Thoughts.

clarets

20 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

As a side note we have just had lunch in the horizon restaurant, on the way out we was passed by a young woman in a bikini and a group of lads with there t-shirts over there shoulders, are we being old fashioned in thinking that's not right or is that moving with the times.

Horizon isn’t really a restaurant but a self-service cafeteria, but the issue is the design of the ships means that often to get from one outside pool area to another you have to go through Horizon.

22 minutes ago, The Wolfman said:

As for 'black tie nights are so 1920 to 1940 not 2022.'  I understand this to mean that in 2022 standards have completely gone out of the window so why bother to have black-tie nights. 

Standards haven’t gone out of the window, standards have changed, and that is exactly why the number of ‘mandatory’ black-tie nights has been reduced (mandatory because it is if you want full access to the ship).

27 minutes ago, The Wolfman said:

What a shame that cruising is essentially being bought down to lowest levels and standards of dress by those who are 'newcomers' attracted by the low prices of cruises. It's all about standards darling, that's why it's not appropriate to come shabbily dressed to decent restaurants and hang out in the clothes that you would go to the local pub dressed in.

But why insist on a standard different to that which virtually every expensive UK restaurant demands?

When did you last see a UK restaurant that refused customers who were not wearing a tie and jacket?

Times have changed and wishing they hadn’t won’t bring them back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Port out said:

I'm one of the old brigade having cruised for more than 30 years with P&O. Frankly things and passengers have changed so much and not all for the good imo. I fully understand the need for P&O to fill their ships but to offer out prices of cabins which represent such cheap deals and attracts folk who can't afford to live up to the standards of a quality holiday is disappointing. Unfortunately these deals impact on those of us who enjoy a good standard of dress especially in the evening and this brings the whole enjoyment of the cruise down several points which is such a shame.

The  standard of dress in the MDRs was up to the usual level on our Iona cruise this month, but with the Quays the Horizon buffet as well the Olive Grove and Beach House, there are plenty of options for those who don't want to dress up too much, especially on formal nights.  However we never felt that this affected the cruise ambience, in fact I cannot remember thinking that anyone's dress sense made me want to avoid them.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, davecttr said:

With the drift towards dress to impress what you would wear to go out clubbing on the weekend would be acceptable. For me that means what I wear in the social club, only joking 😉

And that's exactly what the lady in white was wearing, club gear.  The young still spend a fortune on a Friday night out so they would of course consider those clothes as smart going out ones.  You don't see many on the Southend sea front or Blackpool wearing their DJs and gowns ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Wolfman said:

As for 'black tie nights are so 1920 to 1940 not 2022.'  I understand this to mean that in 2022 standards have completely gone out of the window so why bother to have black-tie nights. What a shame that cruising is essentially being bought down to lowest levels and standards of dress by those who are 'newcomers' attracted by the low prices of cruises. It's all about standards darling, that's why it's not appropriate to come shabbily dressed to decent restaurants and hang out in the clothes that you would go to the local pub dressed in.

In 1920 white tie would probably have been expected in the MDR, at least in first class. Things have changed and will continue to do so, reflecting changes in wider society. P&O will tend to be in the rearguard rather than the vanguard but will change nonetheless.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Horizon isn’t really a restaurant but a self-service cafeteria, but the issue is the design of the ships means that often to get from one outside pool area to another you have to go through Horizon.

Standards haven’t gone out of the window, standards have changed, and that is exactly why the number of ‘mandatory’ black-tie nights has been reduced (mandatory because it is if you want full access to the ship).

But why insist on a standard different to that which virtually every expensive UK restaurant demands?

When did you last see a UK restaurant that refused customers who were not wearing a tie and jacket?

Times have changed and wishing they hadn’t won’t bring them back.

P&O will eventually change when there is no longer a demand for black tie nights, until the majority wishes for change let's stop moaning about it and either accept it or change your cruising preferences.

As for the young people who passed us carrying trays of food, I would hazard a guess they was about to eat.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

P&O will eventually change when there is no longer a demand for black tie nights, 

That change is already in the process of taking place, with P&O having reduced the number of formal nights (and renaming them so they seem less formal), and removing the nights where a jacket was required.

22 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

until the majority wishes for change let's stop moaning about it and either accept it or change your cruising preferences.

It would seem P&O already know what the majority of people actually buying tickets want and would prefer them not to go elsewhere, hence the changes they have made, and will continue to make.

24 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

As for the young people who passed us carrying trays of food, I would hazard a guess they was about to eat.

But eat where? Was it in the seating areas that the designers of the ships have helpfully put outside Horizon and next to the pools.

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

That change is already in the process of taking place, with P&O having reduced the number of formal nights

Only on the two new ships.  The rest of the fleet continue with two formal nights a week.

As an aside,  good to see a new dress code thread, with the same old arguments denigrating the formal dress code being wheeled out. 

It's taking me back to 2015, when I first posted,  and the arguments are still the same. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Only on the two new ships.  The rest of the fleet continue with two formal nights a week.

As an aside,  good to see a new dress code thread, with the same old arguments denigrating the formal dress code being wheeled out. 

