Looking for anyone who has visited Viking/Norse sites in Greenland from a cruise ship

cruisemom42

I have searched for years for a cruise that has some focus or itinerary on the Viking/Norse ruins and history in Greenland, rather than just focusing on the natural scenery and Inuit history. During that time I've seen one or two itineraries that give a nod to the Norse sites but mainly on small, expedition cruises that are very expensive as a solo cruiser.

I'm just curious if anyone has had the experience of visiting any Viking or Norse sites in Greenland from a cruise ship. The ones I'm aware of right now are:

-- The remains of the Hvalsey church which is often offered as an excursion from Qaqortok, and

-- The partially rebuilt homestead (and remains) of Erik the Red at Brattahlid, offered as an excursion from the less-frequently visited Qassiarsuk

-- The ruins of Gardar cathedral (largest Norse church in Greenland) from Itilleq

Please share any info, it's difficult to find much online.

We have this cruise booked for next September.  It ran this August as well, and there’s a roll call where you might pose some of your questions to the folks who just took it.  They could likely provide some answers.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/in-the-wake-of-vikings/index.html

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777203-viking-star-23-august-2022-in-the-wake-of-the-vikings/

Thanks, it's an interesting itinerary but Viking is charging the full solo supplement (as they usually do) and there are only 2 stops in Greenland.  I'm looking at an Oceania itinerary right now that is two days longer and includes those two ports as well as 2 additional Greenland ports at half the cost of Viking (for a solo).  

The only real negative for me when comparing the itineraries is that the Viking one goes to L'Anse aux Meadows....

cruisemom42

The partially rebuilt homestead (and remains) of Erik the Red at Brattahlid, offered as an excursion from the less-frequently visited Qassiarsuk

Not only Qassiarsuk, we didn't actually take this shorex but it was on offer from our port stop in Narsarsuak, Greenland so if that is one of your stops it may be offered.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

cruisemom42

The partially rebuilt homestead (and remains) of Erik the Red at Brattahlid, offered as an excursion from the less-frequently visited Qassiarsuk

Not only Qassiarsuk, we didn't actually take this shorex but it was on offer from our port stop in Narsarsuak, Greenland so if that is one of your stops it may be offered.

Thank you!  I'll add Narsarsuak to the list of ports to look for.