Drinks Packages - Help us end our dithering!

MaraHornraven

Hello lovely knowledgeable internet folk!

I'm due to sail on the Dutch Christmas Markets cruise in December (38 days and counting!) with my parents and sister.  Mum and dad caught the bug back in 2017 with a TA from NY to Southampton and subsequently we went to Hamburg and back in Jan 2019 for my mum's 60th.  The bar bills have tended to be eyewatering (I think we spent somewhere in the region of $1000 on the Hamburg trip.....)

I've been trying to convince the parents that booking a Drinks package this time might be a better idea, however, there are a couple of snags that I wondered if you could help us with: 

• Two of us are drinkers, the other two aren't - if we were to purchase the drinks package for one cabin only (2 people), how does it work when it comes to ordering more than one drink?  I've seen a suggestion you have to order one drink at a time, at 10 minute intervals...  
  • I've also seen that it's a 15 drink per day limit - is that per person or per cabin?  Bearing in mind the above, is there a way to spread the alcohol across the four of us?  It will primarily be myself and my dad drinking, with mum and sister having probably a cocktail and glass of fizz each night.
  • The over $12 limit - do you just pay the difference with the discount, or the whole amount?  Mum wants to be able to buy the odd bottle of fizz and wants to know what discount she'd get, if any!

I'm trying to get to the bottom of how it would work in practice and indeed, whether you can use it to your advantage or whether they've closed any possible loop hole!  It's going to cost $700 for the package so I guess not a huge saving, but $300 goes towards a lot of other things on board so if we can save it, we'd like to!

Thank you in advance (and sorry if it's a cheeky ask!!)

The package is for one's individual use. It is 15 alcoholic drinks per day and person (unlimited non-alcoholic drinks).

You cannot share the package. If two people have the package, two do not, the later need to pay for each drink individually.

• Like 1

First of all, welcome to CruiseCritic. Just to expand a bit on the excellent advice you have already received.

44 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:
  • Two of us are drinkers, the other two aren't ...

If the two of you that are drinkers are in the same cabin, that will work since both persons in the same cabin will need to purchase the same package. Otherwise it won't work so well. If you have one drinker in each cabin, then all four of you would need to buy the package according to the stated terms and conditions for the drinks packages.

51 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:
  • The over $12 limit - do you just pay the difference with the discount, or the whole amount?

The terms and conditions for the Beers, Wines & Spirits drinks package state you will receive a 20% discount off the full price for drinks over the $12 limit.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice!  

Our thinking had been we'd only be drinking together in the evening and therefore we'd put two drinks packages on my parents cabin and order on their room cards for 2 alcoholic drinks and other drinks on our cabin. Will that work?

15 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Thanks for the advice!  

Our thinking had been we'd only be drinking together in the evening and therefore we'd put two drinks packages on my parents cabin and order on their room cards for 2 alcoholic drinks and other drinks on our cabin. Will that work?

That will work as long as both of your parents are the ones actually drinking the alcoholic drinks ordered using their drinks packages. Sharing is not permitted, so you (or your parents) can't order drinks using their drinks packages that you would be drinking yourself.

Edited by bluemarble

So here's my personal opinion...usually we do not the drinks packages because, although we do drink, the dollar break even point is usually 10-15 drinks per day each....even with specialty coffees and soda pop, we just don't drink that much.

HOWEVER, on our QM2 crossing a couple of weeks ago, we got one free as part of a promotional package.  I must say we enjoyed the freedom of only concerning ourselves if the drinks were over $12. There were plenty of decent choices. It was nice not to be thinking about the ever increasing bar tab we would face at the end of the cruise. Instead of a bottle of wine at lunch or dinner, we simply ordered wine by the glass.

That added relaxation has me rethinking my previous position against the packages.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That will work as long as both of your parents are the ones actually drinking the alcoholic drinks ordered using their drinks packages. Sharing is not permitted, so you (or your parents) can't order drinks using their drinks packages that you would be drinking yourself.

Damn, ok, we were trying to save a few pennies (dollars!!) But it obviously won't work the way we hoped it might (by subverting the system!)

1 minute ago, Gretchendz said:

So here's my personal opinion...usually we do not the drinks packages because, although we do drink, the dollar break even point is usually 10-15 drinks per day each....even with specialty coffees and soda pop, we just don't drink that much.

HOWEVER, on our QM2 crossing a couple of weeks ago, we got one free as part of a promotional package.  I must say we enjoyed the freedom of only concerning ourselves if the drinks were over $12. There were plenty of decent choices. It was nice not to be thinking about the ever increasing bar tab we would face at the end of the cruise. Instead of a bottle of wine at lunch or dinner, we simply ordered wine by the glass.

That added relaxation has me rethinking my previous position against the packages.