It's taking me back to 2015, when I first posted,  and the arguments are still the same. 

The arguments are the same, but I think I sense a little less vitriol and a change in the balance of opinion. Far less one sided than it used to be.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Wolfman said:

As for 'black tie nights are so 1920 to 1940 not 2022.'  I understand this to mean that in 2022 standards have completely gone out of the window so why bother to have black-tie nights. What a shame that cruising is essentially being bought down to lowest levels and standards of dress by those who are 'newcomers' attracted by the low prices of cruises. It's all about standards darling, that's why it's not appropriate to come shabbily dressed to decent restaurants and hang out in the clothes that you would go to the local pub dressed in.

I’m a ‘ newcomer attracted by the low price’  and I don’t think my evening clothes were of a ‘low standard’ when I cruised earlier this year. 

In fact, before sailing  I was concerned Iona would be too informal for my cruising expectations, but actually many people got ‘dressed up’ every evening, young old and in-between. 

• Like 10

Just now, happy v said:

Do you think we are all mellowing?

My son and family had their first cruise in August and enjoyed dressing up. My 14year old granddaughter looked stunning. First time I've seen her without jeans for years! It's what makes cruising different 

• Like 4

Well we seem to have successfully scared off Clarets which is a shame.  Reading the history they were originally booked on the Iona maiden and this is their replacement cruise.  Sadly yet another thread that's lost it's way and apparently Clarets with it.

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well we seem to have successfully scared off Clarets which is a shame.  Reading the history they were originally booked on the Iona maiden and this is their replacement cruise.  Sadly yet another thread that's lost it's way and apparently Clarets with it.

It happens lots. I think some folk have expectations that their view is the only valid view.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 9265359 said:

You assume that the older ships will remain in the long term, which I seriously doubt they will.

Sadly, I don't assume that at all. I have accepted that my sailing with P&O is in its 'twilight years'. I have booked Aurora for next summer but despite various assurances will not be convinced until the day I board...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Sadly, I don't assume that at all. I have accepted that my sailing with P&O is in its 'twilight years'. I have booked Aurora for next summer but despite various assurances will not be convinced until the day I board...

No point assuming anything these days Andrew, I think so many of us have missed cruises for lots of reasons that we are hardened to it, no point worrying about things you have no control over. When I booked Aurora for next Oct I was thinking probably 70% chance that it would go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I’m a ‘ newcomer attracted by the low price’  and I don’t think my evening clothes were of a ‘low standard’ when I cruised earlier this year. 

In fact, before sailing  I was concerned Iona would be too informal for my cruising expectations, but actually many people got ‘dressed up’ every evening, young old and in-between. 

I'm also a new cruiser but am actually looking forward to the formal night and have made sure hubby and little one have the appropriate attire. Hubby actually has a bow tie.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, excitedcruisemummy said:

I'm also a new cruiser but am actually looking forward to the formal night and have made sure hubby and little one have the appropriate attire. Hubby actually has a bow tie.

I loved having a chance to dress up. We’re on Ventura next year and expect to have 4 formal nights which I’m really looking forward to. I’m hoping to persuade my husband to get a tux but he’s more likely to want to wear a 3 piece suit. He forgot to pack his white shirt when we were on Iona in May 🙄 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I loved having a chance to dress up. We’re on Ventura next year and expect to have 4 formal nights which I’m really looking forward to. I’m hoping to persuade my husband to get a tux but he’s more likely to want to wear a 3 piece suit. He forgot to pack his white shirt when we were on Iona in May 🙄 

Was that an accidental forget lol. 

Part of the fun for me is getting the chance to dress up, don't get that much often where I live so it will be a treat for us. Bit gutted that my 5 year olds dress is much posher than mine though lol.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, excitedcruisemummy said:

Was that an accidental forget lol. 

Part of the fun for me is getting the chance to dress up, don't get that much often where I live so it will be a treat for us. Bit gutted that my 5 year olds dress is much posher than mine though lol.

Well, he says it was accidental. His suit and shirt were the only things he had to pack, I did the rest 😊

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I forgot my formal shirt in June on Britannia, but managed with a smart short sleeved black shirt with a faint silvery star pattern and a bow tie with my DJ for 2 formal nights, the other 2 we used the Glass House and Beach House, no one seemed to notice, or if they did they were too polite to comment.  I dont actually mind wearing a DJ, but did prefer Iona with only 1 per week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think the last few posts show that people do actually like dressing up, despite what others may say. 

I totally agree wowzz. On our September cruise on Azura the 4 formal nights were very well adhered to. It was a delight for me to sit in the Blue Bar around 6.00 -6.30 and see all the beautiful dresses worn by all age groups, the men too looked great. We were on second sitting and again there were lots in formal dress.

• Like 2

A few years ago whilst at a hotel pre-cruise I realised I had forgotten to pack cuff-links.

Bought a set in Debenhams.  Kept the receipt and packaging.  When we got home went into the local Debenhams, came up with some of paltry excuse.  "Not a problem, we can refund to your credit card".  Job done. Probably the only thing I've ever taken back to Debenhams.