What the food like in the Britannia Restaurant?

Ocean Mouse

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Still have to disagree with you, ( I'm referring to your post 9 -  referring to the photo provided by Port Royal you stated that you "Doubt BC will be like that")   I confirm that exact trolley ! with the double 'Domed shaped Perspex covering'  was brought to my table in Britannia Club on 5th June & 30th October Queen Victoria 2022.   I am retuning back onboard Q .Vic next month 11th December and will endeavour to provide a photo .   

Well if it was served like that in BC on 30th October then you had better service than in PG because we were on same cruise. Had cheese and biscuits every night and was never delivered table side like Port Royal photo just on an open tray on a trolley.

Edited by majortom10

17 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

For both the main Britannia as well as BC, are negative changes lately reduction of choices, reduction of quality, shrinking portions?
Any or all of the above?

For frame of reference last travelled BC on QM2 in 2018.

My experience, based on a recent QE cruise in Britannia compared to the last QV pre-covid cruise:

Much less variety in regards to kinds of fish and meat.

Niecer kinds and cuts were served very seldom, eg only once in 14 days lobster, only once a few tiny scallops.

Basically no real choice in meats, as out of 5 or 6 entrees at least two were vegan/vegetarian, one pasta, one chicken and one fish.

One night the only meat was pork,. Cunard, really?

The diminishing quality was for the most part due to lower qualtiy ingredients, but also maybe due to cheaper ways of preperation, eg. the consommes used to taste excellent like made from scratch, not so this time.

The portion size of the entrees varied a lot and were rather unpredictable. Sometimes they were very small like two tiny little slices of duck.

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

My experience, based on a recent QE cruise in Britannia compared to the last QV pre-covid cruise:

Much less variety in regards to kinds of fish and meat.

Niecer kinds and cuts were served very seldom, eg only once in 14 days lobster, only once a few tiny scallops.

Basically no real choice in meats, as out of 5 or 6 entrees at least two were vegan/vegetarian, one pasta, one chicken and one fish.

One night the only meat was pork,. Cunard, really?

The diminishing quality was for the most part due to lower qualtiy ingredients, but also maybe due to cheaper ways of preperation, eg. the consommes used to taste excellent like made from scratch, not so this time.

The portion size of the entrees varied a lot and were rather unpredictable. Sometimes they were very small like two tiny little slices of duck.

I will be very disappointed if this occurs on my QE cruise in June.  The corporate people at Cunard/Carnival should make a decision of where they want to position Cunard.  Do they want it to be another Carnival Cruise ship like experience or do they want to offer something a little more upscale, maybe like Oceania.  There are only a small number of Cunard ships they can easily make it a little more upscale and just raise the prices a small amount and keep the quality of food high.

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Some of the main courses on the non Gala night menus from the second week of our cruise on Queen Victoria in October. I never had any problem choosing something.

IMG_20221121_195340256.jpg

IMG_20221121_195941697.jpg

IMG_20221121_195425137.jpg

IMG_20221121_195447563.jpg

IMG_20221121_195515067.jpg

Was this Britania?

The description looks fine.  Was the quality there?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Rack of lamb was not [as far as I recall] on Britannia menus for our recent 26 night sailing - but I do recall seeing it being served on the Kings Court buffet one evening - [I think I had venison that night]

It was definately served in Britannia on our 19 night cruise in September. Also plenty of beef, including some fillet steak. Several chicken and lamb dishes, a few pork, plus a good variety of fish and vegetarian. We felt it was often better than pre covid days.

Yes, the starters and desserts are sometimes on the smaller side. But when you are eating three course meals every day for the whole cruise, you really don't need them to be any larger!! If you do need more, just ask for a second starter/dessert. Or add in a soup and/or salad course.

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Well if it was served like that in BC on 30th October then you had better service than in PG because we were on same cruise. Had cheese and biscuits every night and was never delivered table side like Port Royal photo just on an open tray on a trolley.

The photo is exactly what I experienced on the QM2 on my Northern Lights journey, which just ended in NYC yesterday Nov. 20th, in the BC (Britannia Club).

There were two nights on the recent Northern Lights 26-day journey with lamb offerings - not certain if they were rack of lamb or some other style as I am not into lamb.

Food is a very individual opinion, but I was very pleased with the variety of choices.  Although there was some repetition in the 26-day Northern Lights trip,  I was impressed with the quality of the food.