Is HAL perfect?

esimon

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Billboard is nothing like a real piano bar, but simply another entertainment venue with "sets."

If we want a real piano bar now, we must go on Princess where they still have piano bar players/singers although I am not a big fan of their venue which is often part of the Atriums.

So we love Billboard Onboard and consider that our "piano bar" in the evening.....We especially like "all request" sets.  Whether that is defined as a performance or piano bar I do not care.  We do know we love to sit on the stools "at the piano bar" and enjoy chit chatting with the performers and singing along....And closing out "all request night" with everybody singing "Sweet Home Alabama" or "American Pie".  Good times. 

Also, when we were on the Rotterdam last year, the lady piano player/singer also played during the afternoon tea when that was held in BBKings and I think a few other times/places.

When we were on Princess (last March, one time, never again) we passed by the guy playing the piano on the way to dinner but on several HAL cruises we pass by Lincoln Center Stage playing......Also, on that Princess cruise we attempted an evening in what they call a jazz club.  Their definition of jazz was more of the brunch, northern states jazz and was boring for us (having lived in New Orleans).  And yes, the atrium on Princess with a performer is like the food court in the mall for us.  

• Like 1

Like others have said- All cruise lines are trying to make a come back after being shut down for almost 1.5 yrs.  Even after restart they had a bunch of new rules to follow, plus people were/are still afraid to cruise.  They have to make cut backs in order to keep sailing.  We, as people who enjoy cruising, have decided we still enjoy cruising even though we miss some of our favorite things.  Carnival stock has dropped from $27 a share to less than $10, but we hang on to it for the OBC & the hope it will recover eventually.  Yes I miss the shows, the live bands, the better food offerings- but being on a cruise is better than staying home doing my own dishes, making my own bed, cooking my own meals.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Like others have said- All cruise lines are trying to make a come back after being shut down for almost 1.5 yrs.  Even after restart they had a bunch of new rules to follow, plus people were/are still afraid to cruise.  They have to make cut backs in order to keep sailing.  We, as people who enjoy cruising, have decided we still enjoy cruising even though we miss some of our favorite things.  Carnival stock has dropped from $27 a share to less than $10, but we hang on to it for the OBC & the hope it will recover eventually.  Yes I miss the shows, the live bands, the better food offerings- but being on a cruise is better than staying home doing my own dishes, making my own bed, cooking my own meals.

You got that right. Nothing like doing dishes and making my own bed. Pure drudgery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, albingirl said:

You got that right. Nothing like doing dishes and making my own bed. Pure drudgery.

And having mostly hubby & myself as company.  On every ship we have sailed, we always meet interesting people & have a great time.  

• Like 2

imo HAL is as good as Celebrity   .  Having been away from cruises since March 2019  ,these 2 December B2B cruises on koningsdam will feel wonderful   & I will be able to celebrate my 84th birthday on a cruise    .doesn;t get any better than that 😃😃😃

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Hal used to be, the line to go to for midsize ships and great captains.

True that meneer uit Den Haag 😉 However, there are still great captains; Jeroen van Donselaar, Ane Jan Smit, Eric van der Wal, Jeroen Schuchmann, Wouter van Hoogdalem, Michiel Willems, Werner Timmers, Rens van Eerten, to name a few 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

True that meneer uit Den Haag 😉 However, there are still great captains; Jeroen van Donselaar, Ane Jan Smit, Eric van der Wal, Jeroen Schuchmann, Wouter van Hoogdalem, Michiel Willems, Werner Timmers, Rens van Eerten, to name a few 

True, Mr. Amsterdam..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1