Train from ANC to Seward

kayehall

There are two train options here -

One you stay at the airport and catch the cruise line chartered train leaving the airport area

about noon - YES this is a doable plan ONLY if taking that cruise line chartered train.

It is not a daily scheduled trip - operates only when the cruise line ship sails.

{I am thinking this is the plan you are contemplating}

OR

While the airport hotels maybe a convenient and less expensive alternative to those

downtown and those close to the Alaska RR Depot -

you are cutting your sleep time by an hour or maybe more.

The scheduled Alaska RR Coastal Classic train leaves at 06:45 - that is the time of departure -

check-in and baggage handling certainly must be done prior - suggested by 6am.

Cruise line travel - baggage maybe handled differently - check it out !

The distance from the airport to the train depot is not that great and traffic not

much of a problem but rousting out a shuttle driver or taxi/uber vehicle -

With other folks having the same plan -

you maybe looking at leaving the airport area no later than 5am YMMV.

It is always time versus distance - - - and convenience - saving a buck or two etc.

Consider whether it is worthwhile to use hotel points rewards to stay somewhere

other than close ?

This plan is "doable" ONLY if you booked the cruise ship special chartered train from the Anchorage Airport to Seward.  It can only be purchased through the cruise line.  This is early afternoon departure and is not offered daily.  It runs only on the days which a cruise line has chartered the trip and is not available for sale to the general public.

The daily "regular" Alaska railroad run is from the Alaska Railroad downtown (not airport) station to Seward.  This is a early morning departure and does not use the spur for a stop at the Anchorage Airport.  This is purchased through the Alaska Railroad.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kayehall said:

I am thinking of staying 1 night at an airport hotel in Anchorage and then going back to the airport to catch the train to Seward. Is this a doable plan?

Yes. I assume you would be flying in the day before (wise decision) and are looking for just an inexpensive hotel for the night, and not otherwise having any substantial plans (sightseeing or otherwise) for Anchorage. Your plan is probably best, among the several bus and train alternatives available, based on simplicity. Presumably, the hotel will shuttle you from the airport on airplane arrival day, and will return you there on railroad departure day. Make the chartered train travel arrangements with the cruise line upon which you will be sailing.

• Like 1

Just wanted to comment that the cruise line chartered ARR  runs only happen on a day in which their ship is departing from Seward.  So if someone wants to spend several days in Seward before boarding, if they opt for a ARR trip,  they would need to book the early morning ARR train from the downtown Anchorage ARR station to the  Seward station.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just wanted to comment that the cruise line chartered ARR  runs only happen on a day in which their ship is departing from Seward.  So if someone wants to spend several days in Seward before boarding, if they opt for a ARR trip,  they would need to book the early morning ARR train from the downtown Anchorage ARR station to the  Seward station.  

Darn, I thought I had the best of plans.  Yes, we want to go to Seaward and spend 2 nights before cruise.  I was hoping I could do complimentary transport to and from the airport.  But it looks like that is a no go.  So a hotel closer to the train station downtown would be the choice.  Does any hotel offer train station comp transport?  Or a hotel close enough to walk.....only if in a safe area?  Was looking at the Westmark for price or Marriott for points.  

• Like 1

Looking for a hotel that you have rewards points round-to-its to burn - use the internet and

check Priceline - Booking.com - have a travel club membership see what they can advise.

Call the hotel directly for information about shuttle service to from depot and/or airport !

Google map of the area around the Anchorage Depot {zooom IN OUT for more detail}

Google Maps

Note the PINK (RED) tabs (Marriott) bottom left of image - Depot in middle of image -

Early booking highly recommended 

Hotels in a 10 block radius - Sheraton Hilton Ramada - closest with level walking is

the Comfort Inn @ Ships Creek - closest Hilton 3 block walk all downhill steps ramps

9 hours ago, kayehall said:

Yes, we want to go to Seaward and spend 2 nights before cruise.

You did not disclose that you had plans to do anything other than a direct connection between the train and the cruise vessel. That's the purpose of this particular train. And because of that particular purpose, the train does not operate on a daily schedule. You mentioned only one night in Anchorage, but said nothing about additional nights being spent in Seward. It is practicable to use the Cruise Train to connect directly from Anchorage airport to the waiting vessel in Seward . . . but not so otherwise. You can't leave out critical details.

For 2023, you can expect the Cruise Train to operate from the Anchorage airport to Seward on Thursdays, Fridays, and alternate Mondays. These are the days that vessels are scheduled from Seward. So if you wanted to travel on the Cruise Train days in advance of your vessel's departure from Seward, you would first have to ensure that the Cruise Train is operating on the anticipated day of travel, and then, second, you would have to either talk your way, or sneak, onto the train. Think of the scene in the movie, North by Northwest, in which Cary Grant successfully sneaks onto the Twentieth Century Limited, with the help of Eva Marie Saint, going from New York's Grand Central Terminal to Chicago's LaSalle Street Station.

