First time voyage report

buchanan101

Am now in New York after a most enjoyable crossing. Reports of QM2’s demise are very premature. It’s not tatty, it’s not falling apart. An odd bit of rust, but the interior looks stunning and in good nick

sailed Queens Grill so comments may not apply to other cabins. Cabin was lovely - I think. PG cabin would be fine next time. The butler and his assistant were fantastic, as was the standard of service everywhere (May be a touch slow in the bars..?). Queens Grill food ranged from very good to excellent. Verandah was interesting for one meal - not sure worth $40 on top of a QG fare… Lovely fillet steak (sorry any Americans but given the choice as I was, I will eat U.K. sourced meat as U.K. food standards I think are second to none, and hormone free) 

The enrichment was so so for us - much not really our thing. I would really have liked a talk on the Queen Mary 2 design, build and operation; I’d suggest this should be on every trip- there were enough fellow newbies and talking to them they’d have liked the same. 

The RSC performance was… interesting. It was a specially written play using words from 18 of Shakespeare’s plays … plus they put five songs in. I still don’t get Shakespeare… The comedian was pretty good. Only one film seemed to be at all recent (Elvis) so they could do better. The Gospel Choir were fantastic and played to two pretty full performances

A highlight for me was Alex’s art talks - from the Clarendon Gallery. I’ve not been an art fan but these were really interesting and extremely well presented. 

Talking art gallery I really don’t get the issue of the ship’s layout - criticised often in YouTube videos. There are only two funnies which are pretty obvious once you’ve used them - art gallery to avoid Britannia, and dip down to either side of the theatre on Level 3 to get to Illiminations. Not a problem

Ive also seen Embarkation criticised; it was absolutely fine. At Southampton Mayflower it was very easy, staff everywhere and was on board 15 mins before the time we were even supposed to arrive. 

One fairly rough day on the crossing otherwise fine. Windy of course. Unfortunately foggy on way in to NY so saw nothing. Disembarkation fine (was Blue 2 so easy) but next time we’d self disembark; it’s not far to go - we didn’t do it as we thought we’d have to leave at 7, but people were self disembarking at 8.  Useful to have Apple tags in suitcases - found them easily in the huge field of cases in the hall 

one criticism of Cunard; transfer fees an obscene rip off; $185 to Times Sq area.  I had looked pre-voyage and these were typically $90. We took a cab; $75 with tip. A good number of cabs waiting, though we were quick through immigration, but worth booking your own transfer. 

I think that’s it for now. Most enjoyable. Really strange how perceptions change; on the last day on admittedly smooth seas I could not clear my mind of the impression that the ship was still and the sea was moving. Weird! 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Interesting perspective - thank you for sharing. I am glad you enjoyed the crossing.

Oh. One thing… the Wi-Fi. Worked very much so-so in the room. Worked better on the balcony. Not sure Premium is premium… 

• Like 2

Thanks very much for this review.  Had a good friend on the ship this trip also doing his first crossing (but in Britannia vs QG) and so eagerly awaiting his review.

Key question, would you do it again?  Sounds like you would but in a lower grade of cabin (PG is lovely BTW).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Thanks very much for this review.  Had a good friend on the ship this trip also doing his first crossing (but in Britannia vs QG) and so eagerly awaiting his review.

Key question, would you do it again?  Sounds like you would but in a lower grade of cabin (PG is lovely BTW).

Might do it again… would go on a trip again, but maybe one with stops… the Fjords for example. PG would be fine. Possibly not Britannia - I did like the extra room and the restaurant. Maybe club but the rooms aren’t well positioned on QM2 for tough weather. 

PG rooms have a better view - higher above the lifeboats. 

Grills cream tea better than Queens Room but lacks the atmosphere and I liked the tables by the windows - low down view of the sea. 

Also- the ship was reportedly just about full; where IS everybody? Lovely and spacious! 

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Have you posted / Are you intending to post this in the reviews section. It would be a nice antidote to those claiming the ship is more or less falling apart. Thanks.

Ok will do. 

it really isn’t falling apart. Yes bits of rust on the outside and on our balcony but there’s so much exposed paintwork and it’s almost entirely at sea.. there was some painting going on when possible. 

interior looked really good - one window at the back of Queens Room was badly corroded, and some sort of leak sprung near Illuminations… there were a fair number of the planetarium  recliner seats broken… some lifts out of action but there was never a problem getting one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Ok will do. 

it really isn’t falling apart. Yes bits of rust on the outside and on our balcony but there’s so much exposed paintwork and it’s almost entirely at sea.. there was some painting going on when possible. 

interior looked really good - one window at the back of Queens Room was badly corroded, and some sort of leak sprung near Illuminations… there were a fair number of the planetarium  recliner seats broken… some lifts out of action but there was never a problem getting one. 

Of course it isn’t, but some of the things people write are extraordinary. There were people all over the place doing painting and varnishing and scraping on my Med. cruise in July, but she doesn’t do many Med. cruises, and I imagine TAs provide fewer opportunities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Of course it isn’t, but some of the things people write are extraordinary. There were people all over the place doing painting and varnishing and scraping on my Med. cruise in July, but she doesn’t do many Med. cruises, and I imagine TAs provide fewer opportunities.

They were only out and about painting the last two days of the six. Others unsuitable. 

During our sailing in September to Canada, they were out and about everyday that was not raining and days in port.

Even closed part of the Promenade Deck from the Walkers to reach the areas around the Lifeboats.