Another itinerary change - Mardi Gras

IntrepidFromDC

Anyone know why? I know a number of itineraries have been changed from San Juan this past year, and was worried this might happen to ours. But the email indicated cruises from12/31/22 - 4/13/23 were changed, which means the Mardi Gras won't be going there for a while. Mechanical issues with the dock? Politics? 

18 minutes ago, Bahbert said:

Anyone know why? I know a number of itineraries have been changed from San Juan this past year, and was worried this might happen to ours. But the email indicated cruises from12/31/22 - 4/13/23 were changed, which means the Mardi Gras won't be going there for a while. Mechanical issues with the dock? Politics? 

There are more cruises than that affected. My October 2023 cruise also just changed. 

2 hours ago, DanOO said:

San Juan was the only port I was looking forward to on the 12/31 sailing.  I can't get off at Grand Turk because I'm not vaccinated.  Amber Cove and Nassua!  I guess I'll just enjoy the Ship.

On the bright side, if there's ANY Carnival ship that packs enough to satisfy a cruiser without getting off at ports, it's Mardi Gras!

• Like 4

This scenario happened earlier this year when many of Mardi Gras sailings were changed from San Juan to Nassau. Our cruise on the Mardi Gras did go to San Juan. The reason that I was told, unconfirmed, was that San Juan was limiting the amount of passengers being allowed to debark on any given day, so they don't want two mega ships with high passenger volume, in port on the same day. That means they wouldn't allow, say the Harmony of the Seas, and the Mardi Gras to be there on the same day. If I remember correctly, Royal Caribbean had to alter the schedule on some of their cruises as well. Don't know if that's the case this time, or Carnival just drew the short straw.....

Edited to update: Just checked the San Juan port schedule versus the dates that have been changed. For the most part what I mentioned above doesn't appear to be true, so your guess is as good as mine. :classic_cool:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Thanks 2

Global Ports Holding Chairman and CEO, Mehmet Kutman, said: “I welcome San Juan Cruise Port into the world’s largest cruise port network. The GPH team looks forward to working in partnership with all stakeholders to refurbish and reinvigorate this leading cruise port to create a world-leading cruise port experience for the benefit of all stakeholders.”

“Our work to transform this port will see hundreds of millions of US dollars invested into San Juan Cruise Port, all financed by private capital. Our plans include building a new cruise pier, a state-of-the-art cruise terminal, and significant enhancements to the public infrastructure.”

As part of the deal, the number of docks currently capable of serving as homeport for four cruise ships at a time will double to eight. Docks battered by hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017, and which have been worn down throughout the decades, will be modernized.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:41 PM, DanOO said:

San Juan was the only port I was looking forward to on the 12/31 sailing.  I can't get off at Grand Turk because I'm not vaccinated.  Amber Cove and Nassua!  I guess I'll just enjoy the Ship.

You could always get the jab if you really wanted to go swimming at Margaritaville or visit Jack's Shack. 😉

• Like 1

We're set to go to San Juan in March, and I'm REALLY hoping our itinerary doesn't change. I would be so bummed to end up in Nassau again. But I'm in the same thought-guess I'll enjoy the ship if we do end up there. 

Seriously, this is a terrible change. I understand that there may be issues with San Juan, but substituting Nassau. This has to be the most overdone, over visited, over hyped, and most importantly, underwhelming port in the so called Caribbean. I Say Caribbean because this was supposed to be a “Caribbean” cruise. Once again Carnival disappoints.

Why not just make it another sea day and refund the port charges, that way the majority would most likely be happy.

• Like 2