In the absence of such a surreptitious plan of traveling on the Cruise Train, you could travel on the Coastal Classic train, from downtown Anchorage to Seward; or motorcoach, from either downtown Anchorage or Anchorage airport to Seward. All of the available options are outlined, in detail, in the Canada and Alaska Timetable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kayehall said:

Darn, I thought I had the best of plans.  Yes, we want to go to Seaward and spend 2 nights before cruise.  I was hoping I could do complimentary transport to and from the airport.  But it looks like that is a no go.  So a hotel closer to the train station downtown would be the choice.  Does any hotel offer train station comp transport?  Or a hotel close enough to walk.....only if in a safe area?  Was looking at the Westmark for price or Marriott for points.  

I’ve stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek before.  They have (or at least they did last summer) an airport shuttle.  They also have a shuttle in the morning to the train depot which we did not take.  The motel is very close—we just walked.

Not sure about other downtown hotels.  The Hotel Captain Cook did not have a train shuttle; we just walked (it’s downhill) to the station.  It’s safe to walk.  Lots of other people up and about walking to the station.

We’ve also taken an Uber to the station from other hotels and AirBnBs.  Lots available and relatively inexpensive ($10 with a tip).

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, kayehall said:

In the past the Visit Anchorage offices both at the airport and the log cabin have had a comprehensive list of hotels in the Anchorage bowl that provide info on who has shuttle buses and where they go. Several have shuttles that services both the airport and the train station.

www.anchorage.net

907-257-2363

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GTJ said:

You did not disclose that you had plans to do anything other than a direct connection between the train and the cruise vessel. That's the purpose of this particular train. And because of that particular purpose, the train does not operate on a daily schedule. You mentioned only one night in Anchorage, but said nothing about additional nights being spent in Seward. It is practicable to use the Cruise Train to connect directly from Anchorage airport to the waiting vessel in Seward . . . but not so otherwise. You can't leave out critical details.

For 2023, you can expect the Cruise Train to operate from the Anchorage airport to Seward on Thursdays, Fridays, and alternate Mondays. These are the days that vessels are scheduled from Seward. So if you wanted to travel on the Cruise Train days in advance of your vessel's departure from Seward, you would first have to ensure that the Cruise Train is operating on the anticipated day of travel, and then, second, you would have to either talk your way, or sneak, onto the train. Think of the scene in the movie, North by Northwest, in which Cary Grant successfully sneaks onto the Twentieth Century Limited, with the help of Eva Marie Saint, going from New York's Grand Central Terminal to Chicago's LaSalle Street Station.

In the absence of such a surreptitious plan of traveling on the Cruise Train, you could travel on the Coastal Classic train, from downtown Anchorage to Seward; or motorcoach, from either downtown Anchorage or Anchorage airport to Seward. All of the available options are outlined, in detail, in the Canada and Alaska Timetable.

There is always Uber.  I just checked. 

UberX: $188-250 (~1 min away)  

UberXL: $325-433 (~3 min away)

I don't know what the train fare is but the Uber fare is not a bad deal.  Also you get to do the trip on your schedule.

DON

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I don't know what the train fare is but the Uber fare is not a bad deal. Also you get to do the trip on your schedule.

Full fare coach by railroad, between Anchorage and Seward, is $119; by motorcoach, fare is $65. Are the searched Uber fares fixed and available for summer travel?

The tradeoffs between going by bus or train and by private car seem valid as well here. That is to say, if you fit a number of people into a single hired taxi, the fare can be lower than paying for each person individually by train or bus; and you can choose your own schedule. On the negative side, however, is that being in a taxi for 2-1/2 hours can be rather uncomfortable (especially for a person in a middle seat!), compared to train or bus travel. It is a competitive choice.

4 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Full fare coach by railroad, between Anchorage and Seward, is $119; by motorcoach, fare is $65. Are the searched Uber fares fixed and available for summer travel?

The tradeoffs between going by bus or train and by private car seem valid as well here. That is to say, if you fit a number of people into a single hired taxi, the fare can be lower than paying for each person individually by train or bus; and you can choose your own schedule. On the negative side, however, is that being in a taxi for 2-1/2 hours can be rather uncomfortable (especially for a person in a middle seat!), compared to train or bus travel. It is a competitive choice.

