When and how is boarding time assigned?

ann1bell

We live across the street from the B Street Pier in San Diego and have an unobstructed view of the entrance. The last two sailings of the Konningsdam, including yesterday’s, had very large crowds lined up outside the terminal until 1:30 or so. The folks stated to assemble at the pier entrance around 9:30, but the pier doesn’t open until 10:30.

There is a thread on West Coast Departures started by someone who works at the pier. She indicated that the boarding times listed on your boarding pass are being enforced.

You may want to read that thread for further information in order to prevent standing outside the terminal for a long period of time. 

Also, for the past two weeks the Konningsdam didn’t depart the pier until approximately 18:00.

Here is the thread with info on San Diego Port.

We’re from Texas and here on a work assignment. Although we’ve sailed from many US ports, and ports around the world, we’ve never sailed from a California port.

When I saw the crowds of people waiting outside the terminal for what seemed to be a long time I though possibly a Coast Guard inspection was causing a delay in boarding. When I saw the same crowds yesterday I looked for information as to what may have been caused the back up. That’s when I found the above thread.

Just thought I’d pass it along for general information.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

I received my boarding times this morning for a cruise on 11/19.  Was curious is Holland America is strict with the boarding times or can we get on board earlier than 1:20 PM?

We boarded about two hours earlier than our assigned time (Due to unforeseen issues with our flight being canceled the day before and instead arriving on an international red eye the same day as the cruise. We had a ton of bags and a toddler and nowhere else to go but straight to the port.) Anyhow, we had no issues and they said nothing about it. You could certainly try. 

• Like 1