Wonder of the Seas Help

hollon

Advice on a 5 day cruise on the Wonder, are there any activities, shows, etc. on a 5 day.  I've only taken 7 day cruises but the person I'm going with feels like they will get sea sick and only want to do a short cruise. Has anyone been on the Wonder?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's rare to get seasick (to the point it impacts your activities) on a cruise ship during normal weather.

If your guest has that concern, have their doc prescribe the patch for at a minimum peace of mind.

does the patch make you sleepy

14 minutes ago, hollon said:

Advice on a 5 day cruise on the Wonder, are there any activities, shows, etc. on a 5 day.  I've only taken 7 day cruises but the person I'm going with feels like they will get sea sick and only want to do a short cruise. 

If that is the criteria, don’t waste a bunch of money on Wonder, take a 3 or 4 day cruise on Indy or Freedom to confirm they won’t get sick and actually enjoy cruising. 

You can try to find a current 5 day cruise on any O class and look at what they cut out from the 7 day norm. 

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If that is the criteria, don’t waste a bunch of money on Wonder, take a 3 or 4 day cruise on Indy or Freedom to confirm they won’t get sick and actually enjoy cruising. 

You can try to find a current 5 day cruise on any O class and look at what they cut out from the 7 day norm. 

I was thinking of the Freedom Class, but this person has never cruised before, only whale watching, so that's why he thinks he'll get sick. The ships are so big that we barely feel motion.  Do you think you'll feel more motion with a freedom class since they're smaller than Oasis class?

If it's possible to take a cruise from San Juan, I'd suggest doing that. The seas in the Southern Caribbean are much more calm than Eastern (the worst in my experience because you're further out into the open water of the Atlantic Ocean) or Western (closer to the Gulf, which is a more contained body of water than the Atlantic).

I get seasick, but have only had a major problem once, when we sailed an eastern itinerary on a Voyager class ship during rough seas (rough enough that people were losing their balance walking through the hallways). 

Since then, I've always brought the scopolamine patch with me. I've learned that it's best to put it on the morning of the cruise, before getting on the ship, and then leave it on until day 2 or 3, and then remove it for at least a day (or more if you feel that you're not getting queasy). The reason I do that is because the patch can make your eyesight blurry and it can give you a sore throat, when you get too much medication for your body to process. I left mine on for almost the whole 7 days once and by day 5 I couldn't even read the dinner menu. My eyesight came back hours after removing it. 

I've cruised the Southern Route out of San Juan a couple times, and haven't needed the patch at all. The seas down there are so much calmer, and there are so many port stops that you're never on the ship for very long, and the likelihood of getting sea sick is much lower. 

Another benefit of the southern route (and I stress again that I'm talking about the southern route that leaves from San Juan, not the ones that leave from the mainland), is that the beaches are so much better. Such beautiful, crystal blue, calm water, and just overall more authentic islands. It's my favorite route, and in my opinion, the best Caribbean route for people who get seasick. 

5 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

If it's possible to take a cruise from San Juan, I'd suggest doing that. The seas in the Southern Caribbean are much more calm than Eastern (the worst in my experience because you're further out into the open water of the Atlantic Ocean) or Western (closer to the Gulf, which is a more contained body of water than the Atlantic).

I get seasick, but have only had a major problem once, when we sailed an eastern itinerary on a Voyager class ship during rough seas (rough enough that people were losing their balance walking through the hallways). 

Since then, I've always brought the scopolamine patch with me. I've learned that it's best to put it on the morning of the cruise, before getting on the ship, and then leave it on until day 2 or 3, and then remove it for at least a day (or more if you feel that you're not getting queasy). The reason I do that is because the patch can make your eyesight blurry and it can give you a sore throat, when you get too much medication for your body to process. I left mine on for almost the whole 7 days once and by day 5 I couldn't even read the dinner menu. My eyesight came back hours after removing it. 

I've cruised the Southern Route out of San Juan a couple times, and haven't needed the patch at all. The seas down there are so much calmer, and there are so many port stops that you're never on the ship for very long, and the likelihood of getting sea sick is much lower. 

Another benefit of the southern route (and I stress again that I'm talking about the southern route that leaves from San Juan, not the ones that leave from the mainland), is that the beaches are so much better. Such beautiful, crystal blue, calm water, and just overall more authentic islands. It's my favorite route, and in my opinion, the best Caribbean route for people who get seasick. 

thanky you, makes sense 🙂