruise costing over $1k through NCL.com I would qualify for the $350 back.

You have to charge 1k to your Amex via NCL website or phone to get $350 back. If a TA does it, they are just charging 1k to your Amex card thru NCL website or phone.

Hello fellow NH resident. It doesn’t matter if you book direct or through an agency as long as the charge comes up as NCL. There are tons of TAs out there that will provide you with extra perks. Just make sure they don’t charge any additional fees for cancelling or making changes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Hello fellow NH resident. It doesn’t matter if you book direct or through an agency as long as the charge comes up as NCL. There are tons of TAs out there that will provide you with extra perks. Just make sure they don’t charge any additional fees for cancelling or making changes. 

I have reached out to a few but they basically just match what NCL.com does. No prepaid gratuities. Nice to see a fellow NH resident! I got to meet several on my Bermuda cruise out of Boston a few years back.

14 hours ago, vettesale said:

Or can't you just book directly with NCL and then transfer booking to your TA?

Good to know once I find an agent that's an option.

Sure wish I had seen this offer before it expired (if it was even available on my Amex card).  I have final payment coming up in a month.  Dang that would have been nice.  Doubt there is much chance they will offer it again anytime soon.

1 minute ago, mscloyd said:

Sure wish I had seen this offer before it expired (if it was even available on my Amex card).  I have final payment coming up in a month.  Dang that would have been nice.  Doubt there is much chance they will offer it again anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this offered in January.  Don't know but I've taken advantage of this offer about every few months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mscloyd said:

Mine expires 12/31. 

4 hours ago, Greygooser said:

I have reached out to a few but they basically just match what NCL.com does. No prepaid gratuities. Nice to see a fellow NH resident! I got to meet several on my Bermuda cruise out of Boston a few years back.

I’m sorry I can’t recommend a TA, but it’s against the Cruise Critic guidelines.  Keep searching.  There are some that discount off NCL’s price or provide OBC. 

7 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

I’m sorry I can’t recommend a TA, but it’s against the Cruise Critic guidelines.  Keep searching.  There are some that discount off NCL’s price or provide OBC. 

I totally get it, I imagine this place would turn into 99% promotion if they let everyone name TA's, websites, etc.

2 hours ago, Greygooser said:

I totally get it, I imagine this place would turn into 99% promotion if they let everyone name TA's, websites, etc.

Not 99% promotions as there would also be a certain percentage of don't use the following TA or cruise line consultant with a litany of complaints

On 10/27/2022 at 5:06 AM, mscloyd said:

The offer didn't show up in my AMEX offers either. I called yesterday and they we're going to call the marketing office, to see if I could get it. Not sure if I will, but at least AMEX put a note on my account about it. Call AMEX worst case scenario you haven't lost anything 🙂 Good luck

Just want to update, I ended up just booking through NCL. The big travel website offering prepaid gratuities did tell me it would show up as being billed from NCL on my Amex, but I was already getting a great deal so I didn't want to risk it. Thank you all for your input.

2 hours ago, Greygooser said:

Just want to update, I ended up just booking through NCL. The big travel website offering prepaid gratuities did tell me it would show up as being billed from NCL on my Amex, but I was already getting a great deal so I didn't want to risk it. Thank you all for your input.

Not sure if you know this, but you can still transfer that reservation over to a TA for extra perks if you find one.  I believe you have thirty days in which to complete the transfer. 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:20 AM, RosieRoo said:

Not sure if you know this, but you can still transfer that reservation over to a TA for extra perks if you find one.  I believe you have thirty days in which to complete the transfer. 

Thank you!