And the difference in the space on the train versus the bus is no contest - the seating - the elbow

room - having a cafe or diner car with full service - and windows (large windows huge windows) -

and the convenience of a rest room that one can turn around in (not being a contortionist).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

And the difference in the space on the train versus the bus is no contest - the seating - the elbow

room - having a cafe or diner car with full service - and windows (large windows huge windows) -

and the convenience of a rest room that one can turn around in (not being a contortionist).

To me there is no contest doing the car option.  Say you are on the train and a bear and her cubs or a moose and her babies are by the side of the track.  You won't get a picture of it or even see it if you are looking down because trains do not stop.  Say that you are going past a wonderful vista and you would like the to have the time to admire it for a few minutes.  The train does not stop.  Say you want to make a slight modification of your route because something off the route looks interesting - the train does not stop.  Should I continue.  I like to be in control of my travel destiny.

I have done 3 train trips in my life.  One was in AK and I hated it.  One was the Ghan in Australia.  I was willing to do the 1883 mile drive because it seemed like a neat thing to do but my wife vetoed it.  In hindsight I guess that she was right and it was a cool train trip.  I could have tried to convince her to do the 983 mile drive from Alice Springs to Adelaide but I didn't.  She might have agreed to that.

We did do a recent train trip in Europe from Paris to Lyon for a cruise but that was only because the airline cancelled by Athens to Lyon flight and it was too late to make driving arrangements.  The best I can say about that train trip was it was fast and boring.

I have not been on a train trip yet.  Basically if I can't drive it I am not interested in it.  I guess that the "Different strokes etc" applies.

DON

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

To me there is no contest doing the car option.  Say you are on the train and a bear and her cubs or a moose and her babies are by the side of the track.  You won't get a picture of it or even see it if you are looking down because trains do not stop.  Say that you are going past a wonderful vista and you would like the to have the time to admire it for a few minutes.  The train does not stop.  Say you want to make a slight modification of your route because something off the route looks interesting - the train does not stop.  Should I continue.  I like to be in control of my travel destiny.

DON

Basic good points about stopping for flora fauna animals and scenic views - BUT then Alaska RR

does a good job of slowing a train for that event commenting on it. It is the unseen engineers

operating the train that first notice some of these things and communicating it to the conductor

and crew on board the train for an announcement where to look.

Another point the RR tracks often go where there is no road to see sites and photo opts - and then

there is the safety factor not getting out of the bus or car to encounter the native beasts on their

home turf.

Of course there will always be that YMMV factor - be a Sinatra  "Do it your way" which ever way

it is that will take you to your destiny - just make sure your photo recording device is loaded for

game !  LOL ! 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:00 AM, kayehall said:

I have stayed at both the Westmark and the particular Marriott you are referencing.  Anchorage has a surprising homeless population which has been an issue for a number of years. The current Anchorage Assembly and Mayor have been clashing regarding solutions.  While there is a group which essentially moves out the overnight homeless from doorways in the mornings, I would suggest staying at the Comfort Inn at Ship Creek.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I guess that the "Different strokes etc" applies.

That is a very important point that I have tried to make in various fora, but not always well-received. We're all different, and so what's "best" for you may well be quite different from what's "best" for me. And when someone posts here, asking for the "best" way to do this or to do that, I hesitate to respond respond directly because I don't know what their values might be. A train ride will never be best if one despises trains, no matter how many objective reasons are enumerated to "prove" otherwise.

I think I have been fair here, in characterizing choices as being "competitive." I gave some pluses and minuses of each, without ever choosing a "best." And I think that's the proper approach. Not to characterize any one choice as the hands-down, no-doubt, best, but instead to provide the choices, along with their respective advantages and disadvantages. Maybe I will provide my preference, including the reasons therefor, but it need not be your preference.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Anchorage has a surprising homeless population which has been an issue for a number of years. The current Anchorage Assembly and Mayor have been clashing regarding solutions.

My mother was homeless for many years. It was uncomfortable knowing that a sizeable number of persons disliked my mother on account of her status. There had never been any true "solution," the politics of which rarely have winners. The causes are numerous, and there are no simple one-size-fits-all solutions. As you do walk past and decide how to respond, if at all, at least consider that the person may be someone's mother.

I'm on the hunt for an Anchorage hotel, with a similar time table to the OP - flying in (hopefully) late evening, needing a place to lay our heads before boarding the regular ARR train to Seward.  I'm not worried about the early departure - we are from the East Coast, so 6 am Alaska time will be 10 am for us (might as well get *something* good from jetlag, eh?).  I don't want the Cruise Train because I want some time in Seward before we embark, and I already have that hotel reserved.  We are very excited about the train!

So if I sum up what has been posted so far, the recommendation is to be closer to the train depot than the airport, and so far the only hotel recommendations are the Comfort Inn Ship Creek, or the Hotel Captain Cook, and then walk to the train depot?

