Bar Harbor rejects Cruise Ships

Hlitner

20 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

The link in the last post requires that anyone trying to read it has to sign up & pay for access to the link.    Can the OP (cooncat_mom) PLEASE PLEASE  copy & post the article here???

Same article, different source...

https://www.mainepublic.org/business-and-economy/2023-01-03/businesses-sue-bar-harbor-over-new-cruise-ship-passenger-limits

d9704011:    Many thanks for that 2nd link!!   I feel a bit more relieved that Mike & I may be able to tender to downtown, go to a shop or 2 to buy some blueberry items & eat lobster at a local restaurant.....last time there I bought a Bar Harbor long sleeve shirt which I dearly love and wear so often.....I want to buy another shirt!!  

Checked our ports today and it appears Zaandam will be the only ship in nearly all of our ports, and in some cases, the 1st ship of the 2023 season to come to that port!    A tour operator I contacted at Newport RI about his boat tour said April is too early for cruise ships to come!!!   I wrote him back to say:  Well, Zaandam & people will be there!

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

On 1/14/2023 at 6:30 PM, Charles4515 said:

That would be a copyright violation.

We generally let posts with links to news articles stay on the forum, and thanks for raising the concern. It's important!!

Best practice when posting a link is to include the publication name, name of the person who wrote the piece, and or lead photo (if the image is featuring prominently in the post). Doing so helps to avoid any misunderstanding that the creator is the owner of the content, not Cruise Critic, nor the person posting the link.

A link inside a post that does not solicit any form of payment or type of business counts as Fair Use Exclusion, wherein private people can share published material without infringing on the rights of creators. 

Yes, Cruise Critic is a business, but not actively promoting the contents of previously published material and representing it as CC content, for example in a link on a piece written by a Cruise Critic editor. Can't do that.

Information sharing is important and there are guidelines for doing so. It is complex, so if in doubt, leave out the link and write the name of where you read the article... a quick search and it's on your screen. 

Publication paywalls are part of that story, but not one we need to get into here. 😉