Purchasing liquor for stateroom

sapete

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You can still bring 1 bottle of wine per guest 21 and older. Buy the cheapest in a dark green bottle and get a recorking kit.

Would you people PLEASE stop doing this and recommending it to others!?!  You got our ability to carry-on our own bottled beverages (other than wine) taken away with your the-rules-don't-apply-to-me smuggling.  Now you're going to get our ability to carry on wine revoked.  Just freakin' follow the rules, can't you? 

Smugglers suck.😠  

• Like 7

I am disappointed I will not be able to purchase a bottle for my cabin as I like to have a drink while getting ready for the evening. If I go to a bar and get one to take back to my cabin the ice will have diluted it to the point I would be drinking flavored water. It looks like they could come up with a better solution than to punish the ones of us who drink responsibly. Maybe they should cite the offenders first night of cruise with brig time and Kicked off first port. It would send the message they are serious if a person drinks too much and causes problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You can still bring 1 bottle of wine per guest 21 and older. Buy the cheapest in a dark green bottle and get a recorking kit.

LOL....I hope no one is surprised when the 'guests are not longer permitted to bring on wine' email comes out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine that while many feel it was a revenue stream for Carnival, perhaps it really was not?  Does anyone actually know how many cabins or bottles of liquor were sold to be consumed in the cabin?  My guess is no one does other than Carnival.  It is entirely possibly that maybe they were only selling 20 bottles on a cruise with thousands of people, who knows.  My guess is if had been a huge profit maker then then wouldn't have just completely gotten rid of it.  

I would say they probably evaluated what they were selling and determined the expense etc wasn't worth it to offer.  I can say with 36 cruises I have never ordered liquor for my cabin.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I would imagine that while many feel it was a revenue stream for Carnival, perhaps it really was not?  Does anyone actually know how many cabins or bottles of liquor were sold to be consumed in the cabin?  My guess is no one does other than Carnival.  It is entirely possibly that maybe they were only selling 20 bottles on a cruise with thousands of people, who knows.  My guess is if had been a huge profit maker then then wouldn't have just completely gotten rid of it.  

I would say they probably evaluated what they were selling and determined the expense etc wasn't worth it to offer.  I can say with 36 cruises I have never ordered liquor for my cabin.  

If they didn't sell the same liquors in duty-free I'd maybe agree with you. But when you are selling bottles to be delivered to staterooms at 3-4 times the price of what you are selling it in the duty-free (at a profit) this can't be anything but a winner for them, no matter how many they sell or don't. From the displeasure vented here, it would seem many took advantage of this offer.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

We've ordered a bottle at least 10-15 times on Carnival and on several other cruises (NCL, Celebrity) our cabin came with two bottles of liquor. Actually, for our upcoming B2B on the Reflection, we'll receive 4 liters of alcohol. That's waaaay more than we'll consume, given that the booking also includes a premium beverage package. 

But, yes, at nearly $100/bottle - I'm not picturing a lot of people willing to foot that bill, even though they'll probably end up paying more ordering at bars (again, if they don't have CHEERS).

Tom

41 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

John Heald did say it was profitable for them.  Take that for what it's worth but given that and the response here, I do tend to think they did make money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

John Heald did say it was profitable for them.  Take that for what it's worth but given that and the response here, I do tend to think they did make money. 

It had to be, it was essentially cheers light if you will, cheers is a 105 drinks over seven days, divided by 22 (number of shots in a liter) and that is 4.77 bottles, considering each bottle was going for between $130-$150 (after fees/tax), it's still very profitable, even though each cabin was limited to two bottles. Personally, I don't think they will completely recover this revenue through individual drink sales and/or cheers conversions. Will some? Sure, but certainly not all. People will simply drink less on board, smuggle, drink more in ports ect, basically mitigate as best as possible. There are many many people who see cheers as a complete rip-off and those same folks will balk at paying $14-15 per drink also. Can't say I blame them, I don't drink at restaurants/bars anymore either, too rich for my blood these days. I've pre-purchased cheers for my next cruise but even I'm considering cancelling it and just going without because It's hard to stomach the costs, this from someone who could easily max out on most days and bring the average cost down to $8 after cheers/auto grats/additional delivery grats. $1200 for two is not a small chunk of change. Some folks cruise for less than that 'all in'.          

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Island Dog said:

If they didn't sell the same liquors in duty-free I'd maybe agree with you. But when you are selling bottles to be delivered to staterooms at 3-4 times the price of what you are selling it in the duty-free (at a profit) this can't be anything but a winner for them, no matter how many they sell or don't. From the displeasure vented here, it would seem many took advantage of this offer.

I am not saying it wasn't profitable, but maybe not feasible in terms of profit?  Again if they made $100 per bottle profit, but only sold 30 bottles per cruise then it might not have been as much profit as was necessary to continue the practice.  My guess is not enough people bought the bottles which is why it went away.  

