Advice needed for Israel tours

smj

Does anyone have advice for tours in Israel? My choices seem to be the included tours, the Viking tours at extra cost and Guided Tours Israel. We have never been to Israel and this may be our only time to visit so I want to see and experience as much as possible. I do not want just a bus ride with little or no inside visits.  Guided tours Israel does not have head sets and the tours can be up to 16 people. 

we did guided tour Israel and it was excellent.  we did a two day private tour for four to see Masada, Jerusalem and Bethlehem.  We saw SO MUCH and our guide was able to drive us right up close to many sights.   We stayed overnight on our own in Jerusalem.  we walked at night to see the wailing wall. 

We did the group tour for nazareth and that was excellent too! 

We decided we most likely would not make it back so we maximized our time. Unreal once in a lifetime experience- the whole thing!

• Like 1

For the 21/22 World Cruise the following excursions were offered from Haifa:
•    Haifa Panorama & Acre (INCLUDED)
•    Jerusalem & Bethlehem (159)
•    Nazareth & the Sea of Galilee (149)
•    Caesarea, Tel Aviv & Jaffa (149)
•    Eternal Jerusalem & the Yad Vashem Museum (149)
•    The Ruins of Caesarea Maritima (69)
•    Scenic Haifa & Amphora Winery (79)

Descriptions of these excursions are available on the Viking public web site:
https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/viking-world-cruise/index.html#itineraryday/114

Click on the excursion title block for details of each excursion.

The following excursions were NOT offered at the port of Haifa during the 21/22 WC:
•    Rosh Hanikra, Kibbutz Visit & Acre’s Bahá’í Gardens (N/A)
•    Overland to the Holy Land (N/A)
•    Panoramic Shores of the Sea of Galilee (N/A)

Because the revised itinerary of the 21/22 WC added an additional day in Israel at the port of Ashdod, which is nearer Jerusalem, some additional excursions were offered from Ashdod, several of which were similar to those offered from Haifa.
•    Jerusalem: City of Three Religions (149)
•    Jerusalem & Bethlehem (159)
•    Masada & the Dead Sea (149)
•    Tel Aviv & Jaffa (59)
•    Eternal Jerusalem & the Yad Vashem Museum (149)
•    The Land of Two Thousand Caves (79)
•    Old City & Modern Jerusalem (Included)
•    Grand Overland to Jerusalem & Haifa (599)
•    Scenic Jerusalem (99)

I found descriptions of the Ashdod (Jerusalem) excursions under Viking’s Cities of Antiquity & the Holy Land cruise:
https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/eastern-mediterranean/cities-of-antiquity/index.html#itineraryday/7

I did the Masada & the Dead Sea excursion from Ashdod and the Jerusalem & Bethlehem (day 1) and Caesarea, Tel Aviv & Jaffa (day 2) excursions from Haifa.  Although a great meal was provided on the Caesarea, Tel Aviv & Jaffa excursion, too much time was spent in traffic so the Tel Aviv panoramic portion was a essentially a drive down a main arterial street in stop and go traffic; so instead I wish I had opted for the half-day Ruins of Caesarea Maritima or another excursion.  Otherwise, I found the excursions I took while in Israel to be FANTASTIC and I would recommend them to the point that I would be tempted to repeat them next time we visit those ports... although I would also explore and consider private excursion alternatives for new adventures or possible less expensive options.

Since this is your first and maybe only trip to Israel, I would think that the Viking the Jerusalem & Bethlehem excursion (or a separate similar private excursion) would allow you to visit and walk amongst well-known and popular historic locations, in addition to the panoramic views from the bus, van or car.  However, it can be an hour and a half drive from Haifa to Jerusalem, so you will likely be in a vehicle for at least three hours of the day.  So take time to soak in the views along the way as well.

• Like 2

My group of 8 had a wonderful 3 days in Israel with Nedal Abdo a few years ago.  He is a licensed private guide who arranged everything.  Appropriate vehicle, separate driver, admission to the sites, etc.  We were in Haifa one day and the moved to Ashdod for another two days.  He met us at the port each morning for a full day of adventure.  He can customize your trip to cover whatever you want, but he also knows Israel extremely well, so can provide guidance.  He can be reached at nedala@netvision.net.il.

A small group is definitely the way to go.

• Like 1

Check out ToursbyLocals private tours in Israel.  They will be pricier than your other options unless you can find someone to share w you.  However you will own the tour so your will not be in a group and they will set up the tour to do what you want to do and not what the cruise company makes the most money on.  We have never been disappointed by any ToursbyLocals tours that we have taken.

DON

5 hours ago, geffric said:

we used a wonderful tour from Shalom Isreal for our longer stay. 

On Passage to India on the Viking Orion, we went with Guided Tour Isreal.

Thanks. That's who we are booking with on Mars for Passage to India next May. Any other tips about this cruise? We are going Mumbai to Athens. Looks fabulous. 

My advice, if you are going to the Dead Sea, is do not shave your legs just before!   My first time there, I had done just that and had to be carried out — so painful and so embarrassing!  🫣

On subsequent trips, I saw this time and time again, but I had learned my lesson and just floated around, enjoying the day. It really is a beautiful time there and highly recommended. 😊

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 4:42 PM, Pushka said:

Thanks. That's who we are booking with on Mars for Passage to India next May. Any other tips about this cruise? We are going Mumbai to Athens. Looks fabulous. 

best cruise we have ever taken...pm me directly and i'll give you some helpful hints

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geffric said:

best cruise we have ever taken...pm me directly and i'll give you some helpful hints

We can’t pm here but I’d love your tips. 
its carol….@…..thinkoneteam.com  (remove all the multiple dots). 

We used Eli & Moti Bar Tuv from Travel Israel for all of our 3 days in Israel they were amazing. Got us right there - Eli ensured as much as possible that I didn’t need to queue as I’m limited mobility. At the Dead Sea we had lunch in a private hotel all arranged by Moti. Cannot recommend them highly enough. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...