Hi! Has anyone done a transatlantic cruise?

JoshuaLifter

Hi! Has anyone done a transatlantic cruise? I am thinking of taking my son on his first transatlantic cruise, just checking to see if anyone has any recommendations or experiences? What were the highs and lows? Huge gym guy so a great workout area is a must!

Thanks Joshua!

Edited by JoshuaLifter
spelling

We have done more than a dozen transatlantic crossings aboard the Queen Mary II, so if that ship is on your radar, we can answer specific questions if you have them. In our experience, passengers on the QM II are well travelled and welcoming - we have never had a negative experience with passengers or staff. There is a well attended afternoon “Friends of Dorothy“ cocktail get-together daily in the Commodore Club and the party in G52 (the disco) after dinner is always fun. Day time activities on a crossing include lectures, planetarium shows and high tea…so you need to be prepared for life in the slow lane too. In any case, it’s our favorite way to get across the pond (preferably westbound for the extra hour each day) but we always look forward to our next crossing. 

• Like 1

Hello Josh -

You'll probably get quite a few replies as the TA's are becoming more popular.

You're fortunate in that you live in FL(so it seems) & there are many options leaving from Miami & Port Everglades.  In the spring & fall there are many repo cruises to choose from...so pick a few ports you are interested in & go from there.  You might also like flying to a port in Europe & returning to Mia by ship.  I recently found a 13 day on the Queen Mary that leaves Rome(Cittavicci) to London to NYC - I'm booked already.  I have to decide on the Eastbound crossing soon.

I've done several TA's, from the classic 5 day on QE2 (NYC to Southampton)to a 16 day NY to Barcelona on the HAL Prinsendam.  I'm looking at doing 2 this spring One eastbound , then 6 weeks in Italy & one TA westbound back home.

There are many lines so if you have a favorite look into that one first.  The newer ships have very good gym facilities.  The itinerary is a big factor in that your enjoyment / tolerance for seas days can be a deciding factor.  I love being at sea, but 8 days straight of ocean can be a bit much.

Saying that I have to say the time flies as there ares o many options of things to do onboard & you'll most likely meet other people to join &  have fun with - so don't let the longer crossings scare you.

Also depending on your son's age the facilities onboard will be a factor for you.  Again, the newer ships tend to have dedicated teen / youth facilities - so your son could meet others his own age.

The lines tend to pull out all the  stops for entertainment for TA's including special speakers etc.  and most lines have FOD get togethers.

I'm leaving in 7 weeks for a 21 day cruise around Europe and I only wish part was a TA!!!

Go for it!

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 7:56 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Hello Josh -

You'll probably get quite a few replies as the TA's are becoming more popular.

You're fortunate in that you live in FL(so it seems) & there are many options leaving from Miami & Port Everglades.  In the spring & fall there are many repo cruises to choose from...so pick a few ports you are interested in & go from there.  You might also like flying to a port in Europe & returning to Mia by ship.  I recently found a 13 day on the Queen Mary that leaves Rome(Cittavicci) to London to NYC - I'm booked already.  I have to decide on the Eastbound crossing soon.

I've done several TA's, from the classic 5 day on QE2 (NYC to Southampton)to a 16 day NY to Barcelona on the HAL Prinsendam.  I'm looking at doing 2 this spring One eastbound , then 6 weeks in Italy & one TA westbound back home.

There are many lines so if you have a favorite look into that one first.  The newer ships have very good gym facilities.  The itinerary is a big factor in that your enjoyment / tolerance for seas days can be a deciding factor.  I love being at sea, but 8 days straight of ocean can be a bit much.

Saying that I have to say the time flies as there ares o many options of things to do onboard & you'll most likely meet other people to join &  have fun with - so don't let the longer crossings scare you.

Also depending on your son's age the facilities onboard will be a factor for you.  Again, the newer ships tend to have dedicated teen / youth facilities - so your son could meet others his own age.

The lines tend to pull out all the  stops for entertainment for TA's including special speakers etc.  and most lines have FOD get togethers.

I'm leaving in 7 weeks for a 21 day cruise around Europe and I only wish part was a TA!!!

Go for it!

Thank you so much, I think it will be a great adventure, we have done some repositioning cruises, and I actually look forward to those sea days. We have met some great guys, I was just curiouse what a longer stretch at sea would be like.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoshuaLifter said:

Thank you so much, I think it will be a great adventure, we have done some repositioning cruises, and I actually look forward to those sea days. We have met some great guys, I was just curiouse what a longer stretch at sea would be like.

The sea days are up to you really - I've find I fall into a rhythm that can change whenever I like - I'm doing a 21 day cruise in January w 8 sea days dispersed.  On the TA's I took - the days sort fly by as there is lots to choose to do or not.  On QM2 its almost magical to think you are crossing the Atlantic Ocean - the week does go by quickly & the newer ships have lots of facilities ( gym, spa, sauna) and I imagine  important for you lots of activities for children.  

there usually is lgbq meet & greets and music, shows, pubs & just watching the ocean go by to pass the days.  Meals are a little bit more leisurely...  you'll also probably meet other men like yourself to join activities with. People are friendly & its up to you whether or not to join in.  Your son will have ample opportunities to meet other children.  The crews onboard tend to take extra care in making sure the chi;dren are ok & having fun.

The first & last days are a blur w boarding & disembarking but the days in between are up to you....you'll find you & your son falling into bed, sleeping well & up the next day excited to do a repeat.

