Breakaway Balcony Location?

Titanfan22

We’re looking for some quick tips, from some past cruisers, for choosing a balcony room on an upcoming Breakaway cruise.  It appears our choices are located on decks 9 thru 14.  Is there any particular areas that would be beneficial or those to stay away from? I’ve also been told port side rooms are better, for what I don’t know. Thanks in advance for the advice. 

1 hour ago, Titanfan22 said:

We’re looking for some quick tips, from some past cruisers, for choosing a balcony room on an upcoming Breakaway cruise.  It appears our choices are located on decks 9 thru 14.  Is there any particular areas that would be beneficial or those to stay away from? I’ve also been told port side rooms are better, for what I don’t know. Thanks in advance for the advice. 

From our personal experiences (more than 20 NCL cruises), we would not select deck 9, nor deck 14 forward because of potential noise issues from the decks above or below.  (Or, I'd just be sure to wear earplugs, because I am a light sleeper and easily awakened by noise.)

Starboard is our choice (If no Aft are available) since, generally, we get the views we desire most often on the Starboard side.

If you want shortest distance to decks 6/7/8 activities and/or meals and bars Deck 9 or 10 are great.  If you feel that you would spend more time going to the pool deck, observation lounge, slides, SPA, or Garden Cafe, and Race Track, H2O, then select higher deck.

Good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

My standard answer for any cabin, check to see if there public spaces above and below you ( restaurants, bars, pool deck, etc.) and avoid those areas.  I try to book a cabin sandwiched between other cabin decks.

Enjoy your cruise

On the Breakaway, I always try to book 13870 or the cabin directly across from it. I ALWAYS book ab angled balcony, if I possibly can. Especially on the Breakaway, the balconies are tiny. The angled balconies give you 50% more space and allow room for a lounger (usually ask my room steward for that) or a foot rest (I always pack a collapsible camp stool for this just in case).

I love being right near the elevators. The first time I did it, I was worried about noise from the hall, but it has been a non-issue. The huge advantage of being by the stairs and elevator is that you don't have a long walk past dozens of rooms to find yours. I like being aft, because then it's a quick jaunt to the buffet for a snack or coffee.  

• Like 2

I agree with the others. I only book rooms that have cabins above and below them. I also try to be a decent way down the hallway and away from the stairs and elevators so that we don't have that potential noise creeping in either. 

I'm another one that, when choosing a room, look for rooms above and below.  

That being said, I'd guess that on more than 1/2 our cruises I went with a guarantee (or Sail-Away) rate, left my cabin choice to chance, and ended up in some rooms that on paper one might think is a problem (e.g. public space above).  But never really had a problem so I try not to over think the room choice.

Angled balcony, sandwiched between cabins.

And depends…

If I’m traveling with kids, aft elevators for the restaurants, buffet and pool deck.

If it’s only me and husband, forward elevator close to the spa and gym.

If it’s a holiday sailing like New Year’s Eve or Spring break, as far as possible from the stairs and elevators.

• Like 1

On our Breakaway cruise last September, 2021 we decided to book a balcony sailaway.  We got a cabin all the way forward on deck 8, overlooking the shuffleboard game on deck 7.   If we could see them I'm sure they could see us.  And it was a very looooong walk to the stairs and elevators.

So we asked to switch cabins.  They said not until after sailaway.  We were very lucky and they moved us to a cabin on deck 10 near the aft elevators.  Will not book a sailaway cabin again.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, JamieLogical said:

On the Breakaway, I always try to book 13870 or the cabin directly across from it. I ALWAYS book ab angled balcony, if I possibly can. Especially on the Breakaway, the balconies are tiny. The angled balconies give you 50% more space and allow room for a lounger (usually ask my room steward for that) or a foot rest (I always pack a collapsible camp stool for this just in case).

I love being right near the elevators. The first time I did it, I was worried about noise from the hall, but it has been a non-issue. The huge advantage of being by the stairs and elevator is that you don't have a long walk past dozens of rooms to find yours. I like being aft, because then it's a quick jaunt to the buffet for a snack or coffee.  

I agree with everything in this post.  We always pick a angled balcony and love being close to the buffet, stairs and elevators.  

I cruised 2 weeks ago to New England/Canada and had a midship balcony on 14. Don’t book on deck 14 unless you love noise. I thought the pool deck wouldn’t be busy since it was cooler weather. I was so wrong! It sounded like herds of elephants running around and deck chairs scrapping the deck.  I also thought there was a lot of motion being up so high. 

Live and learn! I’ll stick with lower decks from now on.