I mean, this has been our thinking (not worrying about the bill at the end!) But seemingly as we're a foursome, unless we fork out for four drinks packages, we can't share it seems (they order and I drink!)

It may still work out cheaper. Will relay all this back to the mother and see what she reckons. 

• Haha 1

If two of you are drinkers, and two are not, just have the two drinkers officially assigned to same cabin and get them packages. Then don't get the package for the two non-drinkers.

No one cares who sleeps in which cabin really.    Just bear in mind the two non-drinkers will be paying for anything they do drink, including specialty coffees, and soda pop.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

If two of you are drinkers, and two are not, just have the two drinkers officially assigned to same cabin and get them packages. Then don't get the package for the two non-drinkers.

No one cares who sleeps in which cabin really.    Just bear in mind the two non-drinkers will be paying for anything they do drink, including specialty coffees, and soda pop.

A potential issue with that approach is one of each couple's keycards will end up operating the other couple's door instead of their own, right? I could see that as an issue for us if only one of our two keycards could open our door. Would Cunard agree to recode keycards to open different doors than the cabins guests are officially registered in?

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

A potential issue with that approach is one of each couple's keycards will end up operating the other couple's door instead of their own, right? I could see that as an issue for us if only one of our two keycards could open our door. Would Cunard agree to recode keycards to open different doors than the cabins guests are officially registered in?

No, probably not! 

Personal note: We’ve done it both ways, with and without the package. We have just broken even with alcohol, but it’s so much more relaxing not to have to think about it. Also, the bartenders and sommeliers are very accommodating with the package. For example, the package says small pours of wine, but that hasn’t been what’s happened for us and most others, I think. Our next trip is a TA on QM2, and the Godiva drinks will definitely put us over the top. 

All that said, I wouldn’t try to cheat the system. It probably won’t work, and it would be a real pain to have to be sneaky about it, thus losing the relaxation of just drinking what you want.

• Like 2

The staff aren't stupid- they will know who is drinking the drinks!  why not play smarter - you can carry on anything you want -   drinking in your cabin are free - can you meet on each other's balconies for an early evening drink?  If you are drinking wine- drink by the bottle not by the glass. Wine seemed to be totally over the top re price - we ended up drinking cocktails and beer as more cost-effective... The perfect serve gins are my favourite - over the limit for the package but the $13-$14 cost covered me for 1/2 the evening if i got one pre-dinner and took it into the dining room with me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Good point. Probably not.  

5 minutes ago, cruzadict said:

If this is the 5 day cruise them the drinks package is not available for 5 or less night cruises.

I think the OP's 5-night Dutch Christmas Markets cruise just makes it under the wire as the minimum voyage length for the drinks packages. At least the World of Drinks brochure and the Cunard website state "Drinks options are only available on voyages of five nights or more." Has that changed?

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think the OP's 5-night Dutch Christmas Markets cruise just makes it under the wire as the minimum voyage length for the drinks packages. At least the World of Drinks brochure and the Cunard website state "Drinks options are only available on voyages of five nights or more." Has that changed?

Don't know if it has changed but we are on this cruise and I was told that the drinks package wasn't available as it was only 5 nights !!!

13 minutes ago, cruzadict said:

Don't know if it has changed but we are on this cruise and I was told that the drinks package wasn't available as it was only 5 nights !!!

Well, that's interesting. This certainly wouldn't be the first time for Cunard where it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I take it then that the drinks packages aren't available for you to purchase under "Drinks", "Explore", "Add To Basket" within My Cunard for your voyage. Is that correct?

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, cruzadict said:

Oh that is odd - yes, we've been offered it multiple times and it's in our extras to be able to book.  

On 11/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, MaraHornraven said:

Oh that is odd - yes, we've been offered it multiple times and it's in our extras to be able to book.  

Just checked our booking for the December 5-day Christmas Market trip. We are definitely being allowed (some might say “encouraged”) to buy the drinks package for it.

We will not be doing so, however, due to the circumstances of this particular booking. Our travel agent included enough OBC to pay the hotel service charges (a.k.a., gratuities) and have enough left over to pay for a bottle of wine daily…albeit one from the lowest end of the price range. Plus, the TA also included a bottle of wine, probably one of the Cunard private label based on others’ experience, and we will get at least one bottle of sparkling wine (in PG) just for showing up. Seems like we can manage with those inclusions, especially given that for three of the days we are in port.

• Like 1

Hi,

I think it's worthwhile phoning up Cunard and explaining your situation. You are a family group booking 2 cabins, and in each cabin only 1 person drinks.

Ask if it's possible to buy a pair of packages and assign it to the people that drink.

Cunard will still be getting the income from 2 packages, and they might be lenient because you are a family group.

They can only say no.

• Like 2