We Did The Impossible!

hillbillycruisers

8 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

If I'm being honest, fellow travelers, I stress much more if I want something and don't have it, than I do with checking my luggage.  Imma bring those big ol' bags.  

We fly from Canada and right now there is a major issue with two of the airports we fly through with delays especially for luggage.  I've had friends not be able to get on their flight because their bag wasn't going to make it to the next plane. 
It's a lot less stressful right now for us to fly carry-on.  No worrying about making connections.  Well.  Other than the customs line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephPS79 said:

If I'm being honest, fellow travelers, I stress much more if I want something and don't have it, than I do with checking my luggage.  Imma bring those big ol' bags.  

It's ALL good! 👍

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

We fly from Canada and right now there is a major issue with two of the airports we fly through with delays especially for luggage.  I've had friends not be able to get on their flight because their bag wasn't going to make it to the next plane. 
It's a lot less stressful right now for us to fly carry-on.  No worrying about making connections.  Well.  Other than the customs line. 

That's really how we feel with respect to Europe.  We spent about 15 days over there with 10 on Pride.  We embarked the ship after 4 days in Rome and were thrilled to give our steward a laundry bag literally on day #1.  Being able to launder socks, underwear and T-shirts makes a huge difference.

6 hours ago, Bulldogsoc said:

My teenage son and I did a nine day Norwegian cruise on the Pride this summer out of Dover (from Toronto) with small tactical backpacks only as we did not want to deal with checked airline baggage and we were fine.  Mind you we wore our jackets and hiking shoes and thickest clothes onto the plane and then just doffed them.  We did a load of laundry half way through and we both had stuff we did not wear. Our family for four plans to do the same for our 8 Magic cruise over Xmas.

We are doing the same cruise next June.  How much cold weather gear did you use?

12 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I truly support this idea, I just don't ever see myself being able to do it lol.  I'll be honest, it's not because I'm bringing too much clothing.  I'm pretty standard, but I do like a fresh t-shirt from day to day (I'm clumsy, something will always end up on me, usually coffee).   I don't think I could ever go without my little travel fan, and while small, would take up the whole carry on.  I also can't seem to whittle my toiletries down to a quart-sized back to make it through TSA.

Kudos to all who have beat the system, but it's just not for me!  lol.  

9 hours ago, elmojessi said:

What do you all do about sunscreen then?  This is my biggest sticking point with carryons.

They sell the carry on size tubes.  My wife will actually pack 2-3 quart sized toiletry bags for herself.  I can manage one.  The airlines don't care.  

45 minutes ago, jsglow said:

They sell the carry on size tubes.  My wife will actually pack 2-3 quart sized toiletry bags for herself.  I can manage one.  The airlines don't care.  

This. Put a quart size bag in both the backpack and the carry on. TSA isn't going to know that both of them belong to you. 

12 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

But….but…..SHOES?!?!!! 😂 

Wear sneakers, and pack flip flops and dressier sandals. If you ha have room for one more pair, throw in some loafers or topsiders and stuff them full of socks and underwear. 

Easy Peasy. 

36 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Wear sneakers, and pack flip flops and dressier sandals. If you ha have room for one more pair, throw in some loafers or topsiders and stuff them full of socks and underwear. 

Easy Peasy. 

So, if I'm counting correctly, this would mean only bringing on 4 pairs of shoes, max?😱  Never.  Never could I do that for a cruise.  Heck, I take more than 4 pairs on my fly-to land-based Bahamas trips.  I'm loath to admit how many pairs I pack for my drive-to-port cruises.🤭

Seriously, though, y'all who pack light and are happy with it, I'm happy for you.  You do you.

• Haha 2

For the record, although I, too, "don't spend my time checking out other pax wardrobe," I disagree with the statement: "No One notices what you're wearing from day to day."  Although I'm not looking for people dressed in the same clothes over and over again, I can't help but notice it sometimes.  Sometimes it just jumps out at me.  Especially when it is a distinctive outfit, or a particular printed T-shirt with a slogan, etc.  Or the clothes a particularly noticeable person happens to be re-wearing. 

And I can tell you from personal experience, on at least one Carnival cruise, at least one fellow passenger noticed what I wore from day to day.  I know because on the 4th or 5th day of the cruise, this complete stranger (older than my father BTW) stopped at my Lido Deck table as he was passing by and said something like "I just wanted to let you know you are always dressed so lovely."  This was not said in a creepy or flirty way.  He had noticed and appreciated my attire and was paying me a nice compliment.  Although my intention was not "dressing to impress," it made my day to be told that.😊

• Like 1

I don't really notice what other people are wearing and whether or not they are wearing something more than once, but for me, I don't want to wear the same tops because i don't want to have pics of me wearing the same thing. 🤪  I do try to pack carry on only and have succeeded when we did an 8 day trip to San Francisco, but I need a little more stuff for a cruise than I did for SF.  We are also driving to the cruise port so there's no reason why I have to pack light.  I have always been of the mindset, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Edited by amydresh
  • Like 2