Melbourne Australia embarkation questions

LuckiePuris

For Melbourne embarkation for a Princess Cruise can anyone please shed some light on the line up process.

We have been lucky to get Group A boarding time and with platinum priority priority, am I right to assume we’re permitted to be one of the first to line up to board?

Boarding time is midday however it’s very important to us that we’re onboard early as we want to book sanctuary for a specific day with great choice of lounger as well as register for chsfs table.

How early can you start to queue so that you’re at the front when boarding starts?

Can you queue inside the terminal building where check in is or is it outdoors either just outside elevators or way back at entrance near taxi drop off?

Is bag drop available straight away from mid morning?

We are planning on arriving at 10am and happy to wait, just wanted an idea of when/where they’ll start queues.

Thank you, have a great day!

If you haven't already done this, I suggest posting on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

There have been a number of 'live from' threads from Princess cruisers since cruising resumed in Australia.  I've found the posters to be very helpful answering questions (we're on a 28 day Round Australia cruise on the Coral Princess in April).

when i departed Melbourne back in Jan 2019, I arrived at the port just before midday.  There was a long line of people queued outside and we had to wait about an hour in the hot sun, no shade, before they let us into the terminal.  Many of the people around me seemed prepared for the wait.   Once upstairs in the terminal, I received my card etc quickly at the suite check in line, but then had to sit on a hard plastic seat for another hour (i was grateful for the seat, most people were standing up in a packed queue).  When they were finally ready to let us through, we got on quickly.  But i decided in future, i would not be arriving early at that terminal.    

Not sure when your cruising. But Melbourne weather can be brutally hot in Summer. It can get up to 43C. There is no shade down there if you have to wait until they open the terminal. I would not be arriving early on a hot day, rather I would delay until all the eager beavers had gone.