Is there a "best check in time" to avoid some of the crowds?

tdbates

Cruising on the Sunshine out of Charleston in a few weeks. This is our first cruise, and our check-in starts on Saturday. We are driving to Charleston that morning from the Charlotte area. Is there anything to do on the ship besides eat/drink on arrival day? I'm trying to figure out if there is a benefit to arriving early versus 1-2 pm (4 pm departure). I'd also like to avoid big crowds if at all possible, although I'm also aware that this is a cruise ship and crowds are part of the experience and probably unavoidable. Anyways, would love some suggestions for check-in times!

If you want to avoid crowds AND be able to have access to your cabin as soon as you get on the ship chose a late check-in time, after 1 PM.  

Other than eating there's not really much to do when you first get on the ship anyway, and if you board early you have to lug around your carry-on items until you can get in your cabin at 1:30.

• Like 6

I am an advocate for as late as possible   Missing that first feeding at the buffet is a blessing in disguise because frankly it can be pretty disgusting seeing how much food people pile on their plates, how many kids are licking their fingers and then touching all the serving utensils, not to mention the maze of suitcases throughout the seating area.  I would grab a light lunch en route which would give you a good appetite for your first MDR visiting that evening.  Trust me by the end of the week your won't regret missing that one buffet meal.

• Like 5

Same here, I would like to check-in for our cruise.  Have been trying off and on all day and keep getting message for me to return on October 27th.   I wonder if the whole check-in system is down or only for those of us trying to check-in for 11/12 Sunshine sailing.

1 hour ago, tdbates said:

Cruising on the Sunshine out of Charleston in a few weeks. This is our first cruise, and our check-in starts on Saturday. We are driving to Charleston that morning from the Charlotte area. Is there anything to do on the ship besides eat/drink on arrival day? I'm trying to figure out if there is a benefit to arriving early versus 1-2 pm (4 pm departure). I'd also like to avoid big crowds if at all possible, although I'm also aware that this is a cruise ship and crowds are part of the experience and probably unavoidable. Anyways, would love some suggestions for check-in times!

A check in time of 1030-11:00 or as you said around 1:00 or 2:00pm will be the least crowded times. On embarkation day it's near impossible to avoid the crowd. After lunch  drop your carry on off in your cabin and go out and get the layout of the ship. Come back to your cabin and unpack your luggage. Go check out the deck party, before you know it, it will be early evening and time for dinner ( if you have early or YTD ). We are platinum, and arrive early. I enjoy sitting around the Lido deck having lunch and a few drinks while people watching. And have my cruise ritual, a Guys Berger.

2 minutes ago, LindaJean said:

Same here, I would like to check-in for our cruise.  Have been trying off and on all day and keep getting message for me to return on October 27th.   I wonder if the whole check-in system is down or only for those of us trying to check-in for 11/12 Sunshine sailing.

Try a different browser, the Carnival web site is always having problems

2 hours ago, Coopdog08 said:

I would just like to check in for my cruise🤷‍♂️… when I go to the page to check in it says come back on Oct 27th. Well that’s today🤔

2 hours ago, LindaJean said:

I'm also sailing on the 12th. My Carnival hub app says check in is tomorrow, the 28th. Though I'm pretty sure it said the 29th last time I checked it. 

Thanks everyone! I think we'll shoot for a later check-in if possible and either have lunch en route to Charleston or show up in Charleston a few hours early and have lunch there. I'd really prefer to just go to our room first, if its available, before exploring the ship. 

• Like 1