Go for it - it already sounds like you are ready to make a reservation. Have  great time.  I'm planning on taking a ship back & forth to Europe as often asi can - sure beats flying!!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

The sea days are up to you really - I've find I fall into a rhythm that can change whenever I like - I'm doing a 21 day cruise in January w 8 sea days dispersed.  On the TA's I took - the days sort fly by as there is lots to choose to do or not.  On QM2 its almost magical to think you are crossing the Atlantic Ocean - the week does go by quickly & the newer ships have lots of facilities ( gym, spa, sauna) and I imagine  important for you lots of activities for children.  

there usually is lgbq meet & greets and music, shows, pubs & just watching the ocean go by to pass the days.  Meals are a little bit more leisurely...  you'll also probably meet other men like yourself to join activities with. People are friendly & its up to you whether or not to join in.  Your son will have ample opportunities to meet other children.  The crews onboard tend to take extra care in making sure the chi;dren are ok & having fun.

The first & last days are a blur w boarding & disembarking but the days in between are up to you....you'll find you & your son falling into bed, sleeping well & up the next day excited to do a repeat.

Go for it - it already sounds like you are ready to make a reservation. Have  great time.  I'm planning on taking a ship back & forth to Europe as often asi can - sure beats flying!!! 

Thank you! It sounds like a great way to turn the world off for a bit!

• Like 2

Increasingly, we’ve been booking cruises with more and more sea days to kind of acclimate us into a TA cruise.  I’m interested in a traditional Atlantic crossing on Cunard, but the idea of Gala Nights and packing suits again would be a step backwards for my husband.  

We were both glad Celebrity and many other lines did away with formal nights, but the idea of a “traditional” TA crossing on Cunard in a Queens Grill suite is an experience I’d like to try nonetheless.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

Increasingly, we’ve been booking cruises with more and more sea days to kind of acclimate us into a TA cruise.  I’m interested in a traditional Atlantic crossing on Cunard, but the idea of Gala Nights and packing suits again would be a step backwards for my husband.  

We were both glad Celebrity and many other lines did away with formal nights, but the idea of a “traditional” TA crossing on Cunard in a Queens Grill suite is an experience I’d like to try nonetheless.

I agree completely! So tempted to do one this winter, my son would be estactic, but the North Atlantic in the winter? IDK Could be a cool adventure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoshuaLifter said:

I agree completely! So tempted to do one this winter, my son would be estactic, but the North Atlantic in the winter? IDK Could be a cool adventure!

A Christmastime cruise starting in the UK and ending in NYC with a visit to Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas Spectacular, then the tree at Rockefeller Center, etc. would be amazing for him.  

We’re seeing the show again on December 3rd… you’ll both love it and we couldn’t recommend it more.  For an hour and a half, you’ll feel like a kid again 🙂

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, JoshuaLifter said:

The North Atlantic can be a crap shoot..I did  a West bound on QE2 in November(years ago) & the ocean was like glass.  another westbound in May on Prinsendam(16 days NYC to Barcelona) was a wild ride...thankfully both ships were built to handle TA's.

I've done a 13 day carib out of NYC on QM2 in February & she handled the ocean down the coast quite well...the design & size of the ship made the difference.  I wouldn't suggest a TA anytime of year on a smaller "CRUISE SHIP", as their  shallow draft does not make for  such a comfortable ride.

Another point to consider is having a midship cabin - you won't feel the motion as much.  As much as I think the suites in Queens & Princess Grills are wonderful they tend to be too high up & too far forward or aft.  Back in 2002 I sailed in QE2 on the first leg of her world cruise - I chose a One Deck midship cabin(the old first class deck) where alot of the repeat world cruise passengers were.  These repeaters / old salts always said they felt bad for the passengers that chose the newer forward upper suites.... you didn't want to be there crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans...and certain other areas.

Children will have plenty to do & they are pampered by passengers, crew & officers alike.

Queen Mary 2 is a one off & there may never be a ship like her built again - I'm looking to book the Rome to NYC in June for one last ride....  go for it!!!

• Like 2

We have done a Disney Dover to NYC in 2019 it was great. not many kids as it's longer and more sea days, we missed ports so it was mainly sea days. The atmosphere on board is different as they tend to have active Facebook groups who organise events alongside the cruise lines own events. Also as it was not as busy as a normal cruise the crew got to know you more and it seemed less impersonal than many cruises can be. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:58 AM, DenGNNJ said:

It's pretty amazing...you should definitely do it!  We sailed in Princess Grill and in Queen's Grill, and both were amazing experiences.  We've also done a crossing not in the Grills, and that was great too (the fact that it was our honeymoon may have helped!)

To OP, I started crossing with my family when I was four, and have done dozens of crossings since- all were great, even in rougher weather.  As a kid, it was an amazing adventure.  As an adult, it's my favorite type of trip.

As far as dressing up on Cunard, it's actually easier, as you can wear the same tuxedo or dark suit every night...as long as you don't spill!😉  Or dance the night away in the disco.🕺

Hope it works out for you.

• Like 2

We've done several TA's and loved each one.  There was also a number of kids on the Harmony back in 10/2021 which was surprising to me until I found out that it was Europe's spring break.  Fantastic time and you'll get some quality bonding time in with your son.  Our last TA was on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas in 04/2022 and it also was great, just not as many kids, maybe 10.  You'll like the gym too (with a great steam/sauna room).  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, JoshuaLifter said:

Hi! Has anyone done a transatlantic cruise? I am thinking of taking my son on his first transatlantic cruise, just checking to see if anyone has any recommendations or experiences? What were the highs and lows? Huge gym guy so a great workout area is a must!

Thanks Joshua!

How old is your kid?  IMO that would be the deciding factor in what ship to do the TA on.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

We've the Queen Mary II from Southampton to New York and loved it. However, I'm not sure it would be much fun for a child. It's a rather sedate ship with more educational offerings than flashy game shows and such (which we really appreciated). It more formal than most other lines (again, a plus for us), and the clientele seems to skew older.  I think it's the only cruise on which we were part of the young and slim set.  (I should note that in the real world we are neither.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1