Transportation from The Alaska Rail Station

BIBPhotography

Good Morning,

We are in the planning phase of our Alaska Cruise for July 2023 and have a question.  We are arriving in Seward on July 24, 2023 and are planning on taking the train that evening to Anchorage.  We should arrive around 10:00pm and will be heading to the Ted Stevens Airport for our flight back to Nashville, TN.  What is the best way to get to the airport that late at night for an outgoing flight?  Looking at all options, but cant seem to find any answers.  Thanks in advance!

Santa Scott

8 hours ago, BIBPhotography said:

We are arriving in Seward on July 24, 2023 and are planning on taking the train that evening to Anchorage. We should arrive around 10:00pm and will be heading to the Ted Stevens Airport for our flight back to Nashville, TN. What is the best way to get to the airport that late at night for an outgoing flight?

Alas, only the morning train from Seward goes directly to the airport, and the evening train goes only to the station in downtown Anchorage. Using that evening train, you should arrive in Anchorage at about 10:15 p.m. Note that sunset in Anchorage on your travel date will be at 10:58 p.m., with civil twilight continuing past midnight. Barring any substantial delays you should be able to get one of the last buses of the day from downtown Anchorage to the airport. It is about a 15-minute walk from the railroad station to the downtown transit center located on West 6th Avenue, between G Street and H Street. If the train arrives slightly early and you walk lively, you could board the bus that departs the downtown transit center at 10:26 p.m.; otherwise you could board the bus departing at 11:16 p.m., which is the last bus of the night. The trip to the airport takes about 27 minutes travel time, meaning that these buses are scheduled to arrive at the airport at 10:53 p.m. and 11:43 p.m., respectively. The transit bus system in Anchorage is known as People Mover, the bus route is number 40, and the fare is $2.00 for adults or $1.00 for seniors age 60 or greater (exact fare required). http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Pages/default.aspx Of course, one could always travel by taxi or TNC vehicle, but going that route does not require any explanation.

You may want to reconsider whether travel by railroad from Seward is your best means of getting to the airport, given the inconvenience of the late night connection in downtown Anchorage. Moreover, Both the Park Connection (operated by Premier Alaska Tours and brokered by Alaska Tour and Travel) and Alaska Cruise Transportation bus services operate direct from Seward to the airport in Anchorage. Alaska Cruise Transportation provides service from the Intermodal Terminal (port) in Seward at 6:00 p.m., and Park Connection provides service from the nearby small boat harbor at 6:20 p.m., with travel time to the airport at 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Of course, if your flight does not depart until after midnight then you might have several hours to pass at the airport without much to do.

• Like 1

I’ve arrived in Anchorage on this train numerous times and at times needed to get to the airport.  A lot of people take the train so there will be lots of taxis, rideshares (Uber, Lyft) and hotel shuttles out front.  Uber is always my first choice and there are usually a lot of drivers available.  But you do have to wait for a ride.

I have also pre booked a taxi through the Anchorage Yellow Taxi Company.  Costs a bit more but then you are guaranteed a ride instead of trying to catch a cab or Uber.  I just downloaded their app and made the booking.

• Like 2

My past experience with the People Mover is that they are not very dependable. I waited for a bus that never showed and found out later the route was discontinued 2 years prior. They aren't very good with updating their online site! Just my experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

My past experience with the People Mover is that they are not very dependable. I waited for a bus that never showed and found out later the route was discontinued 2 years prior. They aren't very good with updating their online site! Just my experience.

Sometimes there are instances where websites are not updated, but my experience is that is rare. In the case of service to and from Eagle River, I might have great concern because the route 92 service there is peak only. (I wonder . . . if the route discontinuance was the result of that major service restructuring back in 2017? So many routes and route numbers were changed then, former route 102 being replaced by route 92 for service to and from Eagle River!) On the other hand, the more intense service on route 40 to and from the airport would not so much be subject to discontinuance as much as just a schedule change. If planning out a trip months in advance, I would certainly double-check the schedule, shortly before setting forth for Alaska, to make certain that the schedule has not been changed . . . or otherwise adjust the details of my travel expectations if the schedule has changed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

If they don't update their schedule how is it possible to check. ThePeople Mover bus stop signs are still present in Eagle River !!

Check the website for the most recent People Mover Ride Guide . . . and to be absolutely certain give a call to confirm: (907) 343-6543 Typically, bus stops are regulatory signs installed by a municipality, separate and apart from the provider of the transit bus service. Many times old bus stop signs remain in place--because the city council or regulatory agency has not revoked the bus stop regulation, notwithstanding the absence of bus service, sometimes out of negligence and sometimes so as to bank the location for future bus service. So yes, there can be situations where no buses stop at designated bus stops . . . so one does have to ascertain where the bus operates before starting to wait at any random bus stop. I imagine that there are also errant highway directional signs as well. If a problem, complain to your city council member! Just as it being good practice to have a current highway map if driving, also good practice to have a current bus route map if traveling by bus . . . Google Maps tends to be very good at providing both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

It's not worth the savings of taking the bus and having to schlep your luggage uphill to the bus station.

If someone asks for "all options," I generally let them decide if it is worthwhile schlepping baggage--if any--or not. Obviously, there is no uniform consensus on such personal value judgments.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, it's been very helpful.  I think we have decided instead of taking the train and having an early morning flight, we are just gonna rent a car and drive ourselves and go for a late afternoon flight.  But then again, that can change, we still have time!  

• Like 1

While our OP has solved their issue I just want to comment, for people who use the search function and find this thread in the future, that Alaska is currently experiencing a severe labor shortage.  And that shortage includes folks who have Commercial Driver's Licenses.  In Fairbanks some bus routes have been limited.  School districts are experiencing incredible issues with their school bus routes.  And I believe the Anchorage municipal bus routes are also having issues.  As previously noted the area round the train station is less than desirable at night.  Don't try to take a bus from the rail station to the airport.

I didn't see another option - that of staying at an airport hotel with shuttle pick-up.

Arrive train depot - take hotel shuttle to airport hotel and next day take the hotel shuttle

to the airport and a convenient flight home to the lower 48 - - -

Knock yourself out in gradual steps - - -

Arrive at Depot 10pm and red-eye flight leaves 1am is doable but the S-T-R-E-S-S ### !

Edited by don't-use-real-name