Alaska in October, any tips?

eileeshb

Before anyone responds with “don’t go in October” I can’t,  my family’s business is busiest April to September so October is my only option for Alaska.

I know Norwegian had a few ships sailing Alaskan Itineraries this year in October so I’m hoping a few folks that sailed then would have some insight on what to expect at the ports.

a

At the moment my itinerary is Juneau (1:30pm - 11pm), Skagway (7am-8.15pm), Glacier Bay, Ketchikan (7am-1.15pm likely docking at ward cove), Victoria (8pm+). 

Right now I’m thinking Ketchikan will have to be an NCL excursion as the shuttle bus times they had this year finished stupidly early (11am for last bus back to the ship) but I’m not sure about the others.

I do have the shore excursion credit and a latitudes discount, since I travel solo the credit is actually impactful. 
My online research on excursions so far suggests a lot of the independent options aren’t offering bookings for October so I’m curious as to what recent cruisers experienced. 

14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Just so you know - sunset in Juneau on 15 October is 5:52 and sunset in Skagway is 5:53.  

DON

I’m aware, I live in Ireland, only a couple of degrees further south. We’ve reached the point of the year where we have to leave the last light on while setting the alarm at work, next week we’ll be using torches to find our way out safely after setting the alarm at 5pm. 

The viewing will still be there - the shore excursions maybe limited and some stores may

have closed for the season. The weather will have started to take a notch towards the

winter side of things - nothing you can't handle.

Getting to and from Alaska may offer limited airline flights - non-stop flights reduced to

connection points i.e. Seattle Chicago Mpls/St. Paul others ?

Oh and the fares should be dropping in the bucket getting more bang for the buck or pound.

Come and enjoy the Last Frontier while it is somewhat still in frozen {tundra} state.

About those shore excursions have an alternate back-up plan - if one cancels due to

weather or other factors you maybe able to slip in at the last moment on another.

Your traveling solo does have an advantage of doing this - only one seat left !

Good Luck - enjoy your solo cruise !

• Like 1

I live in Alaska and have done some late season Alaska itineraries.  Once we did the last Alaska itinerary of the season (which was in mid-September) because it was the first leg of a B2B.  And in 2021, once the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act passed (allowing Alaska cruises to temporarily bypass a Canadian port call), we spent the last two weeks of September on a pair of Alaska cruises.

While you might be very lucky and have excellent weather be prepared for rain and possible rough seas.  That late in the season missing a port is a possibility due to storms.  So have options for bad weather days.

In Juneau check the days and hours of the State of Alaska Museum and also the Sealaska Heritage Center as they are great options on rainy days.  When we were in  September 2021 both the shuttle busses to Medenhall Glacier and the Mt. Roberts tram were operating.  

If the historical train is of interest then check the dates of operation in Skagway.  Book either directly with the White Pass and Yukon Railway or with your ship.  While I suspect that some of the buildings in Skagway which are operated as museums by the National Park Service may be closed, double check; some of those park ranger jobs are seasonal.

Given the location of Ward Cove in comparison to downtown Ketchikan it probably is a good idea to book a shore excursion with the cruise line.

And we have visited both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.  We are particularly fond of three weeks driving around the Republic; it was one of our favorite trips.

• Like 2

We did Alaska this past late September due to our busy cruising schedule. We were the last RCI ship of the season out/in to Vancouver. Again regardless of the timing we loved the Bering Sea tour in Ketchikan. Check to see if your port times will allow this great excursion to be booked. Also some of our family members did the Dog Mushers camp in Juneau....your timeframe would work fine for this option.

• 1 month later...

We are, at the moment, booked on NCL Sun, Seattle roundtrip, to Alaska, Oct. 20-30, 2023, the last cruise ship that I can see in Alaska.  I realize that the sun will be setting early and rising later.  I also realize that some of the usual tourist attractions may be closed along with shops and restaurants.  Further, I am aware that the weather may not be the greatest, with colder temperatures and rain, along with possible rough seas.

So, the question is:  Is it worthwhile to go that late in the year?  Will we (four of us) have a good/great experience?  The itinerary is: Sitka, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Icy Point Strait, Ketchikan (Ward Cove) and Victoria.

Is it worthwhile to go that late in the year?  The ship has less than 2000 passengers and probably no kids considering the time of year.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Bill

• 6 months later...

I am booked on NCL Sun for October 2nd and October 9th.

There are a number of advantages.  Very few ships, so the Ports are Great.

Going into Glacier Bay is wonderful.

I haven't gone to Alaska in October, but I did go the end of September and it was wonderful.

Weather was in the 60's and I was rewarded by seeing the Northern Lights from Skagway.  Make sure you make contact with the Northern Lights observatory in Fairbanks.  The Lights were visible from 1230 until 230 AM.  It was a treat.  Yes, the days are a little shorter, but for fewer Cruise Ships that will be a reward.

Remember, bears are on the run in October, so be cautious.

Have fun!  I will be getting off the ship as you board it.

Kathy

• Like 1