Honolulu Safety?

mooline

Hi all,

We're on POA next June, a multi-generational family of 6, ages 70 to 6. The kids (2 of them) are first time cruisers.

We plan to arrive on Thursday for the Saturday evening departure, and thought we'd just enjoy many of the sights in Honolulu. However:

A friend who lived in Hawaii, and has visited recently, said Honolulu is not a good choice, due to crime at night and throngs of tourists by day. She suggests staying on the north shore and heading back on Saturday for the cruise.

I'd love to hear from any of you who've recently experienced Honolulu, especially with kiddos.

Thanks!

No disrespect, but your friend is nuts.

Stay in Waikiki and don't worry.

I was raised in Honolulu, visit 5-6 times a year on business, go on vacation there every year for a couple of events, and just returned from a cruise there,

Tell us how many hotels rooms you need and what your nightly budget is and we can suggest hotels.

There is ZERO chance I'd go to the North Shore for two nights.

If I was a big Disney fan, I might look at Aulani.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

No disrespect, but your friend is nuts.

Stay in Waikiki and don't worry.

Totally agree. The OPs friend isn't painting an accurate picture. Honolulu is a mediumish sized city, and as such you should always be aware of your surroundings like in any big city, but Waikiki is extremely safe. 

Tons of options for kids in Waikiki for dining and family friendly hotels with nice pools and access to the beach. 

• Like 3

Thank you both! This makes me feel much better. No disrespect taken at all, my friend is apparently just ultra cautious. The adults in this group grew up in big cities (Boston and NYC), so we understand the need to always be aware of your surroundings, especially in tourist areas.

I've already booked Embassy Suites (Oceanview suites using points to offset some of the cost). If there's a better choice for us, please let me know. The important thing for this group is that the adults have separate bedrooms from the kiddos, so we thought ES made sense. We have a 2 br suite for the mom, dad and 2 sisters, and a 1 br suite for the grandparents. 

If there's an option that allows the 6 of us to be together in one place, with at least 3 and preferably 4 bedrooms, I'm all ears. Or, if the area that ES is in is really trashy, we can easily change hotels.

Thanks!

Edited by mooline

Check out waikikibeachrentals.com (condos) Ilikai Resort.  We are going in May and I am considering this place.  They have 3 bedroom condos.  Their fees are competitive with 2 hotel rooms, especially since we have the common area and kitchen for breakfast and snacks.

• Like 1

Thanks, georgiacat; I did look but only see 2 bedroom units, even when looking at specific unit #s that are listed as 3 br. You're right, though, the prices are actually much better than the ES.  Maybe I'll contact them directly by email and see what they say.

A family member did an AirBnB a few years ago; I'm wary of those for a trip like this, though. We won't have a car, so purchasing our own consumables might be a logistical issue, and take time away from fun things.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:54 PM, mooline said:

If there's an option that allows the 6 of us to be together in one place, with at least 3 and preferably 4 bedrooms, I'm all ears. Or, if the area that ES is in is really trashy, we can easily change hotels.

For the very short time you have, the Embassy Suites is probably the best choice.

For giggles, check the Suites at the Trump Waikiki. They can accommodate 6 and are very nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I spent 20 years in Honolulu and go back annually for 4 weeks each year.  Totally agree with scottca075 except I wouldn't look to spend 2 days at Aulani.  Yes, it's a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location (and okay, I would go there before I spent 2 days on the north shore) but it's a 45-minute drive with no traffic and a 90-minute+ drive during the extended rush hours to Ko'Olina on the West shore.

• Like 1