Live Review NCL GEM 11/6-11/13 Lots of Pictures Plenty of Random Thoughts Pre Cruise Adventure in Venice

BennyBrun

6 hours ago, LouChamp said:

We love Dubrovnik. Have been there countless times.  Had wonderful bread and prosciutto at a small inn with a  roaring brook and windmill along with excellent wine of course lol!

It’s such a beautiful place.  It’s all about Game of Thrones to the tourists 😂 

Dubrovnik Day 2

I forgot I had the $50.00 excursion credit so instead of touring via the bus I went with the Dubrovnik on your own thing.. which included the shuttle a pancake and round trip cable car ride for about $12.00 I just could not pass up on that price. 

No brainer!

You got a lot done - maybe your time ashore was longer than ours, or maybe we're just a lot slower than you!  :) 

I put my back out the day we flew out there, so couldn't do stairs unfortunately.  It's a fabulous city; hope to do a long weekend sometime.

Glad you're reacting to the Gem the same as us - subjectivity makes me hesitant to recommend unreservedly, but we felt the quality and variety of food on the Gem was the best of any NCL ship we've been on.  The buffet was so good that we didn't bother with the MDR most nights. 

There were 2030 guests on our sailing and the only place it ever felt crowded was the Atrium (so not a fan of activities in Atrium).

So many good things to say about the Gem, I really hope the dry dock doesn't take away any of the features that make it so special.

One thing I forgot to say earlier was that the management seem very visible, circulating in public spaces, chatting and getting feedback.  I'm not a very social person, but found them all very personable and easy to talk to (and once a conversation had occurred they greeted us like old friends every time we crossed paths.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cruising in mn said:

Hello

Great review, and photos, thank you!

Can you possibly post a photo of your dailys? 

Has your itinerary been altered at all due to the dry dock coming up? 

Do they happen to say where and how long the DD will be?

Thanks!

22 Days in France.  This was the original itinerary I picked because it stops at Messina Sicily.  Not a lot of itinerary stop there.  I will see if I still have them in my room.  I have been using the digital version.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Dubrovnik Day 2

I forgot I had the $50.00 excursion credit so instead of touring via the bus I went with the Dubrovnik on your own thing.. which included the shuttle a pancake and round trip cable car ride for about $12.00 I just could not pass up on that price. 

No brainer!

You got a lot done - maybe your time ashore was longer than ours, or maybe we're just a lot slower than you!  🙂

I put my back out the day we flew out there, so couldn't do stairs unfortunately.  It's a fabulous city; hope to do a long weekend sometime.

Glad you're reacting to the Gem the same as us - subjectivity makes me hesitant to recommend unreservedly, but we felt the quality and variety of food on the Gem was the best of any NCL ship we've been on.  The buffet was so good that we didn't bother with the MDR most nights. 

There were 2030 guests on our sailing and the only place it ever felt crowded was the Atrium (so not a fan of activities in Atrium).

So many good things to say about the Gem, I really hope the dry dock doesn't take away any of the features that make it so special.

One thing I forgot to say earlier was that the management seem very visible, circulating in public spaces, chatting and getting feedback.  I'm not a very social person, but found them all very personable and easy to talk to (and once a conversation had occurred they greeted us like old friends every time we crossed paths.)

They are doing mostly restaurant work atrium work and ALOT of carpet work!  ALOT!  The rooms will remain unchanged only suites will get an update!  Won’t say why the updates are.  The senior officers are always around.  Again this is where NCL shines!

• Like 2