P&O shuttle buses

Tira04

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Iona's Canaries trip.  Can confirm the Madeira and Lisbon shuttle bus as you indicate.  We did not stop at Lanzarote due to adverse weather.

For our trip to Lisbon we were actually dropped and picked up just outside the Mango shop, as per the map extract below.  Pretty much where that van is shown on the map, just by the traffic lights.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 073517.jpg

Sorry, missed the durations etc.

Madeira was about 8-10 minute journey and with Iona nearly full the shuttles seemed to be about 10 minutes between each.  Seemed to fill and go very quickly, same on return.

Lisbon shuttle varied depending on traffic and time of day and where the bus driver U-turned, but about 15-20 minute journey with a 15 minute frequency during the day easing out to 20 minutes into the evening.

I am off to Hamburg and Zeebrugge in January, but only bargain saver fare.  However, I will get what I can, as we will use the shuttle in Hamburg but not sure yet about Zeebrugge.

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It is just as easy to walk along the river side in Lisbon to the square and the bottom of pedestrianised shopping area. The shuttle bus takes you just as far away at top of the main area.

I think this is good as you can then walk down through the shopping area and turn left back to the ship or go north through the the trees and then return back to the shuttle and to the ship. 

• Like 1

Lisbon it is worth getting the shuttle from the ship, to either use as a starting point to explore the upper parts of the city, or more likely to then walk back down through the town, and eventually back to the ship. It certainly isn't worth making your way back to the shuttle bus for the ride back to the ship.

Madeira it depends how far along the ship is moored along the quay, if it is at the far end then worth it, but if closer then the walk down from the CR7 is quite pleasant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Lisbon it is worth getting the shuttle from the ship, to either use as a starting point to explore the upper parts of the city, or more likely to then walk back down through the town, and eventually back to the ship. It certainly isn't worth making your way back to the shuttle bus for the ride back to the ship.

Madeira it depends how far along the ship is moored along the quay, if it is at the far end then worth it, but if closer then the walk down from the CR7 is quite pleasant. 

It makes little difference in Madeira because they use the same terminal building wherever you berth. In October Iona was as close to the town end of the harbour as it could be, but returning to the ship we still had to walk all the way past her to reach the terminal entrance.

• 1 month later...

Just back from a sneaky little cruise.  On Ventura visit to Hamburg.  We docked at Hamburg Cruise Centre Altona and the shuttle dropped us at Rathaus.  Bus stopped as circled in red on the screengrab was the drop/pick up point.  About 20 minute journey and roughly 20 minute intervals.  There is another terminal the ships may stop at, will probably find out next year when we visit Hamburg on Iona, but I understand drops at same place at Rathaus.  No updated info on Zeebrugge, too windy and didn't stop.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 103349.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-12 103447.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Ta for the gen.  I have now updated my map

Do you know how long it took journey time wise?  Also how much each way?  And do you know if the buses were accessible to wheelchair users.  Ta!

About 20 minutes average trip from what I heard.  We were off early and in the centre before any traffic had built up and only took 10 minutes.  There was a partial road closure for a building demolition that was causing delays for the later buses going into Hamburg, won't be an issue in the future.

Cost was £4 each, each way with a maximum of £8 for the day each if you wanted multiple trips. 

Not sure about accessible buses, we were on standard passenger coaches.

On an Azura Tenerife to Malta transfer in March, will be making use of any shuttles so expect some more to follow.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

I am visiting Hamburg on Iona next month and don't fancy any of the excursions so nice to know that a shuttle will be provided. For 8.5 euros you can get a one day travel pass for the busses, S-Bahn and the ferries which might be a better bet. A problem might be that it appears that Iona will only fit in the Steinwarder berth south of the river. There is a ferry stop less than a mile away though?

10 hours ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

Lanzorote is a a flat and very short journey. 

Indeed.  Bang for your buck, or ride for your pound this was by far and away the worst I've had.  And I'm someone who loves a shuttle bus.  Not helped by roadworks.  We Went the length of a ship, maybe two.

20 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

About 20 minutes average trip from what I heard.  We were off early and in the centre before any traffic had built up and only took 10 minutes.  There was a partial road closure for a building demolition that was causing delays for the later buses going into Hamburg, won't be an issue in the future.

Cost was £4 each, each way with a maximum of £8 for the day each if you wanted multiple trips. 

Not sure about accessible buses, we were on standard passenger coaches.

On an Azura Tenerife to Malta transfer in March, will be making use of any shuttles so expect some more to follow.

Ta chuck.  Map updated with the new gen.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Back from another cruise, and a bit more info for you.

Lanzarote still dropping at the same point, other info still applies.  Another ship berthed elsewhere also dropped at the same point.

Funchal, Madeira still the same.

Valencia, berthed a long way from the city centre.  We were on the second shuttle early in the morning and due to distance and shear number of red traffic lights took 45 minutes, and I believe it never really improved on that as the city got busier.  Journey back was quicker, more direct route and lots of green lights about 25 minutes.  About 20 minutes between, but seemed to go when full or next shuttle arrived. £4 adult/£2 child each way for non select passengers. 

