Observations From The Poop Deck : BEYOND NOV 20-27 2022

morpheusofthesea

On 11/21/2022 at 9:58 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

The wifi service appears to be great. This premium Starlink comes complimentary with the cabin category up to 5 devices per guest. Go to the wifi icon on the top right corner of the screen and scroll to wifi guest Beyond and create a new account with number on key card. 

In this photo we were able to tieback the draperies leading out to the balcony with magnetic hooks and a thick shoe lace. The blackout drapery is permanently attached to the wall.

IMG_2413.jpg

Up to 5 devices per account!!  That would be great. On Oasis , with family, ,now and the system, probably the same for X and RCL makes it difficult to switch devices. I have 8 for the 8 of us. And somebody always gets kicked off and gets the message of reaching limit. So the tachs sais just use the switch devises till all was ok. Then I had 2 devices working and nobody was cut off,

we will beyond in Cozumal.

our boarding Sunday was delayed because one of the folks on the b2b did not leave the ship. So the boarding took place starting at 130 vs 11. 

whole thing handled well by RCL.

we had a big window between AM and PM  downpours, which apparently moved north to FLL at an untimely moment. 

Edited by HMR74

55 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

If he actually said this then it would be concerning…given that Beyond sailed out of Port Everglades.  😜

Of course you are correct again. Another of my faux pas. Having spent that last year on MSC out of the Port of Miami we are comparing everything we love about both cruise lines Retreat and Yacht Club. They are in a neck and neck horse race to the finish line.

• Like 1

Had lunch in the Luminae Restaurant.  The two special desserts were not 'my cup of tea' so I fell back on my old standby chocolate ice cream. DW felt sorry for me so she suggested we take the stairs and walk down to deck 4 to Al Bacio for more desserts. No lines, no waits, plenty of tables. Had a piece of marble cake, blueberry tart cake, and a madeleine  cookie. Took the elevator back up.

• Like 5

Had a bit of NON refundable OBC to use, so minus 3 chocolate bars it came to $975. We went to the Guest Relations to find out if they had a credit card on file just in case we spend over the OBC limit and we are stopped from getting off the ship on the 27th because of a 'over the top' chocolate bar. Yes they had a credit card on file. Walking away from the purser is the ILounge kiosk with no line so we inquired if they had any apple products for sale. Only two items, watches and Macbook Pro. Sold out last cruise of Macbook Air. First question, always, when is your sale? Second question. How 'old' is your product ? No sales, and all the Apple products are new up to date, no old stock on the Beyond. So before the attendant 'rang up' the sale we walked back to the purser to make sure both our accounts were 'linked' into one account with the total $975 on the combined account. Walked back bought the Pro and proceeded to the purser to get our account update. We now owe Celebrity $361 no tax.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Had a bit of NON refundable OBC to use, so minus 3 chocolate bars it came to $975. We went to the Guest Relations to find out if they had a credit card on file just in case we spend over the OBC limit and we are stopped from getting off the ship on the 27th because of a 'over the top' chocolate bar. Yes they had a credit card on file. Walking away from the purser is the ILounge kiosk with no line so we inquired if they had any apple products for sale. Only two items, watches and Macbook Pro. Sold out last cruise of Macbook Air. First question, always, when is your sale? Second question. How 'old' is your product ? No sales, and all the Apple products are new up to date, no old stock on the Beyond. So before the attendant 'rang up' the sale we walked back to the purser to make sure both our accounts were 'linked' into one account with the total $975 on the combined account. Walked back bought the Pro and proceeded to the purser to get our account update. We now owe Celebrity $361 no tax.

I call that a 200pt-IQ play. Very well done. 

35 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

I call that a 200pt-IQ play. Very well done. 

It is really not any kind of smart play. It comes from having made all the mistakes mentioned. Also we learned, after the fact, that our benefit level used to include a 5% discount at many of the ship board shops, but only if one asks for it. I got this tidbit of information from overhearing a hard sell in 2021 on the Edge ILounge. The attendant was the Ilounge manager , when it was our turn I asked if we could get the same 5% discount. He said sure. The next time we boarded the Edge (again with mucho OBC) I asked for the Captain's Club 5% discount which they had to get manager approval, but then again it was the old stock and even though there was no longer a 5% discount the manager called our stateroom to say he would give it to us.

P.S. I already decided to post every daily planner I get this week for you. But thanks for the ego boost considering DW pet names for me are idiot, imbecile and moron.

• Haha 4

On 11/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Lunch in Luminae was great. Very elegant surroundings will post photos when we get luggage. Boarded at 11:00 am. Luminae opened 11:45 though posted 12 noon. Had the Cob Salad with chicken and bacon cubes. Bacon cubes, that was a first for me. Very attentive staff, Pete is the Maitre  ‘D, very nice and accommodating,

Muster  is quick and easy . Watch a video go to muster station and have key card scanned anytime until 3:30.

Brought along an old key card for power switch in cabin to keep lights on. No power saving key card device. One must flip switches like the ‘old days’.

Just so everyone does not make the same faux pas. The Maitre 'D 's name though spelled PETE is pronounced Petra.

58 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

....but did YOU like it?

An innocent enough question from you, but I am still learning 'the ropes' of CC etiquette and am reminded of a quote by Jean Sebelius  — "'Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic.'

• Haha 2

Our room service menu. Brought to our attention since every time we are in port the Luminae is closed for lunch. Yes we booked lunch at the Bistro (air conditioned). One can eat outdoors at the Retreat sun deck with six tables in the sun. The Oceanview Cafe buffet is one of the best at sea, but we shy away because it is SELF serve, even the pizza. Eden has a lovely lunch indoors or out, but most of the desserts have nuts, so there is always Al Bacio for dessert. (It is called 'a work around').

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477 2.jpg

16 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

An innocent enough question from you, but I am still learning 'the ropes' of CC etiquette and am reminded of a quote by Jean Sebelius  — "'Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic.'

Yes Sir. So true. No need for CC etiquette. I just wanted to know how you enjoyed the performance.

31 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I hope my post didn't dissuade you from expressing your opinion. I never meant for my post to cause any controversy and I apologize if it did. I enjoy reading your detailed trip reports and hope you view my posts just as an alternative viewpoint on something you said. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I hope my post didn't dissuade you from expressing your opinion. I never meant for my post to cause any controversy and I apologize if it did. I enjoy reading your detailed trip reports and hope you view my posts just as an alternative viewpoint on something you said. 

Thank you. Your critique  of me was justified. I do get carried away in the heat of a literary moment. 

P.S. Reminded of another quote " Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said." Voltaire

Edited by morpheusofthesea
p.s.
  • Like 5