New Zealand port advice please

crazyman3

On 6/27/2023 at 8:18 AM, SueMo said:

We had an Australia/New Zealand cruise on Celebrity Edge planned for February '24.  When checking out the ports of call, we decided there was so much we were missing in New Zealand by not doing a land tour, so we cancelled our cruise and contacted a company that makes personalized self-drive land tours where they  book rental cars, hotels, and excursions.  When I read reports like this, it makes me so very happy we cancelled our cruise.  I can't imagine after flying halfway across the world expecting to see Tauranga and Bay of Islands how disappointing it would be to have an extra sea day.  (I can do that in the Caribbean, no problem Man!)  I feel for you...

Best thing you could have done. NZ might be ok for Aussies to cruise as it's "just over the ditch" and they can come anytime.. but to come half way round the world to a country that you only really come to see the scenery for.. and then to not see much of the scenery (which you won't on a ship).. makes me scratch my head lol. Good luck with the land tour! 

6 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Best thing you could have done. NZ might be ok for Aussies to cruise as it's "just over the ditch" and they can come anytime.. but to come half way round the world to a country that you only really come to see the scenery for.. and then to not see much of the scenery (which you won't on a ship).. makes me scratch my head lol. Good luck with the land tour! 

Thanks, we're happy with our decision.  We will be spending 2 nights in each:  Auckland, Hahei, Rotorua, Queenstown, Te Anau, Wanaka, and 1 night in each:  Mt. Cook, Akaroa, and Christchurch.  Included are rental cars for both the North and South Islands, 13 breakfasts and 4 special dinners, and 13 activities such as Milford Sound,Glacier Explorer, dolphin, and glowworm cruises, jet boat ride, kayak trip to Cathedral Cove, Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland, Maori show, Hobbiton, Kiwi hatchery, and hikes, among others.  The price is probably twice as much as the base cost of the cruise, but by the time we would have added costs of excursions and extra nights in hotels pre or post cruise, it isn't that much more.  

Now all we have to do is figure out how to drive on the left side of the road and manage traffic circles!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SueMo said:

Now all we have to do is figure out how to drive on the left side of the road and manage traffic circles!

I assume by traffic circles, you mean roundabouts. Just remember to always give way to vehicles that are already in the roundabout and all vehicles entering it from roads on your right. Also remember if on a dual laned roundabout, you can't turn right from the left lane(s). You have to be in the right lane. 

Roundabouts

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, SueMo said:

Thanks, we're happy with our decision.  We will be spending 2 nights in each:  Auckland, Hahei, Rotorua, Queenstown, Te Anau, Wanaka, and 1 night in each:  Mt. Cook, Akaroa, and Christchurch.  Included are rental cars for both the North and South Islands, 13 breakfasts and 4 special dinners, and 13 activities such as Milford Sound,Glacier Explorer, dolphin, and glowworm cruises, jet boat ride, kayak trip to Cathedral Cove, Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland, Maori show, Hobbiton, Kiwi hatchery, and hikes, among others.  The price is probably twice as much as the base cost of the cruise, but by the time we would have added costs of excursions and extra nights in hotels pre or post cruise, it isn't that much more.  

That's a good trip! You'll see so much more than on a cruise. Although pity you're missing the Arthurs Pass and the West Coast which is some of the best. But it's the old problem.. you just can't do it all haha. Hope you enjoy it! 

On 6/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, possum52 said:

A half day tour of Auckland and you only saw the port area? The port area is not that big or do you mean the harbour area? How long was this tour? What were you supposed to see?

We did a half day tour - three hours which took us through various harbourside suburbs on both sides of the central business district. We visited the beautiful Auckland Domain where we stopped at the War Museum. We then went across to Devonport on the other side of the harbour where we drove through the historic village and stopped at a beachside cafe for refreshments after driving to the summit of North Head with a fantastic view of the harbour and Auckland. On the way back to the ship we stopped at the yacht marina where there were some very expensive yachts moored. A very interesting tour which had an overview of what Auckland is like.

We're going to be in Auckland in October and wondered if you would share the tour company you used?  Thanks

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

We're going to be in Auckland in October and wondered if you would share the tour company you used?  Thanks

Sorry, I can't remember who the tour company was- we booked through Viator and this link takes you to the tour we did (or very similar). Auckland Half Day Tour

We found it interesting and enjoyed it. It is really just an overview of the city.

Another suggestion is to catch the ferry across the harbour to Devonport, a lovely old village.

Edited by possum52