COVID Quarantine and Refund - Royal Caribbean

Finally went on our first post-COVID cruise in early September on Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas.  Regrettably I got COVID at the end of day 3 of a 10-day cruise and was quarantined in their isolation 'ward' for the remainder of the cruise.  Has anyone had experience with obtaining refunds from RC related to COVID quarantine onboard?  It's now been 7 weeks and although I requested the refund shortly after the cruise, I've not heard from them since.  Before leaving the cruise ship, the guest services manager said they would give us pro-rated refunds of both cruise fare and gratuities for both my spouse and me.  (My spouse was semi-quarantined in her room, being required to eat in her room and not participate in public activities.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tennessee2016 said:

Finally went on our first post-COVID cruise in early September on Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas.  Regrettably I got COVID at the end of day 3 of a 10-day cruise and was quarantined in their isolation 'ward' for the remainder of the cruise.  Has anyone had experience with obtaining refunds from RC related to COVID quarantine onboard?  It's now been 7 weeks and although I requested the refund shortly after the cruise, I've not heard from them since.  Before leaving the cruise ship, the guest services manager said they would give us pro-rated refunds of both cruise fare and gratuities for both my spouse and me.  (My spouse was semi-quarantined in her room, being required to eat in her room and not participate in public activities.)

I got Covid on Quantum in May and received a prorated refund of my cruise fare and also a refund of the expenses I incurred while I had to finish my quarantine in a hotel in Seattle.  I made sure I had a letter from the ship before I left, stating what I would be receiving.  The letter stated it would take at least four weeks to hear from anyone.  I received an automated email concerning my cruise fare refund within a week, with the name of the person who would be taking care of my refund.  I received that refund within about four weeks and it was for the amount I had expected.

I was a little slow submitting my receipts for refund but received an automated email for that claim and the name of someone who would be handling my refund.  Email again stated it would take around four weeks.  It was a little longer than that when I received a phone call from the representative handling my claim.  She was wonderful!  She had a few questions about how I wanted my refund returned as she could see we had charged it to multiple credit cards and could have refunded each amount individually if I preferred.  She said I would receive my refund within 7 to 10 days from the call and it came in about 5 days.  

Did you receive anything in writing prior to leaving the ship?  Did you get some kind of automated email when you did request your refund?  I know they were very apologetic about timing because they were so backlogged at the time I was getting my refund.

I was just also on a cruise earlier this month and ended up in isolation again.  I did get a letter from Guest Services and it again says it should be about four weeks before I see any refund.  I only got off the ship on October 16th, so I am not planning on contacting anyone yet.

I would reach out for a status update if I were you.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I contracted Covid on Day 3 of the second leg of a back to back 5/7 day cruise to Mexico on the Navigator of the Seas. The ship crew couldn’t have been better. Free room service, internet, phone etc. I was  promised a pro rated refund of my cruise fare. Waited four weeks then called for status. Was told I would not receive a refund. That “ we are no longer issuing refunds after September 30th.” Well,  cruise disembarked on September 30th so we were inside the date. It took an hour to resolve. Now, we wait again. We also canceled a cruise when we got back. We were promptly refunded $700 of $900 dollars of a fully refundable fare. $200 short! That cruise was booked for September of 2023. Got that resolved too (we think). I’ll believe it when I see it. So, problems with both refunds we were owed.  We are loyal Royal cruisers. Diamond Plus status. I am very leery of Royal’s customer service now. It’s a shame. Might have to change cruise lines. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rdailybread said:

I contracted Covid on Day 3 of the second leg of a back to back 5/7 day cruise to Mexico on the Navigator of the Seas. The ship crew couldn’t have been better. Free room service, internet, phone etc. I was  promised a pro rated refund of my cruise fare. Waited four weeks then called for status. Was told I would not receive a refund. That “ we are no longer issuing refunds after September 30th.” Well,  cruise disembarked on September 30th so we were inside the date. It took an hour to resolve. Now, we wait again. We also canceled a cruise when we got back. We were promptly refunded $700 of $900 dollars of a fully refundable fare. $200 short! That cruise was booked for September of 2023. Got that resolved too (we think). I’ll believe it when I see it. So, problems with both refunds we were owed.  We are loyal Royal cruisers. Diamond Plus status. I am very leery of Royal’s customer service now. It’s a shame. Might have to change cruise lines. 

