6.5 hr Chilkoot Charters Yukon Bus Tour

EmilyJay

This is our first trip to Alaska and we were recommended this bus tour via CC. We love the idea of it, however, a little concerned that it's 6.5hrs long it would leave at 8.30am to return roughly around 3-3.30pm. Our set sail time is 5pm, all aboard I assume will be 4.30pm. 

Has anyone done this tour before and time wise was it accurate? How long are stops at the museums, photo stops, lunch etc? 

It's either this tour or one via the cruise line which is half the time, the same cost and you see alot less. 

Thanks for any help. 

We did this tour earlier this year with Southeast Tours. The bus tours are pretty much the same across all the providers. I highly recommend it. The scenery on the US side is great, but the scenery in BC and the Yukon is even better.

We took the Skagway city shuttle into town to the tour's meeting place, Yukon Heath's Popcorn Emporium (yes, the tour company and the popcorn store are under the same umbrella). We were the first ship in town, and the town looked DEAD at 8:00 am. We got out of town around 8:30 or so, made several stops, and had lunch at Caribou Crossing trading post. Our group had both people that paid for the dogsled rides and people that didn't. We made some more stops on the way back, and made it back to town around 3:30 pm. Our driver was supposed to take us back to the popcorn place, but he took us to the dock instead, since most of us were leaving at the same time and we were running a little behind their schedule.

We didn't walk around downtown Skagway. The driver did show us things in town on the way in and out. Our driver lives there year-round, and was very knowledgeable.

As long as you get back around 3:30, you should be fine.

Edited by johnintx

10 hours ago, johnintx said:

We did this tour earlier this year with Southeast Tours. The bus tours are pretty much the same across all the providers. I highly recommend it. The scenery on the US side is great, but the scenery in BC and the Yukon is even better.

We took the Skagway city shuttle into town to the tour's meeting place, Yukon Heath's Popcorn Emporium (yes, the tour company and the popcorn store are under the same umbrella). We were the first ship in town, and the town looked DEAD at 8:00 am. We got out of town around 8:30 or so, made several stops, and had lunch at Caribou Crossing trading post. Our group had both people that paid for the dogsled rides and people that didn't. We made some more stops on the way back, and made it back to town around 3:30 pm. Our driver was supposed to take us back to the popcorn place, but he took us to the dock instead, since most of us were leaving at the same time and we were running a little behind their schedule.

We didn't walk around downtown Skagway. The driver did show us things in town on the way in and out. Our driver lives there year-round, and was very knowledgeable.

As long as you get back around 3:30, you should be fine.

Thanks for this great information. I will have a look at Southeast tours too, sounds like you had a wonderful time. 

• Like 1

I did the 6.5 hour bus tour with Chilkoot Charters in May and did the bus / train combo with them in 2018 and highly recommend it. The scenery is amazing, smaller bus (12-14 people) that can stop for photos where larger buses can’t, good commentary about the area & history, etc. The stop for lunch was about an hour and included admission to the museum and time to play with the husky puppies. No worries in making it back to the ship on time since they have been doing this tour for years and depend on getting passengers back with time to spare.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, janice2348 said:

There’s a shorter 3.75 bus/train tour with Chilkoot. This is the one we will most likely be taking:

https://chilkootcharters.com/white-pass-summit-rail-bus-2/

That's the one we did in 2018. Our mini-bus met us at the pier at 12:30 and we were back in time for a drink at the brewery and to wander the town a bit before our dinner reservations aboard ship (6:30). We could have spent more time wandering the town as the ship didn't leave until 8:30pm, but I was with my elderly parents and they were done.

It was a great tour. I'm looking at booking the same for next August when hubby and I are going.

• Like 1

I have done this a couple of times including just in June. They do a good job with lots of stops for photos. The small bus makes stops easier. I like to rent a car but prices fir that have gone crazy, our tour in June stopped almost everywhere I would have pulled over if I had a car. Very good tour

• Like 1

I’ve done the tour with Chilkoot several times and loved them all. It definitely is great for a first time cruiser to Skagway because they point out the sights and makes plenty of stops. This time we will be renting a car but last year it was just my grandson and I and I wanted to look around which I couldn’t do while driving.

65D38B3D-3796-4465-83C0-1A5EAC1DA62D.jpeg

FE57B0A2-4AA5-4E13-8CA1-E1AC1DBBE6FC.jpeg

6DFA10B8-9183-4335-A5B1-A47E1228927A.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies.

We went ahead and booked the 6.5hr tour, by far the best price we've found for what it offers, great TripAdvisor reviews and wonderful communication by the company. 

We e-mailed them before booking and the tour would usually go at 9.30am but they have put the 8.30am tour on to accommodate those ships leaving at 5pm on this specific day. 

If anyone else is interested or has questions don't hesitate to e-mail Chilkoot, they are quick to respond. 

• 1 year later...
  •  My husband and I will be in Skagway on July 4th. 1st time in AK.  Tryring to decide besides the 6.5 hr Chilkoot tour or renting a car?  Renting a car would be cheaper, but am trying not to base my decision  just on price-  I Would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks 

10 hours ago, Parissa said:
  •  My husband and I will be in Skagway on July 4th. 1st time in AK.  Tryring to decide besides the 6.5 hr Chilkoot tour or renting a car?  Renting a car would be cheaper, but am trying not to base my decision  just on price-  I Would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks 

Go with Chilkoot, they are amazing. Much easier, they stop everywhere you would want to stop. We will be there in July as well and taking them for a second time - the Lake Bennett scenic tour. Amazing customer service, smaller groups, lots of fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Parissa said:

As the person who would be driving if I rented a car.  I would miss out on many sights because I was focused on driving.   So I would not want to drive.   I will be there in June and doing the 8 hour Train/Bus tour.   I get to focus on enjoying the sights.  No on what is in front of me on the highway.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, EmilyJay said:

Thank you all for the replies.

We went ahead and booked the 6.5hr tour, by far the best price we've found for what it offers, great TripAdvisor reviews and wonderful communication by the company. 

We e-mailed them before booking and the tour would usually go at 9.30am but they have put the 8.30am tour on to accommodate those ships leaving at 5pm on this specific day. 

If anyone else is interested or has questions don't hesitate to e-mail Chilkoot, they are quick to respond. 

I did this tour last year and it was great!

I have also driven previously and it is fun also - though I had already been up in the area previously.

On 1/28/2024 at 8:57 PM, Parissa said:

I have done both and both are good. It it an easy drive and the guides out there are great. You can't go wrong.

On 1/28/2024 at 9:57 PM, Parissa said:

I was happy to have a local driving who knew the road. We hit a section of nasty fog and I felt more comfortable having a driver who knew those hills like the back of their hand at the wheel. They know where the nasty blind spots are but also let you know ahead for beautiful scenery.