Getaway Spa Balcony Question

ttws321

Hi,

I'm sailing on the Getaway for the first time with 2 friends. The 3 of us are sharing a balcony cabin located midship on Deck 10.

We can "upgrade" to a Spa Balcony for $460.00 for the 3 of us ( around 150 each). This would give the 3 of us unlimited access to the Thermal Suite for the cruise.

The downside is we would have a forward cabin on Deck 14. Cruising out of NYC  in cold weather, so I'm sure the seas are going to be rough and my two friends are first time cruisers.

Thoughts on whether this is a good idea/deal or just stick with what we have?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ttws321 said:

Hi,

I'm sailing on the Getaway for the first time with 2 friends. The 3 of us are sharing a balcony cabin located midship on Deck 10.

We can "upgrade" to a Spa Balcony for $460.00 for the 3 of us ( around 150 each). This would give the 3 of us unlimited access to the Thermal Suite for the cruise.

The downside is we would have a forward cabin on Deck 14. Cruising out of NYC  in cold weather, so I'm sure the seas are going to be rough and my two friends are first time cruisers.

Thanks!

How long is your cruise. When are you sailing? My wife and I went from a Spa Balcony to a Haven Spa Balcony for our 12 day. The thermal spa is great on those cold / cooler days

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ttws321 said:

It's an 8 day from NYC this December......Brrrrrr!

Thats a good deal, I would take it. Spa passes will cost you more that $140 each for an 8 day cruise. The weather is what it is, it might be rough or fairly calm. Our cruise in January 2018 on the BA was very smooth going south and very rough coming back

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ttws321 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

As others have said, I would take it! Thermal suite passes for an eight day cruise are well north of $200 per person (not sure of exact price given it's variable by cruise). I'm guessing on a January cruise, out of Manhattan, it will be pricey. 

I personally don't care where I am on the ship - I've been all the way forward and at the aft. I'm blessed not to have motion sickness. You can get motion sick anywhere, so you should bring whatever medicine is used nowadays. Just FYI - the thermal suite is as far forward as you can possibly get, so if you're going to spend time in there, you'll have the same concern as your room, though the room is likely not as far forward as the thermal suite. 

12 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I would leave it alone.  

On Embarkation Day, you can tour the Spa.  Then you can buy passes.

Don't wait until embarkation day to purchase the pass. They will like be sold out by then, plus they'll cost a wee bit if any are available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

As others have said, I would take it! Thermal suite passes for an eight day cruise are well north of $200 per person (not sure of exact price given it's variable by cruise). I'm guessing on a January cruise, out of Manhattan, it will be pricey. 

I personally don't care where I am on the ship - I've been all the way forward and at the aft. I'm blessed not to have motion sickness. You can get motion sick anywhere, so you should bring whatever medicine is used nowadays. Just FYI - the thermal suite is as far forward as you can possibly get, so if you're going to spend time in there, you'll have the same concern as your room, though the room is likely not as far forward as the thermal suite. 

Don't wait until embarkation day to purchase the pass. They will like be sold out by then, plus they'll cost a wee bit if any are available. 

I would jump on this deal ASAP even if my other friends didn’t want to split the cost. It’s a little bit more than the cost of a spa pass for 1 person (around $300 USD).

My husband and I had the Thermal spa pass when we traveled on the Escape and we planned on getting it for our Dec cruise on the Getaway from NYC.

It was really convenient to shower and get dressed in the change room after my morning work-out and if we used the pools in the evening. The change room is huge and has great views of the water. Also my husband and I were not bumping into each other in our cabin.

I’m packing an extra tote bag to carry my hair products, hair brush and tools, and makeup. And if I have space in my carry on; a large capacity insulated water bottle, travel mug, and small Tupperware so I can have wine and cheese on the heated loungers.

• Like 2

I just saw that I had an invite to put in an ugrade bid. I put in a bid for the Spa Club Balcony ($250 for 3 people) which is more mid than forward, and The Spa Balcony, forward ($200 for 3 people)...which were the minimum bids....I figured I'd give it shot and keep an eye on the non bid upgrade rooms available which is a guarantee but also costs more than if these bids were to be accepted.

We're on a budget so we're trying to get the most for the least....lol 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just booked 2 days ago and we sail in 35 days!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ttws321 said:

I just saw that I had an invite to put in an ugrade bid. I put in a bid for the Spa Club Balcony ($250 for 3 people) which is more mid than forward, and The Spa Balcony, forward ($200 for 3 people)...which were the minimum bids....I figured I'd give it shot and keep an eye on the non bid upgrade rooms available which is a guarantee but also costs more than if these bids were to be accepted.

We're on a budget so we're trying to get the most for the least....lol 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just booked 2 days ago and we sail in 35 days!

Just to be sure you're aware... I'm pretty certain the bid amount is PER PERSON based on Double Occupancy.  So a $250 bid, will actually be charged as $500 to your credit card.  This would be more than the $460 you originally discussed.  You probably saw this when bidding, but I didn't want you to be surprised.  I don't know how they deal with the 3rd person.  But I don't think it impacts the bid price.  I could be wrong.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Just to be sure you're aware... I'm pretty certain the bid amount is PER PERSON based on Double Occupancy.  So a $250 bid, will actually be charged as $500 to your credit card.  This would be more than the $460 you originally discussed.  You probably saw this when bidding, but I didn't want you to be surprised.  I don't know how they deal with the 3rd person.  But I don't think it impacts the bid price.  I could be wrong.

Yes, Thank you. I was aware of that. The bid wass 100 and 150 p/p so the totals were 200/250. I confirmed with A rep that the 3rd person upgrades for " free" no additonal charge!

• Like 1

Glad I saw this thread - we have option to upgrade to Spa Balcony for 100-200 PP on our 7 day cruise next month.  Wondering if it will be worth while.  My husband probably won't use it as he'd be out drinking (LoL!), I can see me using that as a place to chill.  Wondering if the price is worth it as I have no clue.  Maybe we will try minimum bid??  We already bought Vibe passes, are spa passes available in advance now??

UPDATE:  I found that we can by the passes in advance - $339 per person for our cruise so bidding on the Spa Balcony room is a good deal!

Edited by RunBikeCruiseDC

3 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Glad I saw this thread - we have option to upgrade to Spa Balcony for 100-200 PP on our 7 day cruise next month.  Wondering if it will be worth while.  My husband probably won't use it as he'd be out drinking (LoL!), I can see me using that as a place to chill.  Wondering if the price is worth it as I have no clue.  Maybe we will try minimum bid??  We already bought Vibe passes, are spa passes available in advance now??

You should be able to find thermal suite passes in the planning section of your MyNCL. If the ship has a thermal suite, I always figure out a way to get it. I'm cruising next on the Joy with no thermal suite. I know I'll miss it, but pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the cruise as we're going to Mexico and it'll be hot down there. 

I'm not sure about the bidding part - I always just book the room I want. Good luck to you and enjoy your Prima cruise!