Which CARNIVAL excursion do you rec at Yucatan (Progresso)?

Eli_6

I am asking about Carnival specific excursions.  I have been to Cozumel many times, but this will be our first time to cruise to Progresso.  Does anyone have a CCL excursion they recommend?  The ones that looked interesting to me were:

1.  Blue Hole, Cenotes & Swim Adventure - ($85 per person) 4.3 stars on CCL website

2. Chichen Itza, Cenote Swim & Buffet ($125 per person)  - 4.7 stars on CCL website

3. Lazy River Tubing, Cavern Swim, and Mayapan Ruins ($115 per person) - 4.8 stars 

4. Snorkel Underground Caverns & Shaman Ceremony  ($89) - 4.4 stars

All appear to include lunch.  All are anywhere from 6 to 7.5 hours.  Has anyone ever done any of these and would recommend them or not?  Which would you pick?  It will just be my husband and I.  No kids.  We are both in our 40s.  The main thing I want to do is swim in cenotes or caverns.    

I guess I'm not a history buff. Chichen its bored me to tears and the heat killed my enthusiasm.  I spe t most of the excursion in the bar having the hugest margarita I could order and ordered chips and dips. There is no modern toilet there. Our bus stopped at a tourist place to go to the bathroom. All the japanese tourists had umbrellas for the heat. You can swim there. I just dont tolerate heat well. 

I'd do caverns or something cooler or see the flamingos and stuff like that if I go back. Or go in jan. You dont say when you are going. It's a excursion  for winter only imo.

• Like 1

We did Chichen Itza and loved it.  It's a long bus ride through the jungle to get there, but you do pass (two if I remember correctly) a couple villages and the bus slows down to let a local person board and sell stuff.  The village alone is culture shock/education.  Obviously no electricity, running water etc.  Some women still walking around topless.  Chichen Itza, I agree with firefly - if you don't like learning about history and cultural evolution it might not be exciting.  I was THRILLED.

(edit: just as I saved this I remembered, we actually did Chichen Itza from Cancun, not Progreso, sorry)

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 1

We did the Chichen Itza and cenote swim in August. It was a great excursion and I would recommend it especially if you don't have kids. It is a long bus ride(1.5-2 hours) each way. The ruins were very crowded but an experience to see.(Progresso is not the greatest port). The cenote was 15 or 20 minutes but the food was good, and the scenery was beautiful. It too was crowded and more touristy and not really a nature experience. We had a great time and thought it was worth the money. 

• Like 2

Back in 2019, we did an AI, a Carnival excursion, and we loved it. We almost took the Merida tour, then  Chichen Itza, but decided the tour bus to both places took up most of the day. This is a very nice place we stayed at. Here are a few pics:

Never mind. Somehow they all got turned upside down. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

Years ago we did an excursion that was a scenic bike ride to a cenote, then lunch, then rode bikes back. It was quite a long bus ride there but it was a fun and doable excursion for us as we were in our late 50s and hadn't rode bikes since we were kids lol. The cenote was cool but had many, many narrow, slippery steps to get down there.  Not sure if it's still offered since it's not on your list.

• Like 1

I recommend the Chichen Itza, Cenote & Buffet.  I did a similar independent tour and loved it. Chichen Itza is amazing to see with lots of history given of the site, activities and lifestyle. The Cenote is very good as well. It’s a long day, but worth it.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Years ago we did an excursion that was a scenic bike ride to a cenote, then lunch, then rode bikes back. It was quite a long bus ride there but it was a fun and doable excursion for us as we were in our late 50s and hadn't rode bikes since we were kids lol. The cenote was cool but had many, many narrow, slippery steps to get down there.  Not sure if it's still offered since it's not on your list.

Screenshot_20221105-160015~2.png

Screenshot_20221105-160122~2.png

Screenshot_20221105-160610~3.png

Screenshot_20221105-160101.png

Screenshot_20221105-160037~2.png

• Like 3

I have been to Chichen Itza multiple times. It is an amazing archaeological site to visit, and is listed as one of the seven (new) wonders of the world.  However, many of the structures are now somewhat off limits to tourists (no more climbing the main temple (El Castillo), and inner tours are by reservation), much of the jungle has been cleared away for tourist paths, etc., but it is still a great place to visit to learn more about the ancient Maya civilization and their astronomical expertise. There is a lot to see.

The tour will be hot,  and involve a bit of walking, so hopefully the cenote swim is afterwards.  Usually there are steps walking down or for the more adventurous, you can jump or rappel.  I do wear water wings, because I am a bit nervous in cenotes.  The water was cool and refreshing.

River tubing and Mayapan is a similar tour, although the site is not as large. Snorkeling and cavern swim is more or less the same as the cenote.  My DH has gone cave scuba diving there, and they traveled underwater for a bit of a distance under the limestone surface.

The other two tours are mainly just swimming, so if you do not wish to tour an ancient Maya site, you may find those more to your preference.  When I travel to Mexico, my priority is to always visit archaeological sites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

It is offered, but I am terrible on a bike.  I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was an adult and am still not very good at it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am asking about Carnival specific excursions.  I have been to Cozumel many times, but this will be our first time to cruise to Progresso.  Does anyone have a CCL excursion they recommend?  The ones that looked interesting to me were:

1.  Blue Hole, Cenotes & Swim Adventure - ($85 per person) 4.3 stars on CCL website

2. Chichen Itza, Cenote Swim & Buffet ($125 per person)  - 4.7 stars on CCL website

3. Lazy River Tubing, Cavern Swim, and Mayapan Ruins ($115 per person) - 4.8 stars 

4. Snorkel Underground Caverns & Shaman Ceremony  ($89) - 4.4 stars

All appear to include lunch.  All are anywhere from 6 to 7.5 hours.  Has anyone ever done any of these and would recommend them or not?  Which would you pick?  It will just be my husband and I.  No kids.  We are both in our 40s.  The main thing I want to do is swim in cenotes or caverns.    

Youtube Parodeejay they were just there and their excursion looked good and was offered by the ship

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Chichen Itza or go see Meridia. Check out the auto progreso tours for better prices. That’s the company that shuttles you to and from the cruise port so they will make sure you make the shuttle.

https://www.autoprogreso.com/en/#tours

I agree. Chichen Itza or Meridia. If I ever decide to book a cruise that stops in Progresso, we will definitely do one of these two. Probably Chichen Itza. 

• Like 1