Cigarette Lighters

Pattiepat

..... You can bring matches on a plane, though.

Huh? That just doesn't make sense. As a matter of fact, the last time I flew Delta and Continental, I was asked if I had any lighters, matches, or any hazardous material with me.

Our lighters were confiscated when we flew from Chicago to Europe last summer. When we ran out of matches on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, they had no matches but a nice shop manager opened up the drug store and sold us 2 RCCL lighers.

Guess if he hadn't been so nice, we might be smoke-free now.

Don't know about the rest of the airlines, but here is part of what Continental has to say on their website: http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/dangerous.asp?SID=4104982A17AB483CA5B278BB2D12EDC7

Lighters Added As Prohibited Items

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) prohibits the carriage of all lighters past the security checkpoints at airports. Please be aware that any type of lighter on your person or in accessible carry on luggage is subject to confiscation during security screening. Currently, passengers may carry up to four books of strike-on-cover matches on their person or in carry on luggage. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage, but lighters with fuel are prohibited.

For a complete list of Prohibited Items, please visit the Transportation Security Administration Web site.

Kat 50.gif

Huh? That just doesn't make sense. As a matter of fact, the last time I flew Delta and Continental, I was asked if I had any lighters, matches, or any hazardous material with me.

Matches are OK, lighters are NOT. TSA theory-matches smell and make noise when being lit, lighters do not. Remember Richard Reid, the shoe bomber.

And lighters are NOT to be put in checked luggage. If you answer NO LIGHTERS in checked luggage and TSA checks your luggage and finds one, be prepared for a hassle at the very least.

We were able to take our lighters from CLT to FLL. 3 of our 4 lighters were taken on the way back. FLL seems to be more strict. Everyone had to take their shoes off. Hope this helps!

You "slipped" the lighters through security. It is a federal TSA regulation-NO lighters in ANY airport in carryon OR checked baggage. CLT just did a crappy job of checking. Matches are OK in any airport.

Lighters aren't allowed in checked luggage because of the pressure in the hold. It was always a no-no in checked luggage - but two years ago the ban began for lighters in carry-on as well. That's when people started getting confused and putting their lighters in their checked luggage and they'd be found there and the hassle would start. Just skip the lighters, like you would a pocket knife, and hope you can find a small shop before you board the ship to buy a new one.

Wouldn't it make sense that if you forfeited a lighter when you boarded a plane that they should let you pick out one of the confiscated lighters at the airport where you land? Maybe get a voucher for one "lighter/nailfile/scissors" to be redeemed at any airport. Guess that would be too simple...and then the airports couldn't make any money off it when they sell them on ebay in lots of 50. Ex: Ten assorted fuzzy handcuffs on eBay 99 cents.

Wouldn't it make sense that if you forfeited a lighter when you boarded a plane that they should let you pick out one of the confiscated lighters at the airport where you land? Maybe get a voucher for one "lighter/nailfile/scissors" to be redeemed at any airport. Guess that would be too simple...and then the airports couldn't make any money off it when they sell them on ebay in lots of 50. Ex: Ten assorted fuzzy handcuffs on eBay 99 cents.

What a great idea!!!

Don't think the money enters into it-how much money could they possibly make with all the handling that would go into one Ebay sale. It is probably some government lawyer worried about liability-take the lighter, it blows up, you sue the airport. But that sure is a great idea. When I fly home Saturday from my business trip, I will ask when I pass security on my way out of the airport. Sure would solve the lighter problem.

Oddly enough, some airports DO have an informal exchange system. Usually one smoker hands off his lighter to someone arriving. It's kind of a tradition! If you're lucky, when you arrive someone will give one to you! (It happens!) Greater Cincinnati airport has the most wonderful smoking lounge (and it's actually PAST security) and it has a built-in lighter thingie on the wall. Works similarly to a car cigarette lighter (w/ the hot coil). We need to keep up this hand-off tradition so it will become more customary!

Archived