Booking P&O for non UK residents. Insurance requirements

sherrjo

Hello,

We were thinking of booking our first cruise next Christmas 2023 around the Canary Islands when doing a dummy booking it mentioned cruise insurance but the link is only for UK residents. I live in Belgium not a great cruising nation so there isn't any specific cruise insurance policy. Likewise our friends will be coming from Ireland and also have problems trying to find this specific cruise insurance.

Are they really so strict about this insurance? If so where can we find cruise insurance that covers non UK residents?

Thanks,

You normally need to buy insurance in your own country. You need to ensure that the policy covers medical treatment on the ship and possible evacuation. Many standard policies may cover this.

There are often specific cruise extensions that cover for example missed ports or confinment to cabin, that is an option that you can choose but is not required by P&O

If you don't live in the UK then don't use the UK P&O website to book a cruise. You would be breaking the terms and conditions from step 1 and are liable to have your cruise cancelled. Suggest you contact your local P&O approved agent or call the contact center so that you can purchase the cruise and be correctly covered legally.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sherrjo said:

Hello,

We were thinking of booking our first cruise next Christmas 2023 around the Canary Islands when doing a dummy booking it mentioned cruise insurance but the link is only for UK residents. I live in Belgium not a great cruising nation so there isn't any specific cruise insurance policy. Likewise our friends will be coming from Ireland and also have problems trying to find this specific cruise insurance.

Are they really so strict about this insurance? If so where can we find cruise insurance that covers non UK residents?

Thanks,

Hi Sherrjo

We live in the Netherlands and just sent the list of requirements to our travel/health insurer and they are putting together a cover letter for us saying that what is required is covered. Should think that you would be able to do the same thing in Belgium.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If you don't live in the UK then don't use the UK P&O website to book a cruise. You would be breaking the terms and conditions from step 1 and are liable to have your cruise cancelled. Suggest you contact your local P&O approved agent or call the contact center so that you can purchase the cruise and be correctly covered legally.

We booked our Canadian relatives on Ventura as well as on RCIs Navigator OTS, both Southampton sailings. We did not make a secret of their citizenship and of course their passports clearly showed it, and neither cruise line made any comment about them not being  correctly legally covered.

20 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I've never heard of this before. I did a dummy booking and at no point on any of their sites did it state UK residents only. Where are you getting this information from? I am hoping to avail of their free flights from london. We are going to Eurostar to Gatwick and overnight in a hotel at the airport. 

you couldn't possibly travel without travel insurance.  You could need medical attention on the ship which is very expensive, you could be offloaded with Covid.  you could even need emergency evacuation by helicopter from the ship which is mega money.

Morning all.

I rang PO this AM as I have booked my sister on Iona for May 2023 through their web site, and she lives in Belgium.  I was told 100% no issues with this booking. She will arrange her own insurance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sherrjo said:

I've never heard of this before. I did a dummy booking and at no point on any of their sites did it state UK residents only. Where are you getting this information from? I am hoping to avail of their free flights from london. We are going to Eurostar to Gatwick and overnight in a hotel at the airport. 

This poster is an employee of the company. He did not say you cannot book only you should not do it on the P&O UK website.

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

you couldn't possibly travel without travel insurance.  You could need medical attention on the ship which is very expensive, you could be offloaded with Covid.  you could even need emergency evacuation by helicopter from the ship which is mega money.

I know I will ask tomorrow to my insurance company to see if I’m covered for cruises I have very expensive comprehensive insurance but like I said Belgians just don’t usually cruise they ski. 

7 hours ago, Mark36 said:

Morning all.

I rang PO this AM as I have booked my sister on Iona for May 2023 through their web site, and she lives in Belgium.  I was told 100% no issues with this booking. She will arrange her own insurance.

Can you ask who she will arrange her insurance through if you don’t mind? 

many thanks. 

2 hours ago, sherrjo said:

I know I will ask tomorrow to my insurance company to see if I’m covered for cruises I have very expensive comprehensive insurance but like I said Belgians just don’t usually cruise they ski. 

Can you ask who she will arrange her insurance through if you don’t mind? 

many thanks. 

Hi Sherrjo, I have not spoken to my sister about insurance yet we will sort that out before final payment date. 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Who knew ! 

What do they do in the summer? 

Cycle and visit South of France. Travel insurance is very generic and not widely bought as most Belgians travel to other EU countries that reciprocate health care so no need for expensive insurance. Most buy it for ski holidays as it's expensive to be airlifted from a slope.  The UK has a history of cruising from Dover and Southampton so the insurance industry caters to it. 

Edited by sherrjo

23 minutes ago, sherrjo said:

Cycle and visit South of France. Travel insurance is very generic and not widely bought as most Belgians travel to other EU countries that reciprocate health care so no need for expensive insurance. Most buy it for ski holidays as it's expensive to be airlifted from a slope.  The UK has a history of cruising from Dover and Southampton so the insurance industry caters to it. 

We too have reciprocal healthcare with europe, but we are still recomended to buy holiday insurance for all holidays not just cruises.