P&O were slightly naughty on this port as they stated over loudspeaker around the ship that the only way to leave the port due to being a working port was with the P&O shuttle.  Turns out if you walk past the row of P&O buses, there is a free port shuttle bus (yellow) that took you to a point outside the port.  No idea where it dropped though, as we were select anyway and took the main shuttle.  Worth enquiring if anyone is thinking of this.

Palma, Majorca.  Again, a long way out of the centre.  Shuttle about every 20 minutes, and took about 15 minutes due to reduced speed limit due to roadworks.  A bit pricier too, £5 adult/£3 child each way for non select passengers. 

I have added a blue balloon and a yellow highlight of where Azura berthed and the coach drop off was for Valencia and Palma.

Valencia port.jpg

Valencia drop off.jpg

Palma Mallorca port.jpg

Palma Mallorca drop off.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Valencia info, i was researching this morning. The Palma drop of is OK but I notice that the berth is the farthest away across the harbour. The terminus of the No 1 bus is nearby and the other terminus is at the airport. Might be cheaper. I have outlined it in red

BUS 1.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Back from another cruise, and a bit more info for you.

Lanzarote still dropping at the same point, other info still applies.  Another ship berthed elsewhere also dropped at the same point.

Funchal, Madeira still the same.

Valencia, berthed a long way from the city centre.  We were on the second shuttle early in the morning and due to distance and shear number of red traffic lights took 45 minutes, and I believe it never really improved on that as the city got busier.  Journey back was quicker, more direct route and lots of green lights about 25 minutes.  About 20 minutes between, but seemed to go when full or next shuttle arrived. £4 adult/£2 child each way for non select passengers. 

P&O were slightly naughty on this port as they stated over loudspeaker around the ship that the only way to leave the port due to being a working port was with the P&O shuttle.  Turns out if you walk past the row of P&O buses, there is a free port shuttle bus (yellow) that took you to a point outside the port.  No idea where it dropped though, as we were select anyway and took the main shuttle.  Worth enquiring if anyone is thinking of this.

Palma, Majorca.  Again, a long way out of the centre.  Shuttle about every 20 minutes, and took about 15 minutes due to reduced speed limit due to roadworks.  A bit pricier too, £5 adult/£3 child each way for non select passengers. 

I have added a blue balloon and a yellow highlight of where Azura berthed and the coach drop off was for Valencia and Palma.

Valencia port.jpg

Valencia drop off.jpg

Palma Mallorca port.jpg

Palma Mallorca drop off.jpg

Valencia. Yellow bus takes you to port gates. From there you can walk to the sea front (very nice) but to city centre it's a long way. Depends on where you want to go.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, jaydee6969 said:

Just back from a sneaky little cruise.  On Ventura visit to Hamburg.  We docked at Hamburg Cruise Centre Altona and the shuttle dropped us at Rathaus.  Bus stopped as circled in red on the screengrab was the drop/pick up point.  About 20 minute journey and roughly 20 minute intervals.  There is another terminal the ships may stop at, will probably find out next year when we visit Hamburg on Iona, but I understand drops at same place at Rathaus.  No updated info on Zeebrugge, too windy and didn't stop.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 103349.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-12 103447.jpg

I was surprised to see that Ventura was docked at Altona, we are due on Arcadia in June and according to the Port of Hamburg website, we are booked into Steinwerder and nothing in Altona that day, but another smaller ship in steinwerder   https://www.hafen-hamburg.de/en/vessels/arcadia-1810/  

Perhaps there were bigger ships in Steinwerder when Ventura was there, possibly on turn around.  Must say though I prefer Altona, which is where we have with Fred.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Valencia. Yellow bus takes you to port gates. From there you can walk to the sea front (very nice) but to city centre it's a long way. Depends on where you want to go.

How far is the walk to the sea front from the port gate? I will be with my mother who is in her eighties so I’m trying to judge if it is something she can cope with. Although we are a select booking and so would get the shuttle into the city for free we do prefer sea front as opposed to city landscape so the yellow bus to the port gate maybe the better option for us.

23 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

How far is the walk to the sea front from the port gate? I will be with my mother who is in her eighties so I’m trying to judge if it is something she can cope with. Although we are a select booking and so would get the shuttle into the city for free we do prefer sea front as opposed to city landscape so the yellow bus to the port gate maybe the better option for us.

A new cruise terminal is starting construction next year. Meanwhile this is from the Valencia port site

Current Cruise Ship Docks
The port has two areas for cruise ships operations and service.

The docks adjacent to the TRASMED passenger terminal for vessels of less than 300m in length and the docks located in the northern extension of the port for vessels of more than 300m in length, which have all the necessary services for passenger services and offer all the security that the new normality imposes due to the COVID – 19 pandemic.

The TRASMED terminal is located at the north entrance of the port, the closest to the city and in a free access area. The quays of the northern extension are only accessible when cruise ships are in port.

You can access buses and taxis from the TRASMED terminal and walk as well. It is about a mile to the beach from there