8 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I am not saying it wasn't profitable, but maybe not feasible in terms of profit?  Again if they made $100 per bottle profit, but only sold 30 bottles per cruise then it might not have been as much profit as was necessary to continue the practice.  My guess is not enough people bought the bottles which is why it went away.  

I'd argue the opposite, too many bought the bottles and were bringing their per drink prices down and saving on additional tips per drink. Removing this is an effort to increase both the per drink prices and the additional per drink tipping. The bottles were cheaper per drink than even cheers (lowest price per being $8ish IF you max out), even though they were limited to two bottles per room and thus a few drinks per day per person over a week cruise but enough for many who don't want cheers but also don't want to pay $12-$15+ per drink a-la-carte. It's a money grab, pure and simple, by removing a middle tier between a-la-carte and cheers.   

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It had to be, it was essentially cheers light if you will, cheers is a 105 drinks over seven days, divided by 22 (number of shots in a liter) and that is 4.77 bottles, considering each bottle was going for between $130-$150 (after fees/tax), it's still very profitable, even though each cabin was limited to two bottles. Personally, I don't think they will completely recover this revenue through individual drink sales and/or cheers conversions. Will some? Sure, but certainly not all. People will simply drink less on board, smuggle, drink more in ports ect, basically mitigate as best as possible. There are many many people who see cheers as a complete rip-off and those same folks will balk at paying $14-15 per drink also. Can't say I blame them, I don't drink at restaurants/bars anymore either, too rich for my blood these days. I've pre-purchased cheers for my next cruise but even I'm considering cancelling it and just going without because It's hard to stomach the costs, this from someone who could easily max out on most days and bring the average cost down to $8 after cheers/auto grats/additional delivery grats. $1200 for two is not a small chunk of change. Some folks cruise for less than that 'all in'.          

I agree with everything you said. I also think many will simply opt not to drink or drink less. 

i also have a hard time buying Cheers even though it is worth it for us in many ways. I am sailing next week and only pulled the trigger two days ago. The only reason I do is because we are sailing for next to nothing on a deal and $200 OBC. It was more for Cheers than we paid to get on the boat. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I agree with everything you said. I also think many will simply opt not to drink or drink less. 

i also have a hard time buying Cheers even though it is worth it for us in many ways. I am sailing next week and only pulled the trigger two days ago. The only reason I do is because we are sailing for next to nothing on a deal and $200 OBC. It was more for Cheers than we paid to get on the boat. 

I'm there with you - I wince at the price of CHEERS, and often go back/forth on it. I lucked out over the last couple of weeks and was able to book a new promo and upgrade another booking and will be getting CHEERS (Drinks on us Everywhere) included. I didn't hesitate on that !!

i-zjg5WLV-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

I have not and will not ever buy Cheers! (or any other cruise lines drink package) at the "rack rate". We just don't drink enough to make it worth it. In addition, we are "port people" and never stay onboard, so 3-4 days out of 7 we are off the ship most of the day unable to use the package. I have been enjoying cruises since covid that roll it into the fare at a substantially discounted rate, like NCL does. Our next Carnival cruise, sadly, is the last one I have had this offered to me.

Edited by Island Dog

21 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Would you people PLEASE stop doing this and recommending it to others!?!  You got our ability to carry-on our own bottled beverages (other than wine) taken away with your the-rules-don't-apply-to-me smuggling.  Now you're going to get our ability to carry on wine revoked.  Just freakin' follow the rules, can't you? 

Smugglers suck.😠  

What if we want the wine gone as well? People buying $8 bottles of liquor for $80 was robbery. Need to bring that same pain to the whinos

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

For one ship that's $156,000 per year and for 10 ships it would be $1.5 million (if my math is right)- profit. Very few companies would turn up their nose at that. I think that when all things are considered Carnival is really stopping this in an attempt to control consumption and passenger behavior. I hope that they actually looked at the data they have and that there is at least a direct link (something along the lines, well, we had 1,000 violent incidents in x period of time and in 900 of those incidents the passenger had purchased a bottle of liquor for the cabin) but we'll never know if they did that or if they are just guessing and hoping that this will help.

I know that they've instituted $500 fines for violent behavior, but like the $250 fine for smoking in one's cabin I'm not sure that will be a deterrent. 

I think it was just the low hanging fruit.  It had the least profit potential of anything they sell alcohol related.  Sure $60 profit is nice but they can make more if they serve it by the drink at the bar.  From the outside people who are concerned say 'well Carnival IS doing something' but in the end not much changed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It will be coming, believe me. No more nice $50 bottle of wines being brought onboard. You get to spend $100 for our $5 bottle.

That's why I pick up those $200+ bottles during our first two nights in the Steakhouse (they're half price!!).

• Like 1