Medipac Insurance?

Shipswap

There are a lot of variables when purchasing travel insurance, so what might be a better option for one person may be less favourable for you. I think that the best course of action, albeit possibly time consuming, is to reach out to a number of companies to get a quotation based on your personal preferences, medical history and other factors. You might also want to look at a website like Insure My Trip ( https://www.insuremytrip.ca ) to get a number of quotations online to compare.

• Thanks 1

I agree with above.  You must get quotes from multiple to understand their restrictions and coverage.

I am healthy and stable now, but about 2 years ago I was looking for travel cancellation insurance and had recently been through a medical procedure.  Because I am over 60 most of the web sites automatically send you to a medical questionnaire.  When I answered truthfully all the questions, I was then told that they either would not cover me, or I would have to contact the underwriter for a quote.  I was NOT looking for medical coverage as I have excellent medical through my work.  I was just looking for cancellation / trip interruption insurance.  

Medipac required me to do a long questionnaire and postal mail it to them.  I got a decline from them (in postal mail) about 4 weeks later.  They considered my situation too risky - I guess.

I talked with underwriters at Manulife and CAA and my best rate and coverage was with CAA.  Both of these companies would handle all the questions over the phone and would offer me insurance.

Each insurance company has a different definition of the "Stable Period" some are 3 months and some are 6 months.  Stability includes new medication, change of medication, and stopping medication.  You have to be careful with the definitions.

Insurance companies build their policies to not pay out if they don't have to, and so be very careful on the medical side that you understand the questions you are answering and the implication they have.

You may have a very simple requirement and not have to worry about all of this.

• Thanks 1

I just turned 65 and with absolutely NO changes in my health, my premiums doubled. I did a lot of comparison pricing, read reviews & poured through lots of pages of fine print. I settled on Manulife as theirs was the only policy that specifically mentioned Covid. All prices were within about 10%. 
Some companies flatly said Covid was not covered & others shrugged & said words like “why wouldn’t it be” or “l would think so”. 
I went with the policy that specifically states they cover all costs should we cancel before due to a positive Covid test & would cover expenses should we contract Covid while on board.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

We are fortunate to be federal government retirees so are insured annually with Medoc. Good prices , covers covid and cancellation /interruption. 

We've been very happy with Medoc. In addition to two major claims resulting from medical issues while travelling abroad, they also covered a smaller claim for a cancelled trip to Montreal. The interprovincial coverage is a nice bonus.