YIPES! Flight after cruise from IAH <Galveston cruise> doesn't depart until 2000/8pm! What to do?

PaperSniper4

I suppose there is some solace in that there's no rush getting from the pier to the airport. 😉

I don't really want to spend nearly 8 hours sitting around IAH with our luggage, so I'm trying to come up with an alternate plan to kill those hours after we disembark the ship, which I figure will be around 0900.

- Thought about renting a car and touring Galveston, lunch, etc. But car rental places are closed that day, nearest place is 15 miles away and charges nearly $100 for a 6-8 hour rental! That's for an econo-car also, not a Mercedes.🤑

- Thought about doing the cruise line's Houston "excursion" which takes about 4 hours and would drop us off at the airport around 1400/2pm. Costs about $100 each. Ouch.

- Any other ideas? I'm pretty sure we'd have to keep our luggage with us, as airlines usually won't let us check in any earlier than a few hours. That complicates things.

I am open to suggestions! Thanks.

Doug

• Like 1

Have you considered getting a room and flying the next morning?

Or some hotels will rent a day room.  Eight or ten or 12 hours.  We did that when we faced the same issue on a Alaskan cruise from Vancouver.  We were traveling to Atlanta.  They're just weren't any flights afternoon flights.  We got a day room and then caught a redeye that left Vancouver around midnight arriving Atlanta about six am.

We took the Princess Houston tour back in 2013. It was interesting but it's over about 1400.  BTW, a Princess transfer will run you around $60 so the tour might be  bargain.

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you considered getting a room and flying the next morning?

Or some hotels will rent a day room.  Eight or ten or 12 hours.  We did that when we faced the same issue on a Alaskan cruise from Vancouver.  We were traveling to Atlanta.  They're just weren't any flights afternoon flights.  We got a day room and then caught a redeye that left Vancouver around midnight arriving Atlanta about six am.

We took the Princess Houston tour back in 2013. It was interesting but it's over about 1400.  BTW, a Princess transfer will run you around $60 so the tour might be  bargain.

The Princess airport transfer is $60, so in comparison the tour only adds another $40 per person. Still, that's  lot in my cheap little Scottish mind! Still, that might be the best way to do things on disembarkation day.

No, I had not considered getting a room prior to our flight, but I will now. Always good to considered all the possibilities, eh?

Doug

2 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

The Princess airport transfer is $60, so in comparison the tour only adds another $40 per person. Still, that's  lot in my cheap little Scottish mind! Still, that might be the best way to do things on disembarkation day.

No, I had not considered getting a room prior to our flight, but I will now. Always good to considered all the possibilities, eh?

Doug

iah hotels with day rooms

https://www.google.com/search?q=iah+hotels+with+day+rooms&oq=iah+hotels+with+day+rooms&aqs=chrome..69i57.6376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8