B2B on same ship or do two different ones

heatheranderson13

Thoughts on B2B on Reflection or Beyond to Reflection (B2B but two different ships).  With the reflection we would have a balcony for 2 weeks and for Beyond it would floor 3 porthole and the balcony on the reflection.

Thoughts advice?  We have never done a back to back.

Some background and my thoughts - we have two teenagers (13 and 15)

- we have been on the reflection before (Kids first cruise 6 years ago).  Only other celebrity ship was the Equinox

- I love the idea of different food and different shows each week but is it worth changing boats for

- we would be going in March break time frame so boats are almost sold out - cannot travel any other time.

- Price is almost the same (balcony 600$ more)

- we do not get internet, do not get the drink package or visit specialty restaurants.

- we tend to be early to bed and early risers (11pm and 7am)

- I like the idea of experiencing two ships in one vacation

- Beyond love the idea of Captain Kate (we always miss her) but worried with the bad reviews as of late

- I am always worried I will get bored of the food (is this possible)

- We eat in the MDR for dinners and buffet and other free restaurants for Breakfast and Lunch

- We share one room (kids still love to do this) they will share the couch

Thanks all in advance for your thoughts and help.

We just got off the Beyond and although the ship had a lot of new crew the cruise was great.  Yes, there waits to get a drink at the Martini Bar & Grand Plaza.  First few days there were waits to be seated at dinner, particularly if you had not made a reservation.

The ship is beautiful and very different from the Reflection and Equinox.  Instead of 1 MDR there are 4 MDRs, smaller, less noisy and more of a restaurant feel than a big dining room.  Eden is beautiful and Eden Cafe is open for breakfast and lunch adding another free option for those meals.  

The production shows on the Beyond are amazing, this form someone who dislikes production shows and different than on the other ships.

I would recommend the Beyond to the Reflection.  It would be like taking 2 different cruises with new things to explore on 1 and returning to an old favorite on the other.

Edited by jelayne
added
  • Like 1

Even if the itinerary is different for the Reflection, I feel like the two weeks would all run together.  For myself it would be a much more memorable experience if I went on two different ships.  I have been on the Edge and Reflection and wouldn't hesitate to book the Beyond.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Even if the itinerary is different for the Reflection, I feel like the two weeks would all run together.  For myself it would be a much more memorable experience if I went on two different ships.  I have been on the Edge and Reflection and wouldn't hesitate to book the Beyond.

That was my thoughts, like two different vacations...I have not been since before covid so a long long time and this would be like WOW....however being on the 3rd floor porthole is a worry.  There are not a lot of reviews of this type of room under the shops (though the high end ones so won't be busy I would imagine)

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

We just got off the Beyond and although the ship had a lot of new crew the cruise was great.  Yes, there waits to get a drink at the Martini Bar & Grand Plaza.  First few days there were waits to be seated at dinner, particularly if you had not made a reservation.

The ship is beautiful and very different from the Reflection and Equinox.  Instead of 1 MDR there are 4 MDRs, smaller, less noisy and more of a restaurant feel than a big dining room.  Eden is beautiful and Eden Cafe is open for breakfast and lunch adding another free option for those meals.  

The production shows on the Beyond are amazing, this form someone who dislikes production shows and different than on the other ships.

I would recommend the Beyond to the Reflection.  It would be like taking 2 different cruises with new things to explore on 1 and returning to an old favorite on the other.

all great information.  Interesting to hear about the shows, this is def great to hear, as it has been awhile since we saw anything WOW.   Since we don't drink we won't have to wait so that is also a bonus.  If you don't mind me asking how was the food in the buffet?  My kid loves the typical teenager food, my son likes made to order pasta and eggs and meat, my husband likes the ethnic foods (esp indian) and I well am the picky one 🙂

11 minutes ago, heatheranderson13 said:

That was my thoughts, like two different vacations...I have not been since before covid so a long long time and this would be like WOW....however being on the 3rd floor porthole is a worry.  There are not a lot of reviews of this type of room under the shops (though the high end ones so won't be busy I would imagine)

Board the ship early, go to guest services and ask if there's any upgrades available.  Often, they have plenty of insides/OVs/balconies (yet AQs and suites are usually full), but this is assuming it's not near 100% capacity.

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Board the ship early, go to guest services and ask if there's any upgrades available.  Often, they have plenty of insides/OVs/balconies (yet AQs and suites are usually full), but this is assuming it's not near 100% capacity.

It is almost 100% sold out 🙂  We can get an inside but we are choosing not to - great idea

While staying on the same ship is easier, there is something to be said for jumping ship so you can experience an Edge class ship - they are very, very different than other Celebrity ships IMHO.  Some of the differences I love and others not so much.   Edge class definitely has a very big WOW factor, and they tend to get the best entertainment options.

It's not really that hard to change. We did something similar last December - Apex to Reflection.  Other than the small hassle of packing and unpacking again, the biggest issue (and it was not that big a deal) was that it was confusing trying to find the shuttle bus which would take us from one pier to the other (this was in Fort Lauderdale).  No one seemed to know where to tell us to go.  We finally found someone who could direct us to the bus.  When the bus parked at the new pier, we were unable to enter the boarding area until boarding started for everyone.  So we were all left standing outside until then.  Ok if the weather is nice I guess and you don't have to use the facilities unless you like Portapotties.  I would have thought Celebrity could have come up with a better idea of how to handle these side to side cruises as they are not all that uncommon.   So the best plan is to stay on the ship until you have to leave, or the latest time you can to catch the shuttle bus.  But at the end of the day, I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from doing it again.

As far as staying on the same ship instead - have done that many times as well.  But we are older and more into just relaxing and chilling than caring about activities onboard.  If you are very into the shows, for example, the production ones will be the same on each cruise.  The guest entertainers may or may not.  The lounge entertainers often stay, but that varies.  The menu is exactly the same, but there is so much variety that for me that is not a big deal.  And there is nothing like relaxing on the last night of the first leg while most everyone else is thinking about packing and flights home!