"Royal Up" Upgrades

Epinz300

Has anyone successfully used this service?

Wife and I are currently in a Balcony room and saw we could "bid" to upgrade to a Junior Stuite or others above.  Curious if anyone has done this and been successful and if so, and you feel comfortable, what you bid?  I know it is going to vary by cruise but just curious.  I see about 15 junior suites left if I go to make a booking and we are roughly 2-ish weeks away from the cruise.

I have bid but have never won.  15 JS with 2 weeks left are a lot so there is a chance.  For comparison, I am about 7 weeks out and JS are currently sold out.  Bid what you are comfortable with paying for the upgrade since its not cancellable if you win.  I don't go crazy.  I will bid more than the minimum but its never more than the second level of the scale.  We are usually on pretty full ships though.  

Edited by Liljo22

We have received Royal Up's.  Price varies depending upon what you paid and which ship.  IMO if it isn't too much and you can upgrade to a true suite, totally worth the perks.  You know what you can afford of course.

The Jr. suite is nice.  It is a larger cabin with a large closet and larger bathroom.  However, no access to suite restaurant for lunch and breakfast and dinner based on availability   We got a Jr. suite on the adventure- that IMO was a waste.  On the newer ships, much nicer suites and amenities.

On both upcoming cruises I actually wrote down (and check week to week) the inventory and prices in the suites category just for this reason: I don't want to overbid, but I also want to place a "fair" bid. This is my first time being able to use the service, before that I used to book a suite GTY if available and that usually worked out better lol (from jr. suite to grand suite). In your case I would think that since there's a lot of inventory you might have a good chance, GL!

2 hours ago, Epinz300 said:

Has anyone successfully used this service?

Wife and I are currently in a Balcony room and saw we could "bid" to upgrade to a Junior Stuite or others above.  Curious if anyone has done this and been successful and if so, and you feel comfortable, what you bid?  I know it is going to vary by cruise but just curious.  I see about 15 junior suites left if I go to make a booking and we are roughly 2-ish weeks away from the cruise.

I have bid and won 3 times this year.  What I cannot stress enough is for you to go to the Royal Up page and read ALL the rules and fine print.  Once you bid, you can modify and cancel, but once you win or they move you to a 'pending' pool of bids, there is no going back. Your bid will be charged to your card and your old room is now gone.  So if you love your room now and/or need it to be in a specific location such as close to the elevators, or other area, then DO NOT BID.  You should also look at the deck plans to see if any Jr suites are in areas where there might be something that bothers you--such as over a loud nightclub or under the pool deck where they start moving chairs around.  If you can live with whatever the worst possible location is for the category you are bidding on, then go for it  Also, keep in mind that since you're in a balcony now, you'll still just get a single point per night towards your C&A status, you won't get the 2 points per night that you get when you originally book a Jr Suite or above. 

5 hours ago, rockmom said:

I have bid and won 3 times this year.  What I cannot stress enough is for you to go to the Royal Up page and read ALL the rules and fine print.  Once you bid, you can modify and cancel, but once you win or they move you to a 'pending' pool of bids, there is no going back. Your bid will be charged to your card and your old room is now gone.  So if you love your room now and/or need it to be in a specific location such as close to the elevators, or other area, then DO NOT BID.  You should also look at the deck plans to see if any Jr suites are in areas where there might be something that bothers you--such as over a loud nightclub or under the pool deck where they start moving chairs around.  If you can live with whatever the worst possible location is for the category you are bidding on, then go for it  Also, keep in mind that since you're in a balcony now, you'll still just get a single point per night towards your C&A status, you won't get the 2 points per night that you get when you originally book a Jr Suite or above. 

Yea I checked and it seems all the available JR suites right now are 8th, 9th, or 10th floor it would be nice for the bigger bathroom and bigger room but I am not banking on getting it seeing how we only bid an extra $100/pp haha

• Like 1