Using the NCL APP while On Board

Wedgie Wedgie

I searched and could not find useful answers here. 

If I use the app while onboard is it gonna chew up my very few at sea internet minutes? I have a 10 day approaching with 150 internet minutes.

If I peruse the dailies on the app, whooops- would you like to buy more minutes sir?

The NCL App connects to ship's WiFi inTRAnet only for most functionalities, and does not count against your "free" inTERnet minutes.  InTRAnet access is not valid for online access to email, web browsing or other common inTERnet usage, but you can NCL's portal, CC's website and to check your OnBoard Account, etc. free of charges and deduction from data/airtime minutes.  

Stop at the iCafe desk once onboard to pickup a printed guide with FAQ on how to, and the iCafe manager has posted hours to help answer questions, etc. - feel free to ask for & get help.  It's not rocket science just a little common sense on what's doable.  To access the inTERnet, you need to log in and must always remember to log out or sign off to stop the "metering" countdown against your free minutes of data.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

If I use the app while onboard is it gonna chew up my very few at sea internet minutes? I have a 10 day approaching with 150 internet minutes.

No. You can connect to the ship's intra-net (wifi) for free. It gives you access to the freestyle daily, your room account, allows you to book shows and dining. If you log on to the inter-net, you will start the clock on your free minutes. You have to log off as soon as you're done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

I searched and could not find useful answers here. 

If I peruse the dailies on the app, whooops- would you like to buy more minutes sir?

The answer should be no it shouldn’t eat up minutes but that’s not necessary the case.. I was on a European cruise and every time I just tried to use the App it started counting down minutes, if I disconnected, the App wouldn’t open, I went to the help desk, they claimed to fix it but nothing changed. I ended up just giving up on it and wasted all my allotted minutes. It wasn’t worth the hassle to stand in line longer than I already had to get it resolved…

Edited by CruiseDealSweeper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Can you make wi fi calls on NCL internet? Specifically the Joy?

Yes...but we were on the Getaway. We had scheduled a home inspection on the house we were in the process of purchasing while we were on a cruise. Ooops...well the house hunting did happen after we booked the cruise, so ya know...anyway, the way we planned it was that we'd be in Norfolk for the day of the house inspection. Then, NCL decided to delay the ship's departure from NYC by eight hours, so they canceled the Norfolk stop. 

Due to this, we purchased the unlimited Wi-Fi package (not streaming) so we could make a Wi-Fi call to the realtor and home inspector. We were successfully able to view photos, download a large (80 page) home inspection report, and talk with everyone for more than an hour each using the Wi-Fi. It wasn't ideal, but hey, it worked.

Rumor has it that Joy is testing Starlink so you might have even better results than we did back in April. Here's the rumor (post 1075): 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes...but we were on the Getaway. We had scheduled a home inspection on the house we were in the process of purchasing while we were on a cruise. Ooops...well the house hunting did happen after we booked the cruise, so ya know...anyway, the way we planned it was that we'd be in Norfolk for the day of the house inspection. Then, NCL decided to delay the ship's departure from NYC by eight hours, so they canceled the Norfolk stop. 

Due to this, we purchased the unlimited Wi-Fi package (not streaming) so we could make a Wi-Fi call to the realtor and home inspector. We were successfully able to view photos, download a large (80 page) home inspection report, and talk with everyone for more than an hour each using the Wi-Fi. It wasn't ideal, but hey, it worked.

Rumor has it that Joy is testing Starlink so you might have even better results than we did back in April. Here's the rumor (post 1075): 

Great, thank you

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We plan to buy an ulimited wi-fi package so we can make calls to check on elderly relatives. Did you have your phone on the Airplane mode while using unlimited Wi-fi?