Is it difficult to get an Uber or cab from the airport to either of those hotels?  I don't mind a shuttle exactly, but again - jetlag - 8 pm in Anchorage is going to be midnight to our bodies, after a long day of travel, and I don't want to wait for a shuttle if it's not just right there.  Would rather order an Uber or schedule a car service - is that feasible, do you think?

15 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

I'm on the hunt for an Anchorage hotel, with a similar time table to the OP - flying in (hopefully) late evening, needing a place to lay our heads before boarding the regular ARR train to Seward.  I'm not worried about the early departure - we are from the East Coast, so 6 am Alaska time will be 10 am for us (might as well get *something* good from jetlag, eh?).  I don't want the Cruise Train because I want some time in Seward before we embark, and I already have that hotel reserved.  We are very excited about the train!

So if I sum up what has been posted so far, the recommendation is to be closer to the train depot than the airport, and so far the only hotel recommendations are the Comfort Inn Ship Creek, or the Hotel Captain Cook, and then walk to the train depot?

Is it difficult to get an Uber or cab from the airport to either of those hotels?  I don't mind a shuttle exactly, but again - jetlag - 8 pm in Anchorage is going to be midnight to our bodies, after a long day of travel, and I don't want to wait for a shuttle if it's not just right there.  Would rather order an Uber or schedule a car service - is that feasible, do you think?

I have always decided to stay closer to the train station when I’ve taken the early train.  The Comfort Inn is fine—nothing fancy but okay for one night.  We liked its proximity to the station but didn’t like having to go somewhere else for dinner.  It was an uphill trek to downtown restaurants that I didn’t like after a long flight!

For me, the location is the Hotel Captain Cook was what I enjoyed.   Very close to some good restaurants (Glacier Brewhouse, Humpy’s) as well as a few places on site.  Was nice to check in and walk a few blocks for dinner/drinks.

We also like to stay at AirBnBs so I think it just comes down to personal preference.  

Ubers from the airport are readily available as are taxis.  The taxi stand is right outside of baggage claim.  I’ve found the cost to be comparable—if a taxi is available when I walk out of the terminal, I take rather than waiting for an Uber.

If we’re staying a distance away from the station (at an Airbnb or airport hotel),  I do pre-book an Uber in the morning.  I’ve found that there are a lot of people who want Ubers to catch that 6 am train!

• Thanks 1

We have stayed at Comfort Inn Ship Creek several times before/after riding the train. It is nothing fancy but it is convenient with the shuttle to/from the airport as well as the train station. One morning there were several people waiting for the shuttle to the train so my husband and our special needs son took our luggage and rode in the shuttle, and I walked to the train station. It is a very easy short walk downhill. I think I even beat the shuttle since they had to load everyone in!

The hotel is also on Ship Creek where you can watch the fishermen try their luck!

• Thanks 1

Looking online at the Hotel Captain Cook vs the Comfort Inn Ship Creek - just from the online sites, you couldn't get 2 more different hotels, if only looking at price - for my date, the Comfort Inn is $165, and the Captain Cook is over $500.  So, there's that.

I didn't realize, too, that the Comfort Inn's proximity to the rail station also comes with train noises.  Since my Beloved sleeps lighter than the lightest of sleepers, that might be an issue.  Did you notice a lot of noise?  

(Recent reviews of the Comfort Inn are scathing - but I'm looking almost a year out and one hopes they would solve their issues by then.  Another problem, though, is that I want to be able to cancel without a charge.)

20 minutes ago, CruzinMel said:

Looking online at the Hotel Captain Cook vs the Comfort Inn Ship Creek - just from the online sites, you couldn't get 2 more different hotels, if only looking at price - for my date, the Comfort Inn is $165, and the Captain Cook is over $500.  So, there's that.

I didn't realize, too, that the Comfort Inn's proximity to the rail station also comes with train noises.  Since my Beloved sleeps lighter than the lightest of sleepers, that might be an issue.  Did you notice a lot of noise?  

(Recent reviews of the Comfort Inn are scathing - but I'm looking almost a year out and one hopes they would solve their issues by then.  Another problem, though, is that I want to be able to cancel without a charge.)

I would not pay $500 a night at the Hotel Captain Cook—it was nice but not worth that price!  

Yes, the reviews seem to be mixed on the Comfort Inn but as we’ve only stayed for one night on our visits, it was fine.  I don’t remember much train noise but I’m a pretty heavy sleeper.  Hubby said he didn’t notice any issues.  Told me to tell you it won’t be a problem 😜!

For the price of the Captain Cook, I would stay at an airport hotel.  We’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the Hyatt House.  We then just Ubered to the station.  Quick trip but I’d prebook for the morning.

• Thanks 1