With the constantly changing refund policies it is very easy for them to get confused.  Did you send them the letter you received on the ship?  That should have detailed everything for them.

• Like 1

reallyitsmema, yes, I sent a copy of the positive test result that I got onboard. Also, the fact sheet detailing their policy including the qualifying dates. I don’t agree that it was a simple misunderstanding. It took an hour to get them to agree I was owed a refund. The refund policy is still on their website as plain as day!

5 minutes ago, rdailybread said:

reallyitsmema, yes, I sent a copy of the positive test result that I got onboard. Also, the fact sheet detailing their policy including the qualifying dates. I don’t agree that it was a simple misunderstanding. It took an hour to get them to agree I was owed a refund. The refund policy is still on their website as plain as day!

I received a letter from Guest Services both times I was quarantined/isolated this year.  The letters I received clearly states exactly what I will be receiving, date of the sailing and my reservation number.  I would suggest that if you are promised a refund or FCC in the future, do not leave the ship without securing a letter from Guest Services. 

Both my DH and I have been quarantined prior to covid for influenza and we received letters then too.  In that instance, we were never contacted by the cruise line to initiate the FCC.  I called after a few weeks to see what the status was and was able to send copies of the letters to the post cruise department and received the FCC within days.  The post cruise department was able to contact the ship and see we were in the quarantine log for our sailing based on the letters.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I received a letter from Guest Services both times I was quarantined/isolated this year.  The letters I received clearly states exactly what I will be receiving, date of the sailing and my reservation number.  I would suggest that if you are promised a refund or FCC in the future, do not leave the ship without securing a letter from Guest Services. 

Both my DH and I have been quarantined prior to covid for influenza and we received letters then too.  In that instance, we were never contacted by the cruise line to initiate the FCC.  I called after a few weeks to see what the status was and was able to send copies of the letters to the post cruise department and received the FCC within days.  The post cruise department was able to contact the ship and see we were in the quarantine log for our sailing based on the letters.

We have received the $200 that Royal shorted us on our cancellation, but not the refund of my cruise fare. If it should happen again I will definitely do as you suggest.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, reallyitsmema said:

Did you receive anything in writing prior to leaving the ship?  Did you get some kind of automated email when you did request your refund?  I know they were very apologetic about timing because they were so backlogged at the time I was getting my refund.

I was just also on a cruise earlier this month and ended up in isolation again.  I did get a letter from Guest Services and it again says it should be about four weeks before I see any refund.  I only got off the ship on October 16th, so I am not planning on contacting anyone yet.

I would reach out for a status update if I were you.  Good luck.

Agree. Have always received a letter showing what I'm to get while still on Ship, this for Quarantine, Isolation and for 2 Flooded Cabins on 2 Different Cruises. Prorated Money and/or FCC received back in 5-10days, not that everyone has same experience. 2 of these resent as last April and May

On 10/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Probably means if the passenger doesn't keep at it with Royal they will just hope you forget about it and don't press the issue. Therefore no refund issued by Royal.

Pretty much meaning anyone looking for a refund now, don't count on Royal contacting you now, you must keep after them!

Get everything documented while still on the ship!!

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Probably means if the passenger doesn't keep at it with Royal they will just hope you forget about it and don't press the issue. Therefore no refund issued by Royal.

Pretty much meaning anyone looking for a refund now, don't count on Royal contacting you now, you must keep after them!

Get everything documented while still on the ship!!

I choose not to look at everything the cruise line does as a negative. I dealt with a wonderful, compassionate rep after I had Covid. She introduced herself and said she was calling concerning my claim but first wanted to know how I was feeling and had I fully recovered. I did not have to keep after them as you suggested, they reached out to me. 

At no point did I feel anyone I dealt with hoped that I would forget about my claim. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I choose not to look at everything the cruise line does as a negative. I dealt with a wonderful, compassionate rep after I had Covid. She introduced herself and said she was calling concerning my claim but first wanted to know how I was feeling and had I fully recovered. I did not have to keep after them as you suggested, they reached out to me. 

At no point did I feel anyone I dealt with hoped that I would forget about my claim. 

I'm talking about how it currently. Not when you had covid.