Ferry to Taronga zoo in Sydney

Peteymil

Our ship will be in Sydney on Monday and I would like to buy a combination Ferry ticket and zoo tickets. For some reason none of the ferry companies seem to be operating on Mondays or Tuesdays. Would I be able to take an Uber to the zoo or does someone have another idea? The ship has an excursion but it is really overpriced of course.

Assuming you arriving at Circular Quay, I'd just take a regular ferry to the zoo. Just tap on and off with your credit  card.

Re entry to the zoo, I'm not sure if pre purchasing tickets is still necessary but have a look on the website.

Another tip, if you have time after the zoo, walk from Taronga wharf to Bradley's Head to get your million dollar tourist photos 

2 hours ago, grozzy1 said:

Assuming you arriving at Circular Quay, I'd just take a regular ferry to the zoo. Just tap on and off with your credit  card.

Re entry to the zoo, I'm not sure if pre purchasing tickets is still necessary but have a look on the website.

Another tip, if you have time after the zoo, walk from Taronga wharf to Bradley's Head to get your million dollar tourist photos 

Thank you. That is what I was asking, I didn't know if there was just a regular ferry that would go over to the zoo. Every time I looked it up I just came up with ferries that don't go on Monday and Tuesday. I didn't know there was just a regular That goes all the time. Does it run on a regular schedule?

Edited by Peteymil
Left off

The government ferries run from circular quay roughly every 30 minutes usually from wharf 4.

There are other private operators like Captain Cook and Manly fast ferries who visit Taronga but they're less regular and not direct.

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

Thank you. That is what I was asking, I didn't know if there was just a regular ferry that would go over to the zoo. Every time I looked it up I just came up with ferries that don't go on Monday and Tuesday. I didn't know there was just a regular That goes all the time. Does it run on a regular schedule?

Here is the timetable for the F2 ferry which goes from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo.Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo Ferry Timetable

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grozzy1 said:

The government ferries run from circular quay roughly every 30 minutes usually from wharf 4.

There are other private operators like Captain Cook and Manly fast ferries who visit Taronga but they're less regular and not direct.

Thank you for that information. For some reason the captain Cook and Manley fast ferries don't run on Mondays and Tuesdays so I'll stick with the government ferries. 

On 11/5/2022 at 11:58 PM, Peteymil said:

Thank you for that information. For some reason the captain Cook and Manley fast ferries don't run on Mondays and Tuesdays so I'll stick with the government ferries. 

They are private ferries.  Government ferries run 7 days a week.  If you have spare time you can catch the public bus from the zoo to Balmoral Beach for fish and chips on the beach.  You can return by bus to ferry to city, or catch a bus direct in to the City,  There is a beautiful walk (6.5 klm)  from the ferry to Balmoral Beach with spectacular views of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.

31 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

Thank you. Looked at the videos and now know I can use myI Visa card. Can my husband and I use the same Visa card to tap on and tap off?

Do you have separate cards? I can't see how it would work for two people to use the same card to tap on and off as when the second person taps on, would the card reader think the first person is tapping off? If you are just going to use the ferry to go to Taronga Zoo, perhaps buying single Opal tickets at the ferry pier might be an alternative for you if you don't have two Visa cards. 

Opal SingleTickets

7 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Thank you. Looked at the videos and now know I can use myI Visa card. Can my husband and I use the same Visa card to tap on and tap off?

The Opal system is one card per person - whether a VISA, or a preloaded Opal card per person. (Otherwise, it couldn't tell if you're tapping on a second person, or reversing an accidental tap!)

Remember to tap on AND off (except at some Ferry wharfs like Manly, where you don't have to tap off). This ensures you get the correct pricing - forgetting to tap off will charge the 'default' maximum fare.