Totally P&O'd

arbhorseal

Have just discovered our cabin for our Christmas cruise on Iona. Its 10737. Or to put it another way about as far back on the ship as it is possible to go.

So really looking forward to being bounced around and being subjected to plenty of manoeuvring noise.

Certainly, disappointing but hey. Still on the ship!

I then discover if I booked today. I could get a better cabin for £650 less than I have already paid!

So I rang P&O. Explained the situation. Told them we were on our second P&O cruise in 7 months and our total spend with them in this period was likely to be close to £10,000. Explained we were on our seventh carnival cruise.

P&O’s answer to this was to suggest I pay for a cabin upgrade (when they are still selling these cabins for £650 less than I have already paid!).

Other than that it was just a case of P&O saying….............…unlucky.

Last ever P&O cruise for us………………….

Edited by arbhorseal
error

I assume you booked a saver fare? In which case this is the risk you accept on booking. If you refuse it is regarded as you cancelling the cruise.  I am afraid loyalty cuts so ice and sailing with other Carnival brands doesn't count at all.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

Have just discovered our cabin for our Christmas cruise on Iona. Its 10737. Or to put it another way about as far back on the ship as it is possible to go.

So really looking forward to being bounced around and being subjected to plenty of manoeuvring noise.

Certainly, disappointing but hey. Still on the ship!

I then discover if I booked today. I could get a better cabin for £650 less than I have already paid!

So I rang P&O. Explained the situation. Told them we were on our second P&O cruise in 7 months and our total spend with them in this period was likely to be close to £10,000. Explained we were on our seventh carnival cruise.

P&O’s answer to this was to suggest I pay for a cabin upgrade (when they are still selling these cabins for £650 less than I have already paid!).

Other than that it was just a case of P&O saying….............…unlucky.

Last ever P&O cruise for us………………….

Actually, 10737 isn’t a bad place to be at all. Aft is the place we always go for, admittedly by choosing specific locations, but if I’d taken pot luck as you did I’d be pleased with the outcome.

Not a lot of bouncing around, a pretty quiet location, and not perhaps as bad as you imagine.

You certainly can’t blame P&O for this though. You chose not to select a cabin.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

Let me spell it out then......................

As I said "hey, still on the ship".

Its the being ripped off I object to. 

Common thing on cruises, wait for last minute deals on your future chosen cruise line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

Let me spell it out then......................

As I said "hey, still on the ship".

Its the being ripped off I object to. 

Care to explain why you feel you’ve been ripped off, when you chose to allow P&O to select your cabin and they selected your cabin?

• Like 10

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Care to explain why you feel you’ve been ripped off, when you chose to allow P&O to select your cabin and they selected your cabin?

Because P&O are selling better cabins for £650 less than I have already paid. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

Hope you are not on the same cruise.......................

If I was on the same cruise I would tell you what cabin I had got, as I use a thing called 

Select fare and choose my cabin. But I'm not .

What sort of person books a cheapo saver fare and then moans they cannot choose a cabin ??

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Just now, kalos said:

If I was on the same cruise I would tell you what cabin I had got, as I use a thing called 

Select fare and choose my cabin. But I'm not .

What sort of person books a cheapo saver fare and then moans they cannot choose a cabin ??

Oh dear.........try reading the post......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

But having done the number of cruises you have, you must know this happens.  Various things can happen between a cruise going on sale and it sailing: prices go up, prices go down, the ship is full.  Everyone has to make a judgement about balancing these risks/benefits and decide when to book.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, arbhorseal said:

I read the post. You booked saver and P&O selected your cabin. Now it's getting nearer to the cruise they are flogging the leftover cabins cheaper. What is the issue?.🤔

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

I think perhaps your main point, which some of us might well agree with, is that P&O have substantial reduced prices because they use dynamic pricing, like most of the travel trade.

The subsidiary point about not being able to choose a cabin when not booking Select seems to have clouded the issue.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 5

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

I think perhaps your main point, which most of us might well agree with, is that P&O have substantial reduced prices because they use dynamic pricing, like most of the travel trade.

The subsidiary point about not being able to choose a cabin when not booking Select seems to have clouded the issue.

Thank you.....................

4 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

So why bother commenting then?...........

Trying to understand why you feel miffed about not booking a specific cabin as SELECT do 

and then getting upset that your cabin is not to your liking . That was the risk you took .

Reading Harrys post if your beef is the price has gone down ,then I sympathise but that is a gamble we all take . Another reason to use select as you could have moved the cruise once .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, arbhorseal said:

If you buy a pair of jeans for £50, only to find them on sale for half price the following week, would you expect the shop to refund you the difference?

• Like 4

Just now, gumshoe958 said:

If you buy a pair of jeans for £50, only to find them on sale for half price the following week, would you expect the shop to refund you the difference?

It just means I will never buy jeans from there again.  Would you?

We always book an aft cabin as we love the location - it will be quiet, and we've never found that it has been too choppy or noisy. 

I suppose you always take a chance when you book saver and whenever you book you may find that someone gets a better deal than you. We once did a land holiday and had booked 18 months in advance. Got to the hotel and the balcony / room location was terrible so we asked to be moved. Got moved but still not brilliant. Met a couple in what would have been our ideal location .... they had booked for half the price 2 weeks before the holiday. Felt brassed off, but looking back I suppose its the way things go.

Hope you manage to have a great cruise and you find that aft cabins really are not that bad.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 5