Virgin Gorda with rental car

Gregg00ss

Will be in port from 8 am - 6 pm and have a car reserved on Virgin Gorda.  Obviously doing the Baths but curious of any other suggestions for places to stop and see or good places to eat or get drinks.  Should have plenty of time to explore the island, doesn't look that big, just looking for suggestions.

To get you started, we'd probably just use a taxi and stay in the Valley area on a cruise stop and head to Savannah Bay for snorkeling or just to enjoy the beautiful beach; then off to the Top of the Baths. If really busy we'd head over to Spring Bay instead.

Then over to Mad Dog (or head to Hog Heaven if riving that far north). Our favorite lunch spot was the Mineshaft Cafe at the Copper Mine..."It's all in the Juice, Mon!"...That closed unfortunately.

But the rental gives you more choices, perhaps check to see if Little Dix is serving lunch to day visitors...you should get more recs from the ta post..

Edited by blue_water

Happy to see that Dune_Fine gave you some ideas, she spends more time on VG than we do. I wanted to mention Leverick and the BIYC in the North Sound, not sure how much you want to drive, but that is an area very few cruisers from Tortola see (and Hog Heaven). If heading there just be sure to check the cruise ship schedule for VG - I'd check that whatever your itinerary is...I would also skip the Copper Mine but we've also been there, and if interested definitely do that. 

Savannah Bay is a must IMHO!

• 4 weeks later...

So we ended up renting a car for the day and had a great time. We were cruising with some friends who decided to tag along and they also rented a car.  Hit Baths right out of the gate and got stuck behind a tour group so it took some time.  The kids wanted to hang out at the beach and were disappointed when we had to move along but everyone was happy when I pulled into Savannah Bay, what a beautiful beach.  Must do for anyone visiting that has a rental car.  Maybe 5 or 6 other people there but felt like we had the place to ourselves.  After that we tried to do Sugarcane for lunch but they were closed.  Ended up doing Hog Heaven.  Food was decent, prices reasonable, view was simply amazing.  Definitely a million dollar view and worth a stop for a drink even if you don't want to eat there.  On the way back into town we hit the Copper Mine and then dropped the cars off and got a ride back to ferry terminal.  Definitely got our moneys worth and feel we saw a lot more than had we just done a trip to the Baths.  

Great! Yes Savannah is THE beach to hit, and HH is worth a stop just for the views. That was how the Mineshaft Restaurant was at the copper mine years ago…
Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for sharing with others here, it’s a great way to get away from your fellow cruisers and feel like you are on vacation for a few hours! 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, Gregg00ss said:

So we ended up renting a car for the day and had a great time. We were cruising with some friends who decided to tag along and they also rented a car.  Hit Baths right out of the gate and got stuck behind a tour group so it took some time.  The kids wanted to hang out at the beach and were disappointed when we had to move along but everyone was happy when I pulled into Savannah Bay, what a beautiful beach.  Must do for anyone visiting that has a rental car.  Maybe 5 or 6 other people there but felt like we had the place to ourselves.  After that we tried to do Sugarcane for lunch but they were closed.  Ended up doing Hog Heaven.  Food was decent, prices reasonable, view was simply amazing.  Definitely a million dollar view and worth a stop for a drink even if you don't want to eat there.  On the way back into town we hit the Copper Mine and then dropped the cars off and got a ride back to ferry terminal.  Definitely got our moneys worth and feel we saw a lot more than had we just done a trip to the Baths.  

Do you mind sharing rental car details?  This will be our first trip with a party of 6.

TYIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh…

This was such great information, I went ahead and rented a car ( $45) for our visit to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Sounded easy enough, take a ferry from our port stop in Tortola, and the car will be waiting on the other side for us to make our way around on our own.  But….

THERE IS NO FERRY ON SUNDAY when our cruise visits the island. 

So, looks like a ship excursion is the only way? Anyone have any alternate info to share? 

12 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Ugh…

But….

THERE IS NO FERRY ON SUNDAY when our cruise visits the island. 

So, looks like a ship excursion is the only way? Anyone have any alternate info to share? 

There are 2 ferries that run on Sundays…

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Yes…Where are you looking?

Date and port times?

Tortola ( Road Town) to Virgin Gorda and return on a ferry to visit the baths …as we arrive by cruise ship in March.
That’s where we are planning to go and rented a car ( now cancelled) This was great information on alternate ways to see Virgin Gorda outside a cruise ship excursion except it doesn’t work on Sundays. 

The ferry company has already responded they don’t go that route on Sunday. Taking a 1/2 hour cab ride to the airport and back to then take a ferry from there will not be feasible with our time in port. 
So it appears I have no choice but to book with the cruise line. I was hopeful someone on here was going to say that the ferry might still run if a cruise ship is in port, but again, they confirmed they don’t. 

2 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Tortola ( Road Town) to Virgin Gorda and return on a ferry to visit the baths …as we arrive by cruise ship in March.
That’s where we are planning to go and rented a car ( now cancelled) This was great information on alternate ways to see Virgin Gorda outside a cruise ship excursion except it doesn’t work on Sundays. 

The ferry company has already responded they don’t go that route on Sunday. Taking a 1/2 hour cab ride to the airport and back to then take a ferry from there will not be feasible with our time in port. 
So it appears I have no choice but to book with the cruise line. I was hopeful someone on here was going to say that the ferry might still run if a cruise ship is in port, but again, they confirmed they don’t. 

I’m confused…What ferry company did you contact?
aah, I looked at the Speedy’s and Smith’s and I see the Sunday RT/VG was dropped…That is a real surprise!

Yes then unless you hire an expensive private charter and share the cost with someone on your roll call I’m not aware of another option from the pier area, sorry…

Edited by blue_water