Missed port

Vampiress88

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There are far worse places to visit than the canary islands, the only problem I have with Lanzarote, is that the shuttle now drops you off in the marina complex, leaving you with twice the distance from the ship into the town centre than used to be the case.

Last time we cruised into Lanzarote was pre pandemic with RC and Celebrity .In February we go on Azura so will find out about the drop off. In April we stayed in Lanzarote for 2 weeks. We like to explore a bit, but as this will only be a day trip will probably go into town. I don't think we had the need of a shuttle, but will have to see what P&O offer. We have been to 6 of the Canary Islands and enjoyed them all.

• Like 6

I like the Canary islands and have visited each several times. When I am in Tenerife next Monday week I will probably go to La Laguna on the tram if the weather is OK and I can work out how to use the ticket machine. What I need is specific instructions on how to work the thing. Last time I tried for La Laguna it rained as soon as I got there.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I haven't booked a cruise going to the Canaries and I wouldn't! I've been to all the Canary islands so I've had plenty of opportunity to make an informed opinion that they're just not pleasant places to visit.

Good to read as we have our first ever 2 week cruise next summer & chose to go to the Canaries  🥴 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I like the Canary islands and have visited each several times. When I am in Tenerife next Monday week I will probably go to La Laguna on the tram if the weather is OK and I can work out how to use the ticket machine. What I need is specific instructions on how to work the thing. Last time I tried for La Laguna it rained as soon as I got there.

We always go to La Laguna by tram. There are instructions in English by hitting the right flag. Otherwise people will help you. Make sure you sit at the back facing backwards to see the views. 

• Thanks 1

We have really enjoyed visiting the Manrique Fundacion from Arrecife. It's only about three miles from the port where you can pick up a taxi. 

Manrique's artistic influence is very much a feature of Lanzarote and the Fundacion was his home fashioned from five lava bubbles which he excavated, connected via tunnels, furnished and decorated in the most imaginative way. One bubble even has a palm tree growing out through a hole in the top of a bubble.  A ground level building has a window complete with lava flow passing through it and looking across towards Timanfaya.  It's all so eclectic. It's all full of his work - even down to the labels for the loos!   We've been several times and I find it fascinating - we shall go again on our next visit.  There is a small cafe for a coffee and they will ring for a taxi for you when you're ready to leave.  

Might be worth considering for a half day - certainly would be something very different if you want a variety of experiences during your cruise.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/fundacion-cesar-manrique

• Like 4

We wanted to go to lanzarote mainly as its come up before to go for a week but I’d like to see it first.

So far we loved Madeira, very pretty.

Tenerife was so so in the town but those pools made it for us 

fyi- no one mentioned the topless women.

Gran Canaria I can’t say we liked but had we have had the weather we did in Tenerife then we would have been on the beach and that looked nice. 

we are in Cadiz tomorrow- if anyone has any good ideas let me know then we are in Lisbon. We have the custard tart to find on the list 😂 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We wanted to go to lanzarote mainly as its come up before to go for a week but I’d like to see it first.

So far we loved Madeira, very pretty.

Tenerife was so so in the town but those pools made it for us 

fyi- no one mentioned the topless women.

Gran Canaria I can’t say we liked but had we have had the weather we did in Tenerife then we would have been on the beach and that looked nice. 

we are in Cadiz tomorrow- if anyone has any good ideas let me know then we are in Lisbon. We have the custard tart to find on the list 😂 

For the custard tart I can recommend Confeitaria Nacionale.   We went there at the end of October on Aurora.  Good quality, good coffee, inexpensive 

FB7F6DC4-7973-487F-97F6-BCC39C06BF0C.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

we are in Cadiz tomorrow- if anyone has any good ideas let me know

Walk to the right diagonaly from the ship onto the promenade through all the gardens to the beach on the other side. Cadiz is very thin and you can’t really get lost. 

1 hour ago, happy v said:

This is where we intend going in March. Thanks for letting us know about the return taxi.

It was the ticket office where we asked about a taxi the first time but I think one time we just walked to the gate - the ticket office is just inside - and saw a taxi dropping someone off and he was happy to take us back.  Another occasion we asked the taxi which took us up to come back a couple of hours later but it's hard to judge how long you need to be there.  There is a garden to look around too and as I mentioned a small cafe/coffee bar (nothing special when we were there, but a chance to get a drink).  I hope you enjoy it -  I'm sure you'll find it really interesting.  I was in awe of the imagination involved.  What a creative mind! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, zap99 said:

Last time we cruised into Lanzarote was pre pandemic with RC and Celebrity .In February we go on Azura so will find out about the drop off. In April we stayed in Lanzarote for 2 weeks. We like to explore a bit, but as this will only be a day trip will probably go into town. I don't think we had the need of a shuttle, but will have to see what P&O offer. We have been to 6 of the Canary Islands and enjoyed them all.

I came back from Azura on Friday and can confirm the shuttle bus took us to the port gates - it was quite a walk as we were behind another ship. I rated The town in Lanzarote lowest of all the ports we visited - probably due to the last few years.  Lots of businesses closed down etc.  Shuttles also operated in Madeira.   I paid my final balance for the same cruise in February on Saturday (hedging my bets!).   Looks like there are a few of us on that month - wonder if anyone has the same week(s)? 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:41 PM, Vampiress88 said:

Do you think this letter will be good enough?

image.jpg

I hope so.  I did go down to reception and ask if this is all they issue and is acceptable for insurance claim, and they confirmed it was.  Have tried to claim from insurance today, but can not find a relevant section on the online claim form to tick.  Claims office only open mon-fri, so will leave for now.

40 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I hope so.  I did go down to reception and ask if this is all they issue and is acceptable for insurance claim, and they confirmed it was.  Have tried to claim from insurance today, but can not find a relevant section on the online claim form to tick.  Claims office only open mon-fri, so will leave for now.

When we went on a Med cruise last year we had two missed ports. We had letters from      P&O, when it came to filling in the claim form we had the same problem as you. We rang the insurance company and they told us which section to complete and we received £300 each quite quickly We would never have managed it ourselves as it didn’t seem to relate to ‘missed ports’ at all. I may be being cynical but we did wonder if this was done deliberately to put people off claiming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Our claim was on a Cunard cruise but very similar wording. The insurance company also asked for the invoice for the cruise. Claiming by phone was not easy so I took photos of both and attached them to the online form on the insurers website.  Payment was made within the week. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

If you are with St....re I know what you mean about the absence of the correct box to tick, but I know it is one of two possibles that you have to use, either Missed Departure or Travel Delay, and I am pretty sure it is Missed Departure - try it.

I think it then asks you if it is a missed port and then all is well.

It worked for me a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:24 PM, kruzseeka said:

We have really enjoyed visiting the Manrique Fundacion from Arrecife. It's only about three miles from the port where you can pick up a taxi. 

Manrique's artistic influence is very much a feature of Lanzarote and the Fundacion was his home fashioned from five lava bubbles which he excavated, connected via tunnels, furnished and decorated in the most imaginative way. One bubble even has a palm tree growing out through a hole in the top of a bubble.  A ground level building has a window complete with lava flow passing through it and looking across towards Timanfaya.  It's all so eclectic. It's all full of his work - even down to the labels for the loos!   We've been several times and I find it fascinating - we shall go again on our next visit.  There is a small cafe for a coffee and they will ring for a taxi for you when you're ready to leave.  

Might be worth considering for a half day - certainly would be something very different if you want a variety of experiences during your cruise.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/fundacion-cesar-manrique

This is what I want to do if I visit Lanzarote again, last time we did the ‘fire mountain’ which I really enjoyed.

• Like 1