Storm Damage to Belize will close it as a destination for awhile, what port should cruise lines pivot to?

Bill Miller

20 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

I wish all the best for the people of Belize, and that they can recover fairly quickly. Missing a port, while disappointing is a "first world problem". 

Will have to keep an eye on things for our cruise that departs Nov. 12th. We're supposed to be in Belize on Nov. 15th. Wonder where they'll reroute us since Costa Maya & Cozumel are already on our itinerary.

We’re on the same cruise and have the same question!

On 11/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, Bill Miller said:

Unfortunate change, but a good move for health safety.

port change.png

Sounds like Celebrity is making the right decision.    That's where we were diverted when the Cancelled Costa Rica due to a RCL tour being hijacked and an 80 y.o. marine on the tour jumped the guy and broke his neck.   We were due the next day and the Captain thought it best to cancel our stop there.

• Haha 1

It's hard to predict what they may do if they can't stop there.  You may not even find out before boarding - it all depends on timing and what alternatives they have.  We were on the 12 night Summit to New England/Canada when the hurricanes were hitting.  We had three ports cancelled, one extra sea day added, and two port calls extended to overnights.  We did not find out any of these changes until we were onboard, during the cruise (and at two different days).  Granted, our situation was developing as we sailed (lucky us) whereas this may be a little more predictable.  But there will be multiple cruise lines adjust itineraries if needed so that complicates things.  But as was said, first world problems for sure.  We made the best of it and felt bad for the areas impacted.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, thebutlerdidit said:

I had previously posted a screen capture of the menu items that were offered at an upcharge from the Suite Room Service menu on the app. Now when I look I no longer see prices listed. Do you think these charges are gone for good? I know I wasn’t a fan of those upcharges for suites.  

On 11/3/2022 at 9:19 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

These items and prices are from the room service menu for suites. We haven't ordered lunch from room service so don't know if they apply to Royal or penthouse suites.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, DaKahuna said:

I just checked for our April cruise on Millennium as well and I am not showing any up charges. for any non-alcoholic beverages, on the Suite Room Service menu. 

I also looked at our November 2024 Millennium sailing and not showing charges for those items on the Suite Room Service menu either. 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sounds like Celebrity is making the right decision.    That's where we were diverted when the Cancelled Costa Rica due to a RCL tour being hijacked and an 80 y.o. marine on the tour jumped the guy and broke his neck.   We were due the next day and the Captain thought it best to cancel our stop there.

Are you talking about the 2007 incident in Costa Rica?  If you are, the tourists were off the Carnival ship (the Legend).  It prove the old saying "once a marine, always a marine".  Semper fi!!

4 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

We’re on the same cruise and have the same question!

I just saw in the news today there's some type of tropical storm that will be hitting between Miami & Orlando this week. They're calling for 40% chance of rain on Fri. Will need to keep an eye on this one as well. Oh well, the joys of cruising in Nov. 🤪

2 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Are you talking about the 2007 incident in Costa Rica?  If you are, the tourists were off the Carnival ship (the Legend).  It prove the old saying "once a marine, always a marine".  Semper fi!!

Yes that was the cruise.   We were due in the next day and the Captain was afraid their might be some retaliation from the gang.

Incredible that at his age that he jumped into action like a 21 y.o.    Makes you proud of our marines.

I had finally talked Iain into doing a Zip Line.   When the captain came over the PA -  he said -   There is a God.   Never have been able to talk him into it again.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11/9...I checked marinetraffic today and Royal Caribbean's Serenade Of The Seas has been anchored off of Belize City all day. Dont know if any passengers are being tendered into Belize City, guessing that Royal wouldnt anchor there if Belize was closed. 

Edited by ametman